Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I think you may have to tier bevel gears and shaft junctions like you do shafts and gearboxes. Also unless it's unrealistic I would change the diamond level material to your sintered tungsten so it properly gates the level of power you can combine and manage. As you end up in a similar position with performance engines, why bother with HSLA transmission when you can spend a few measly diamonds which other mods have made easy as trash to accumulate (yours included). Then again this depends on how easy other mods make diamonds. But while you can't skipp HSLA you can assuming you have the diamonds skip HSLA transmission. I guess this isn't an issue for those thag start RoC early.
Also I always wondered what place wood and stone transmission had in your tech tree, I guess it's just an option for those iron poor folks or an option to be resource efficient for low energy systems. All I know is that I can get enough HSLA accumulated to not need to be thrifty and use wood or stone. Plus the gearboxes need for lube means you start with a HSLA wormgear for the grinder (or junctiom 4 steam engines) meaning you pretty much need to stockpile HSLA anyways. And as previously mentioned if you had enough diamonds you can skip further.

Also as an aside don't know if you have stated it already but is there any reason you haven't hosted your mods on Curse?
I think I know the answer will be one regarding control of your works, your trust or lack there of Curse and or some ethical point, but I don't want to assume.
It's making my testing of my curse launcher pack somewhat deviod of RoC and it's ilk. I guess I can just add it manually (as it's 100% private). But it means your mods will still have to be manually updated too. As it would be invisible to Curses mod update feature.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech uses titanium, then again it uses pretty much every realistic material somewhere so that will always really be an issue if it matters. It tends to be rather effective on its own behalf at tiering materials so they require significant infrastructure and effort to get though.

So what? You need infrastructure to get tungsten and then bedrock, notice, you are not limited by means to reach this goal. All is not so expensive in terms of material in contrast to Greg's staff, but you need power generation instead. It seems from helicopter view trivial, but when you come to time/efficiency ratio all is less obvious. For instance fusion reactor is nothing more than a steel/magnets and bunch of wool and a few nether stars.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
So what? You need infrastructure to get tungsten and then bedrock, notice, you are not limited by means to reach this goal. All is not so expensive in terms of material in contrast to Greg's staff, but you need power generation instead. It seems from helicopter view trivial, but when you come to time/efficiency ratio all is less obvious. For instance fusion reactor is nothing more than a steel/magnets and bunch of wool and a few nether stars.
Xavion's just pointing out that trying to find a non-oredicted material will be difficult, and that its not always a critical issue so long as both mods (hypothetically) handle it in a tiered way.

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
Aluminum is an extractor byproduct...I like that, but I need some variant that is not OreDictable, or it causes another Tungsten issue.

...This would also be another material I would have to specify, like tungsten and bedrock, under the "do not OreDict this as part of a pack" rules.
You have other alloyed HSLA ingots that fit the bill (ie: spring steel, bedrock) so why not consider another high-performance, heat resistant alloy from the Aluminum family? Is blacklisting these materials non-trivial?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypereutectic_piston

Of note, this alloy is not without its problems and motorheads debate long and wide about its application in heavy-duty high performance jobs. Like drag racing, for instance, where people run their engines right to the ragged edge of detonation. Eutectic aluminum alloys tend to fail more catastrophically than high quality forged steel pistons, although both do ultimately fail in these extremes of abuse. But is that the sort of performance engine you had in mind? Would it be worth modeling a eutectic piston's failure point without also considering HSLA steel within roughly the same threshold?

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I think I found the solution. Alloying silicon and aluminum, both of which are Extractor products, at 800C in the blast furnace produces silumin, an Al-Si alloy that is used in these sorts of applications, as well as being perfectly where needed in the techtree, necessitating both a working (if slow) Extractor and at least 131kW of power.

Once again, balancing off of real life fit it perfectly into the techtree. :D

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Also I always wondered what place wood and stone transmission had in your tech tree, I guess it's just an option for those iron poor folks or an option to be resource efficient for low energy systems. All I know is that I can get enough HSLA accumulated to not need to be thrifty and use wood or stone. Plus the gearboxes need for lube means you start with a HSLA wormgear for the grinder (or junctiom 4 steam engines) meaning you pretty much need to stockpile HSLA anyways. And as previously mentioned if you had enough diamonds you can skip further.

Early game, the wood gearbox lets you run a grinder without worrying about the loss from worm gears.

What is the use of stone gears? ... I do not know.
A stone shaft, on the other hand, might be a non-flammable insulator next to a wood gear box.
===

Wood gears and fire: Is this standard minecraft "A fire block is placed in an adjacent space that is air", and what happens if the adjacent blocks are occupied by non-flammable blocks?

