Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

T

the_cake_guy

After combing the internet I cannot seem to find how to obtain the -200C requirement for the gelid cryotheum in the rock melter, if someone could tell me i would be very grateful :)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Its cool, we all get a bit confounded by things, at times. I do like how RoC treats the gelid form of cryotheum as its natural state. Makes sense, in a way, since its supposed to be super-cold and all that jazz.

12345swordy

I can't help to think that electric craft needs more love. There got to be some usage besides storing Rotary power.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I can't help to think that electric craft needs more love. There got to be some usage besides storing Rotary power.
What do you have in mind that would belong specifically within Electricraft (a mod for electricity) and not another mod?

This seems obvious, but its not just for storing power. Its for moving power from A to B, and, critically, for power logistics: determining how power gets from A to B and under what circumstances.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I've got a question/suggestion in the ElC vein: is it possible to make it so adjacent ElC wires don't join? Like, if I wanted to make a compact bank of batteries storing reactor output, could I make it so I can have them all back-to-back, without needing a single block space between them?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Actually, I've got a question/suggestion in the ElC vein: is it possible to make it so adjacent ElC wires don't join? Like, if I wanted to make a compact bank of batteries storing reactor output, could I make it so I can have them all back-to-back, without needing a single block space between them?
I thought he already did this by allowing you to dye wires but I could be misremembering.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I've always thought of ElectriCraft's utility being to transport RoC power long distances without using shafts/belts/RF.
I thought that ElC had significant power loss per block until you got to late-gate tech; that kinda made it impractical for power transmission as far as I could tell.

Heck, RoC has this whole "any loss is a whole engine downgrade" factor, so given a choice of building a new engine over there, shaft power from here to there, or lossy transmission from here to there, the lossy transmission seems to be the worst choice.

Note: I have never used ElC; I've never understood "why to use it".

(Yes: I know that Reika did not like how the shaft power bus turned out, and made ElC as an alternative to the power bus.)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The lossiness thing is definitely a mod-integration downer. Since power-transmission alternatives are omni-present in modpacks, its hard to justify using ElC in many cases.

I don't really have any brilliant suggestions. Stuff I've considered in the past include:
  • making all wires the same lossiness (zero), but different materials produce more wires.
  • making some RoC machines dependant on ElC power when ElC is in the pack so that you can't (easily) fudge around it with other transmission mediums (kind of a dumb idea)

When I tinkered with electricraft, the resistors and such were fun to use (albeit monstrously unfriendly to colorblind people and really finnicky with dyes ) and pretty useful for distributing power from my nuclear reactors.

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
I've tried looking for uses as well, but the power loss is a real concern until later in the game, as mentioned, although I understand Reika's reasoning behind it (because science). Question: Are the resistors still compatible with vanilla dies only? That was another major hurdle at the time that I was considering it. Red, in particular, can be a massive pita to obtain... =\

Botania dyes are fairly easy to come by, however.

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
One thing that really bothers me about ElectriCraft is how you need tungsten/inductive to be able to use more than one power source. I don't find this mechanic sensible at all: RoC allows you to chain 4 of the same engine together early-game while you cannot use more than one engine for ElC until you are pretty much done with the RoC techtree. I attempted to use ElC in early-game, but was promptly halted by the hiss sound of trying to use two steam engines whose power was distributed by an ElC network. On top of lossy wires in the lower-tier, you cannot actually fully utilize the mod's enhanced transportation of shaft power until you get inductive and tungsten ingots.

My personal idea would be that you can use a max of four of the same power sources in an un-upgraded network. The inductive upgrade would allow you to use different types of powers sources in the network (which would be interesting IMO) and the tungsten upgrade would remove the limit on the max number of power sources in the system.

MongrelVigor

Jul 29, 2019
Had schemes for making tons of RoC ethanol, melting it and using it in Advanced Generators' gas turbines.

1. While bdew's site says it works with multiple kinds of ethanol, it won't accept RoC's

2. Had heard MFR's unifier could convert it to forestry ethanol: not currently working for me.

Advice? Options? Plans?

FYI magma crucible produces one tenth the liquid ethanol that the rock melter does, though I imagine that's on TE's end

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk