Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I thought that you could use DC engines and a wooden gear to run grinders, no power loss from the worm. Or, DC engine to run one steam engine, wooden gear, grinder.

I know the wind turbine is skippable -- in fact, given that it's only of use at high altitude, and needs gears, it's more of "why is it there"? Other than using two of them and a worm to run a grinder back when wooden gears would not.

One wind turbine has the power to run a grinder, but needs a 32 times gearbox. So that's either two of them, or 4 DC's, or one DC and one steam.

But it sounds like people are saying that once you have a grinder, the next engines you make are the AC engine and performance engine, skipping the steam/gas engines for everything after the startup.

===

What is the goal? Should all of (steam, gas, AC, performance) be required tech tiers? The magnetizing unit can run from 4 wind turbines and a 2x gear; or one steam engine and a 4x gear. If you want to force the gas engine, make the magnetizing unit more expensive to run (would have to be more than 4 times as expensive as it currently is).

Or is the AC engine a valid successor to the DC engine? Should redstone plus wind be enough to get up to AC?

EDIT: 64K and 8K rads for the fractionator? Isn't that 4 steam and a 16x gear? Is that steam to micro-turbine?

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I thought that you could use DC engines and a wooden gear to run grinders, no power loss from the worm. Or, DC engine to run one steam engine, wooden gear, grinder.

I know the wind turbine is skippable -- in fact, given that it's only of use at high altitude, and needs gears, it's more of "why is it there"? Other than using two of them and a worm to run a grinder back when wooden gears would not.

One wind turbine has the power to run a grinder, but needs a 32 times gearbox. So that's either two of them, or 4 DC's, or one DC and one steam.

But it sounds like people are saying that once you have a grinder, the next engines you make are the AC engine and performance engine, skipping the steam/gas engines for everything after the startup.

===

What is the goal? Should all of (steam, gas, AC, performance) be required tech tiers? The magnetizing unit can run from 4 wind turbines and a 2x gear; or one steam engine and a 4x gear. If you want to force the gas engine, make the magnetizing unit more expensive to run (would have to be more than 4 times as expensive as it currently is).

Or is the AC engine a valid successor to the DC engine? Should redstone plus wind be enough to get up to AC?

EDIT: 64K and 8K rads for the fractionator? Isn't that 4 steam and a 16x gear? Is that steam to micro-turbine?
Going straight from steam (or even DC!) to performance engine is the problem.

Also, a DC engine cannot run a grinder.

fredfredburger

Jul 29, 2019
Going straight from steam (or even DC!) to performance engine is the problem.
Wait, you're saying that skipping gasoline engines and going straight for performance engines is an unacceptable jump? I tend to use gasoline engines anyway since one can power a boring machine well enough and the decrease in operation time of a performance engine isn't worth the extra supply line required. I see the hydrostatics and wind turbines to be niche power supplies for near-bedrock and mountain sages, respectively. The electrics I see as more of small-machine power source that you can hook up as part of a processing chain for background tasks (water pumping, sugarcane grinding, fermenters, etc.) And I don't really even see the problem with using a bunch of DC engines to run a grinder; in every case it's easier to make and use a single steam engine. It's more a case of "look what I can do!" than an exploitative method.

Last edited:

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I think the performance engine thing was an oversight. It always seemed odd that you could craft a better ethanol engine and all it costed you was some extra gold and HSLA.
I think the performance engine should be THE gasoline engine. Turf the lesser one or make it so you need high performance cylinders that require a little bit of tungsten in the recipy.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, grinder will give lube, hydros need lube, can you actually go from DC to hydro? Please tell me that won't work :)
No, the reason for that though is that hydros need spring steel and that needs 1150 degrees in a blast furnace. Pretty sure the lowest way to get that is three performance engines, you'd probably be better off just making a microturbine though.

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
It always seemed odd that you could craft a better ethanol engine and all it costed you was some extra gold and HSLA.

It is only seems like. In reality you need more infrastructure to use this engine. Cooling + reagents are not so easy when you progress in Rotary craft without(or before) other mods.

Reactions: Plasmasnake

JohnOC

Jul 29, 2019
4 DC engines provide 4K power.
The grinder needs 4K power.

