Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
DW20 pack on 1.4.7. Trying to breed Heroic Bees. Any hints? I've got Steadfast and Valiant breeding in an alveary, three frame housings with chocolate frames, two mutator blocks with uranium in. I've bred them about a dozen times, and not got a single Heroic or any other mutation. What am I doing wrong? Do I need more mutators?
Are you breeding them in a vanilla forest biome?

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
No, is that what I need to do? I'll try that.
Yeah, there's a few bee species that require special breeding conditions.. heroic is one of them

for future breeding I'd recommend using the escritoire mini-game (if it's available in your version) because when you find a mutation that requires special conditions it will say (except for the ones that require conditions like new years, easter or things like that)

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Yeah, there's a few bee species that require special breeding conditions.. heroic is one of them
Still doesn't seem to be working, got an apiary with three soul frames, no mutations in about 5 breeding cycles so far. The F3 screen says "Forest", is there a different Forest biome in EBXL? It looks pretty vanilla to me, just oaks and birches and rubber trees.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Still doesn't seem to be working, got an apiary with three soul frames, no mutations in about 5 breeding cycles so far. The F3 screen says "Forest", is there a different Forest biome in EBXL? It looks pretty vanilla to me, just oaks and birches and rubber trees.

Master RNG probably just hates you. I'd throw in an oblivion frame as well. I've had to go 7-10 generations for mutation for some bees.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Master RNG probably just hates you. I'd throw in an oblivion frame as well. I've had to go 7-10 generations for mutation for some bees.
Last I knew oblivion frames didn't work with other frames, you had to use them alone

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Last I knew oblivion frames didn't work with other frames, you had to use them alone
This is not entirely true.

From my observations each frame rolls some form of dice(When more than one frame is present of differing types) and based on that roll the effect from that frame is used. Thus there is a good chance that the oblivion frame will trigger and because, from what I can tell, the soul frame just needs to be present you get the effects from it as well. So while it is not entirely as fast as a lone oblivion frame it speeds up the process A LOT.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
This is not entirely true.

From my observations each frame rolls some form of dice(When more than one frame is present of differing types) and based on that roll the effect from that frame is used. Thus there is a good chance that the oblivion frame will trigger and because, from what I can tell, the soul frame just needs to be present you get the effects from it as well. So while it is not entirely as fast as a lone oblivion frame it speeds up the process A LOT.
Ahh, I didn't know that
But in 1.5.x if there was another frame in the mix the oblivion frame would lose durability each bee tick, but the bee would die at the same rate as a bee without the oblivion frame in the mix.
And in the documentation for it it said it doesn't work with other frames

Are you talking about 1.6.x?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Ahh, I didn't know that
But in 1.5.x if there was another frame in the mix the oblivion frame would lose durability each bee tick, but the bee would die at the same rate as a bee without the oblivion frame in the mix.
And in the documentation for it it said it doesn't work with other frames

Are you talking about 1.6.x?

Nope. That was from personal experience with the frames in 1.5.2

The frame may have taken damage but it still had a chance to trigger. I used this trick quite a bit so I'm quite sure of it though.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Nope. That was from personal experience with the frames in 1.5.2

The frame may have taken damage but it still had a chance to trigger. I used this trick quite a bit so I'm quite sure of it though.
this is confusing... because I tried the same thing and it never worked. Just wasted my oblivion frames

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Ah.
That'd do it

Awesome! ^^ thanks for clearing it up.
So oblivion frame + other frames don't work in apiary, but do in alveary?

No no; oblivion frames only ever work in apiaries. In alvearies they do absolutely nothing.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I give up this is confusing.
Oblivion frames only worked for me in apiaries when they were alone.. >.>

Well I'm not playing 1.5 anymore but I can verify for at least 1.6.4 that my previous info was outdated and now it will always trigger on the first bee tick.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Question:
I love double doors. I use them everywhere, but one thing that annoy the hell out of me is when you only step on one pressure pad and then run into the other door. Then the both doors shut and you end up going back and forth getting the timing all wrong. I used to fix this by putting Red alloy wires under the blocks under the doors and both sets of pressure pads. So if any of the pads got stepped on, but doors would open. But now with the lack of RP2 I am a bit at a loss what to do. I tried using the Rednet cable, but it will not detect the redstone signal through the blocks.
Anyone got any ideas?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
^--- This.

Or, you could add a Redpower replacement mod, such as Immibis RedLogic. Then you have red alloy wire once again.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Vanilla redstone?
Yeah, but sadly I cant put redstone under something. So I would require yet another block under the redstone, making it all rather cumbersome.

I did just get an idea though that I will try out. Placing a 2x3 grid of structure pipes directly under the door, 6 iron gates with pipe wire. Then cower it all up with facades. Just hope I can place the pressure pads/doors on top of the pipes.