32x [32x] JohnSmith Technician's Remix

Morvelaira

Jul 29, 2019
To weigh in on the issue of UI, the thing that really stands out the most for me is with Thermal Expansion's Igneous Extruder. Instead of following the intended lines of the GUI, the water and lava animations are simply growing blocks. It makes the entire incomplete and broken - as if I were seeing something behind the scenes that I should not.

Another thing no one has been able to explain to me -
Some people here say, "Optifine is required for texture packs, period." Without further points made this seems incredulous to me. This may have been true in the past, but with the native texture pack support in Forge is this really still the case? Why?

Zica

Jul 29, 2019
honestly, you guys should just start working on 1.4.5. With most of the mods already updated, the packs will probably be there rather soon.

The 1.4.2 branch should be compatible with all of the 1.4.5 mods, except for a few mods that have changed their paths. Once ftb officially updates, we will update the 1.4.2 download.

Dekar

Jul 29, 2019
That is weird, the MFE screenshot from the other page is a different text color then the MFSU/Batbox color. I will have to look tonight to see if the color is different with the MFE that I am using right now.

Does anyone know if GregTech changes gui on IC2 stuff? I have it disabled on my FTB and that could be causing two different colors of texts?

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
I looked again later at a different MFE (that one was in a Mystcraft mining world, the second one was in my base in the Overworld), and it was fine. Low-contrast, but readable like normal. Like I said earlier, something seems to change periodically and I don't know what it is. It's not me tweaking the video settings though, or changing Optifine or anything. I don't touch that.

Dekar

Jul 29, 2019
I looked again later at a different MFE (that one was in a Mystcraft mining world, the second one was in my base in the Overworld), and it was fine. Low-contrast, but readable like normal. Like I said earlier, something seems to change periodically and I don't know what it is. It's not me tweaking the video settings though, or changing Optifine or anything. I don't touch that.

Hmm.. are you using GregTech?
A person on the first page had two screenshots of a mfsu or mfe and a mass fab that has the same color text as yours.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm.. are you using GregTech?
A person on the first page had two screenshots of a mfsu or mfe and a mass fab that has the same color text as yours.
Yes, I am. Although I kind of doubt it's messing with the GUIs for other items. The GUIs for the GregTech items look completely different.

Zica

Jul 29, 2019
Is anyone else experiencing problems for other GUIs, such as buildcraft, forestry, and such? Because on a different website where we had the thread posted, that mod pack didn't include gregtech. But it also had an older version of IC2. So its either gregtech is changing some of the GUIs, or something else which I have no idea.

Mikesteam1234

Jul 29, 2019
Is anyone else experiencing problems for other GUIs, such as buildcraft, forestry, and such? Because on a different website where we had the thread posted, that mod pack didn't include gregtech. But it also had an older version of IC2. So its either gregtech is changing some of the GUIs, or something else which I have no idea.

My forestry Blocks were invisible and when i right clicked on one of them my game crashed...

Jul 29, 2019
To weigh in on the issue of UI, the thing that really stands out the most for me is with Thermal Expansion's Igneous Extruder. Instead of following the intended lines of the GUI, the water and lava animations are simply growing blocks. It makes the entire incomplete and broken - as if I were seeing something behind the scenes that I should not.

Some people here say, "Optifine is required for texture packs, period." Without further points made this seems incredulous to me. This may have been true in the past, but with the native texture pack support in Forge is this really still the case? Why?

I tried loading this texture pack without optifine and I found that custom fonts don't work, and water blocks and I think lava blocks were default. So it seems like the forge texture pack support doesn't quite support customizing everything, that or the way textures are packaged makes forge miss things.

The_New_Pro

Jul 29, 2019
I tried loading this texture pack without optifine and I found that custom fonts don't work, and water blocks and I think lava blocks were default. So it seems like the forge texture pack support doesn't quite support customizing everything, that or the way textures are packaged makes forge miss things.
That or the forge thing isn't in this ver. that FTB Uses.

Feanarang

Jul 29, 2019
For me, the texture pack (and even the vanilla pack) works better without optifine. Optifine has some weird bug for me where it will work for a bit, then break the textures for hostile mobs and chests. When I use this pack without optifine, everything seems to be working fine. I'm not sure if you guys have done the textures for the rotary macerator, centrifuge extractor, singularity compressor, or the industrial centrifuge, but all those textures and their GUIs are still default to me(though the induction furnace and its GUI is JS). If you haven't done them yet, then no worries. :)

Belone

Jul 29, 2019

For me, it was the lag caused by using an HD texture pack, my PC just couldn't handle it, optifine really smooths this out for me.

Andrew2448

Jul 29, 2019

You can use it without optifine but I don't know how well it will work for you.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Fun sidefact - I tried Optifine (diff. versions) and had nothing but trouble with it (not complaining, though). Yes, it looked better, but (quite the contrary to what seems to be usual) I had lagspikes in otherwise lagfree areas, constant repeatable crashes while rendering new chunks (this might be due to the Extra Biomes, but I don't know that for sure), general lag in caves and/or darker areas (wich I think is due to some problem with the lighting - but that may aswell be my system) and on several occurances, texture glitches. Removing Optifine got rid of all this. And even though atm I do not see the "font" delivered with JohnSmith (can't tell for sure about the lava and water, would have to take a closer look), it works just fine without Optifine. Yes, there are some "blank" or "pink square" textures in NEI.. but I would say that's not an error coming from JS32x, but rather my own tweakings. So, long story cut short: JS-32x works quite good without Optifine. It's definately not a "must have in order to use".

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, it's weird. I have two identical Dell PCs I sometimes play on (literally the same model from the same batch, both work-provided). One of them works great with Optifine, and the other doesn't work at all. I guess a big part of that is probably that I do a bunch of background tasks on one, and generally just have a browser and Teamspeak open on the other.

LazDude2012

Jul 29, 2019
People using it without Optifine:
It may "work" without Optifine, but you won't get the best experience. (animated textures, water, lava, the fonts) Use at your own risk.
Glowstone/Lantern look:
We've been over this in the past. If you want lanterns, Notch included them in the game for you. It's only 4 more redstone, and it has that nice lantern look.
Transparent GUIs:
Because of the way MC works, we'd have to use light backgrounds, and we simply aren't going to be doing this. However, if anyone finds or created backgrounds that look nice and fit in well, I'll integrate them in, and give full credit.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Glad to hear you guys are considering background images. The ones the vanilla John Smith pack uses for the crafting table, furnace, dispenser, etc., mostly eliminate the readability problem.