Botania for Begginers

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
Humor is derived from learning something new. Jokes always involve some kind of internal logic that the audience doesn't yet know when they first hear the joke. The moment they understand the internal logic, is the moment they start laughing. This is also why old jokes aren't funny anymore.

Most probably, the OP finds the picture humorous because he just figured out that what he at first thought was a "magic" mod, is actually just a tech mod with a fantastic aesthetic to it. So he learned something new. He learned that the distinction between magic mods and tech mods aren't what most people seem to think they are.
I think we have an award for "fastest and most extreme derail in a thread ever".

Reactions: Dylz101

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You need to look up the definition of irony...

I think he's pointing out the differences in "power" transfer, or maybe the similarities? Generation, 2 spreaders and a pool for botania and a maze of wires for TE. However it's not even an equivalent setup so fails at that too...

As for aiming mana spreaders get your "stick thing" and shift-right click(maybe just right click) in the air till to switch from "function mode" to "binding mode"(says so above your hot-bar), then once on binding shift right click the spreader and then shift right click the pool
I'll buy into this, its the only thing that makes sense.

Really effing wish he'd just said so though.

Renato Lopes

Jul 29, 2019
Humor is derived from learning something new. Jokes always involve some kind of internal logic that the audience doesn't yet know when they first hear the joke. The moment they understand the internal logic, is the moment they start laughing. This is also why old jokes aren't funny anymore.

Most probably, the OP finds the picture humorous because he just figured out that what he at first thought was a "magic" mod, is actually just a tech mod with a fantastic aesthetic to it. So he learned something new. He learned that the distinction between magic mods and tech mods aren't what most people seem to think they are.

There you have it folks, I wouldn't have explained any better than this bro.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Coulda used solar flux panels (if you have that installed.) Would have made it clearer.

You can make the same comparison with Blood magic well of suffering altar and a grinder hooked up to a bank of reactant dynamos and cullinary gens.

Magic mods are beholden to the very same mechanics as tech mods. The only magic mod I have seen that seems to brea away from that paradigm is Ars Magica with its spell crafting. But even then it was rife with technical shizzle whizzle. Produceing magic essence comes to mind.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Shut up you dongus wizards rule!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Flashback!

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid.

Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
People are stupid; they want to believe, so they do.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Botania is not a tech mod. Thats like lumping LOTR in sci-fi.
Fantasy and sci-fi are pretty damn closely connected dude, that's why they're always adjacent in bookstores (and sometimes combined)

Also, the distinction between a technical magic mod like Botania and a standard tech mod is kinda blurry. Its easy to say its "magic" because of its theme, but if you replace all the graphics and names of things, the mechanics scream tech.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Fantasy and sci-fi are pretty damn closely connected dude, that's why they're always adjacent in bookstores (and sometimes combined)

Also, the distinction between a technical magic mod like Botania and a standard tech mod is kinda blurry. Its easy to say its "magic" because of its theme, but if you replace all the graphics and names of things, the mechanics scream tech.
Exactly. Let's have some depth and define stuff by how it acts, not how it looks? Don't judge a book by it's cover, and don't judge a mod by it's graphics.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019

Yeah I know but its misleading to call it sci fi. Botania's mechanics are complex enough that Id build it its own space but not right next to my machines. The theme is pretty much the only distinction between complex mods. Thaumcraft could be a mod about mixing chemicals but instead, its called essentia.

Reactions: Pyure

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I know but its misleading to call it sci fi. Botania's mechanics are complex enough that Id build it its own space but not right next to my machines. The theme is pretty much the only distinction between complex mods. Thaumcraft could be a mod about mixing chemicals but instead, its called essentia.
I would say that we can define "tech" mods as focusing on one, central power system, as well as automation, while magic mods focus on gear for the player, and intricate, manual crafting. Both have aspects of the other (Thaumcraft, for example, has essentia, and Redstone Arsenal is a gear addon for TE), but the real focus of these differs. By that definition, Botania would be tech, but something like Ars Magica 2 is still magic.

Reactions: Pyure

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Does botania have autocrafting? because seems I do a lot of manual crafting with it. Slow, complicated crafting.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Not that I'm aware of. I tend to mass-produce everything for that reason :\

You might be able to do something janky with AE2 and droppers or some such.

Reactions: epidemia78

Adagiovibe

Jul 29, 2019
Does botania have autocrafting? because seems I do a lot of manual crafting with it. Slow, complicated crafting.

Corporea system has a block I believe that scans all affected inventories for requested items and sends out a redstone signal if the item is not present. If you couple that with crafty crates in theory you could set up autocrafting.

But to set that up for many hundreds of items would be quite a massive task.

The closest thing to autocrafting that you will find in a "magic" themed mod is Automagy and Aura Cascade.

Renato Lopes

Jul 29, 2019
thats another distinguition, while in magic mods you can make amazing stuff with tech mods you can make massive stuff.

Also, hell, modded minecraft is so industrial, I wish there was more adventure mods.