Hmm, grinder will give lube, hydros need lube, can you actually go from DC to hydro? Please tell me that won't work :)

4 DC engines give 4k power minus the losses from the gears that you don't have lube for, meaning you can't run the grinder.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
4 DC engines give 4k power minus the losses from the gears that you don't have lube for, meaning you can't run the grinder.
Not quite true, wooden gearboxes don't require lubricant after all so you have a window where they'll work to transform power but won't have started taking damage to make it not function. Specifically they heat up by one degree a second when running and don't start taking damage till they pass 90 degrees so depending on your location you should have a minute or two of perfect transformation before you have to break it and replace it to reset the temperature.

JohnOC

Jul 29, 2019
Not quite true, wooden gearboxes don't require lubricant after all so you have a window where they'll work to transform power but won't have started taking damage to make it not function. Specifically they heat up by one degree a second when running and don't start taking damage till they pass 90 degrees so depending on your location you should have a minute or two of perfect transformation before you have to break it and replace it to reset the temperature.

You're right. The setup made 152 mB of lubricant before the gearbox caught fire and was destroyed.

That makes about 105 wooden gearboxes per vat of lube, plus or minus a few, on easy. So I guess it is possible to go without a steam engine.. but I'd sure rather just make the frigging steam engine.

Last edited:

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019

Alternatively, you can make 4 steam engines (-/+ water pump one) and get zero maintenance set up :) . After that just by adding friction heater,driven by another steam engine, you have triple ore production which does not require any further babysitting or consumable resources.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I think the performance engine thing was an oversight. It always seemed odd that you could craft a better ethanol engine and all it costed you was some extra gold and HSLA.
I think the performance engine should be THE gasoline engine. Turf the lesser one or make it so you need high performance cylinders that require a little bit of tungsten in the recipy.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Tungsten requires 1350C to smelt, putting it after jet fuel in the techtree. Perhaps a new item is needed...but what does a high-performance car engine (the Performance engine is based off of what you would see in a $90K sports car) have that a "normal" car engine (the Gasoline engine is based off the engine in your average car) does not, and something that requires processing to produce?

You're right. The setup made 152 mB of lubricant before the gearbox caught fire and was destroyed.

That makes about 105 wooden gearboxes per vat of lube, plus or minus a few, on easy. So I guess it is possible to go without a steam engine.. but I'd sure rather just make the frigging steam engine.
...Cool the gearbox? Or use a worm gear?

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
I'm thinking of aluminum, but you'd have to make it rare enough to offset some other mods.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I'm thinking of aluminum, but you'd have to make it rare enough to offset some other mods.

Aluminum is an extractor byproduct...I like that, but I need some variant that is not OreDictable, or it causes another Tungsten issue.

...This would also be another material I would have to specify, like tungsten and bedrock, under the "do not OreDict this as part of a pack" rules.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Titanium? I'm just throwing that out, and the only mod I'm aware of that produces it is Mariculture--and even that takes effort to produce.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
So I asked my roommate, who knows cars. He basically said that the difference between a common car's engine and a high-end car's engine is that the high-end engine has more work done for tuning -- better parts such as cams, etc., and time spent adjusting/tuning it.

How about saying that a performance engine starts with a normal engine, some parts that require a good temperature to make, and an "engine tuning machine" to upgrade a normal engine to the high-end engine?

Requiring 70Kw of power would eliminate the 4 steam engine shortcut, but it would permit an AC power source (or two gas engines).

JohnOC

Jul 29, 2019
what does a high-performance car engine (the Performance engine is based off of what you would see in a $90K sports car) have that a "normal" car engine (the Gasoline engine is based off the engine in your average car) does not, and something that requires processing to produce?

A turbocharger?
That just basically makes the answer "more steel" for a compressor or requires tungsten for the compound compressor. But maybe that is enough? I'm kind of in agreement with Azzanine that the difference in cost from the gasoline to performance engines (20 steel and 5 gold) seems on the trivial side.
What about making a turbocharger part (2 compressors and a shaft, some steel) and needing it to be infused with lubricant in the filling station for a processing step?

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech uses titanium, then again it uses pretty much every realistic material somewhere so that will always really be an issue if it matters. It tends to be rather effective on its own behalf at tiering materials so they require significant infrastructure and effort to get though.