Also as an aside don't know if you have stated it already but is there any reason you haven't hosted your mods on Curse?
I think I know the answer will be one regarding control of your works, your trust or lack there of Curse and or some ethical point, but I don't want to assume.
I thought Reika had said that it would make it impossible for him to ensure that people making packs followed his rules, it becomes "open season" for any packs with any changes.

I think I found the solution. Alloying silicon and aluminum, both of which are Extractor products, at 800C in the blast furnace produces silumin, an Al-Si alloy that is used in these sorts of applications, as well as being perfectly where needed in the techtree, necessitating both a working (if slow) Extractor and at least 131kW of power.

Now, will people be able to bypass the extractor with these being ordicted? Or are these going to be RoC-aluminum and RoC-silicon? Also, I thought sand was mostly silicon to start with (isn't that the source of the silicon used in steel in the blast furnace?).

EDIT: 64K and 8K rads for the fractionator? Isn't that 4 steam and a 16x gear? Is that steam to micro-turbine?
Is this observation still valid -- steam engines suffice to make jet fuel and bypass all the gas engines?

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
It's worth noting that steam engines, while perhaps "primitive" by today's standards, are not exactly slouches for power either. The industrial revolution was powered by steam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowing_engine

At 30hp (~22KW), even these very early models (circ mid 18th century) provide more power than the ones we have in RoC (a decision made for design purposes, I'm sure).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_engine

By the late 19th century, 10000HP (~7457KW) engines were convinced. For reference, the General Electric GE-AC6000CW diesel-electric locomotive is rated for 6000HP (4500KW).

Last edited:

muffel

Jul 29, 2019
Now, will people be able to bypass the extractor with these being ordicted? Or are these going to be RoC-aluminum and RoC-silicon? Also, I thought sand was mostly silicon to start with (isn't that the source of the silicon used in steel in the blast furnace?).
The gating here is the temperature of the blastfurnance, you need 2 gasoline engines to reach that temperature ( 4 steam engines produce a temp of 798°C ).
Is this observation still valid -- steam engines suffice to make jet fuel and bypass all the gas engines?
Yes still valid.

Nice gating, but i still can punch through the RoC techtree to reach ReC and superconducting ElC with only touching Steam engines and micro turbines.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
That right there is why I think forced gating is kinda silly. You are never-ever going to catch all the "exploits" so just make your tech tree strongly encouraged, and let the inveterate hackers have their fun tree skips. You've locked down most everything which means the solutions have to involve out-of-the-box thinking and generally it's less costly to just go through the tech tree as normal.

I really don't get the problem of 4 DC engines being able to run a grinder, or being able to skip entirely over gas engines. The hydrokinetics I could see a real problem with, their nerf made sense. But this low-level "get to decent engines" rush is basically harmless. Oh no, I skipped the steam engine! What about the engines I'm never ever going to use on the "standard" tech tree like wind? Now if I could skip from DC to Microturbine? That would be notable. But skipping 2-3 engines is no big deal as long as those engines aren't pre bedrock to post bedrock.

Azdule

Jul 29, 2019
So would the progression be steam > gasoline > performance engine / ac engine > micro turbine?
Because this is what I do and it worked to be a nice little progression method.
(Sorry if this double posts - phone with low signal)

CapJackH

Jul 29, 2019
So would the progression be steam > gasoline > performance engine / ac engine > micro turbine?
Because this is what I do and it worked to be a nice little progression method.
(Sorry if this double posts - phone with low signal)

It's possible though to run the fermenter off of one dc engine so you can make ethanol, and with the required amount of vanilla materials for the performance engine, can skip straight there. That can let you power a fractionator and extractor. Then use a microturbine only for enough to get sintered tugsten and go to a Gas turbine. With a bit of back and forth you can get the gas turbine self sustaining and a boring machine running continuously.

CapJackH

Jul 29, 2019
This doesn't seem like it should be possible..
Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 4.24.34 PM.png

I'm standing in the bedrock breaker's drill if you can't tell.

Reactions: CoderPuppy

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Nah, I say leave it as-is. If nothing else, it gives me something to watch while I wait for things to happen, lol.

Oh, also totally unrelated, but do fans work with Agricraft crops? I ask because I've got a rather large collection of maxed-out magical crops in my base and was wondering what the best method of auto-farming them would be.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, don't up the computational load just because we can stand in the drill head. It's MC. Some level of collision goofery is kinda expected :) Makes the game more fun when you can do silly things nobody expects!

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, also totally unrelated, but do fans work with Agricraft crops? I ask because I've got a rather large collection of maxed-out magical crops in my base and was wondering what the best method of auto-farming them would be.
Doesn't work, I've tried it before. Thaumcraft golems do, though.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2