[1.7.10] The Dark Trilogy [PUBLIC BETA]

Zydoc

Jul 29, 2019
if i want to still use conduits from enderio, is there a way to localy change config files(or similar) to get them back?

also there is conduits from minefactory reloaded that lets you convert rf to eu and vice versa

SeaWind5982

Jul 29, 2019
I mean a list of changes / updates he made to the modpack, most mod developers have one for each version of the modpack when they add, remove, or change somethings for mods.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
I mean a list of changes / updates he made to the modpack, most mod developers have one for each version of the modpack when they add, remove, or change somethings for mods.
Off the top of my head:
  • Updated basically everything
  • Added AgriCraft
  • Added Blood Magic addons
  • Added ThaumCraft addons
  • Added Thermal Expansion addons
  • Added Thermal Dynamics
  • Removed TheTfoxMod, added GideonseymourMod
  • Removed Soul Shards: Reborn, added Soul Shards: The Old Ways
  • Added Steve's Addons
  • Probably something else I forgot
  • Added Mana-infused ore to ore generation, Ore dicted mana infused to Manasteel and vice versa
  • Lots of recipe tweaks
  • Enet Bridge
  • Remove energy conduits and fluxducts

EpicEraser

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure what to think about the conduit change.

On one hand I like the additional planning and care that it involves.

On the other hand I really don't like the cables
I don't think this actually adds that much of a challenge. RF-based mods were never designed to factor in energy loss over distance.
Apart from the energy transfer nodes and MFR cables still being there (as judged from the replies), there are other ways for free power transfer over large distances that take only a little effort to make.
The cheap power generation (in MFR for instance) makes me feel this is more of a hassle than a challenge, but I'll have a crack at it and see if I can be convinced otherwise.
There's just one thing I'll have trouble getting over... I've grown used to being able to use nice covers (the EIO ones work with connected textures!), and even have two types of transfer in the same block (using EIO Conduits or Transfer pipes, or even Thermal Dynamics).

Oh and about yesterday's bug: it's a Unicode issue that apparently does not occur in Windows. It's fixed on Git already.

Last edited:
Reactions: buggirlexpres

Revenex

Jul 29, 2019
Excited about the updates!

Not so excited about the loss of power conduits. I really liked the concept of the progression in the pack toward the more contemporary mods. Progressing to EnderIO conduits from BC Kinesis pipes was great... I felt like I was toughing it out while I worked up the resources to get the modern conduits. Same with going from IC2 machines to TE, then to EnderIO machines.

I feel that part of the appeal of the pack is that mods like EnderIO are present, but you have to work really hard to attain the modern stuff. I would even like to see the Thermal Dynamics conduits in the pack as well, with tweaked recipes that force a progression.

This is the only pack that I play, and the big draw was progression and balance. I think the removal of the conduits is limiting and less fun, than creating progression or balance.

EpicEraser

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, what about requiring a "lower-tier" power conduit to make a "higher-tier" one? You could really upgrade your power network one step at a time.
Or just balancing the resource cost of the various types of transfer? Making EIO transfer conduits way more expensive...
I really did enjoy this aspect with the machines, although I did more or less skip Industrialcraft. I tend to do that because it doesn't really have any interesting stuff that's not done better/nicer/easier in another mod in the pack.

Last edited:

Schredder

Jul 29, 2019
After an update to 1.1.0, i had the same crash at startup as some other people here. The update to 1.1.1 fixed that one. But now i have massive framerate issues, it's more a slideshow than a game. :( I did not have these issues with 1.0.8 with the same savegame. (Running the game on arch linux and java 1.7.0_79)
I'm not glad at all with the removal of EnderIO power conduits, asi heavily use the possibility ob building very compact by combining all sorts of conduits in one block. Is there any config switch to get them back?
Regarding two bugs in 1.0.8: Now its possible to build the advanced nano chest plate. :)
But the Vibrant Capacitor Bank still has only a capacity of5.000.000RF when placed.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
After an update to 1.1.0, i had the same crash at startup as some other people here. The update to 1.1.1 fixed that one. But now i have massive framerate issues, it's more a slideshow than a game. :( I did not have these issues with 1.0.8 with the same savegame. (Running the game on arch linux and java 1.7.0_79)
I'm not glad at all with the removal of EnderIO power conduits, asi heavily use the possibility ob building very compact by combining all sorts of conduits in one block. Is there any config switch to get them back?
Regarding two bugs in 1.0.8: Now its possible to build the advanced nano chest plate. :)
But the Vibrant Capacitor Bank still has only a capacity of5.000.000RF when placed.
You can go into the minecraft/scripts folder, and open up NEI.zs and ThermalExpansion.zs. Remove the mentions of the various conduits in those two scripts.
As for the lag and the Vibrant Capacitor banks, I'll look at those.

Reactions: Schredder

EpicEraser

Jul 29, 2019
I can also report that the update to 1.1.1 fixed the Linux issue with the furniture mod.
My worlds seem to be completely fine, and I don't experience Schredder's framerate drop.

I don't have time now to actually play for a bit.
I might just get the conduit recipes back though.
I've been thinking about this for a bit, and since I'm using / going to use AE2 to distribute my power (I'm too far in the game I guess), and have only short local energy connections, I don't see a reason to go through all the trouble.

I did get a nice idea about this though. How about requiring a QED for making Fluxducts and EIO Conduits (of all kinds)?
It requires obsidian-gen and a big supply of ender pearls (which I think still holds up nicely as an early-game balancing mechanic).
In fact, I don't think I could have made a QED before I could autospawn Endermen, which requires decent power gen, power transfer, and mob grinding (or similar).
The least thing I would imagine is performing the activation ritual, or going up the magic tree and then slaying the dragon to free the end.
Furthermore, it's painfully slow initially, which also makes the conduits unsuitable for large-distance transfer in the beginning.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
I did get a nice idea about this though. How about requiring a QED for making Fluxducts and EIO Conduits (of all kinds)?
It requires obsidian-gen and a big supply of ender pearls (which I think still holds up nicely as an early-game balancing mechanic).
In fact, I don't think I could have made a QED before I could autospawn Endermen, which requires decent power gen, power transfer, and mob grinding (or similar).
The least thing I would imagine is performing the activation ritual, or going up the magic tree and then slaying the dragon to free the end.
Furthermore, it's painfully slow initially, which also makes the conduits unsuitable for large-distance transfer in the beginning.
That..... is a brilliant idea. Don't mind if I take that.

EchoingZen

Jul 29, 2019
Sweet! Glad to see this pack updated. I need something to play while I recover from my Phoenix Reborn hardcore death.

I take it I won't need to worry about changing worldgen if I fire this pack up?

Schredder

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, thank you for the very fast answer.
You can go into the minecraft/scripts folder, and open up NEI.zs and ThermalExpansion.zs. Remove the mentions of the various conduits in those two scripts.
Thank you, that worked fine. Maybe i will undo the change for a new game, but that one is in late mid game, and i don't want to change large parts of my setup.
As for the lag and the Vibrant Capacitor banks, I'll look at those.
The Vibrant Capacitor bank issue seems to be solved in the latest EnerIO version, according to that bug report:
https://github.com/SleepyTrousers/EnderIO/issues/1892

Flying Shoe ILR

Jul 29, 2019
While I still like the idea of having to factor in power loss over distance when using cables, I can see the issues with removing flux ducts and conduits at this point. I agree that using the QED is probably the best way to balance this, as you already need the QED to make the energy/hyper energy transfer nodes. I'd make sure that none of the RF transferring wires are available unless crafted via the QED or some other difficult method.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Sweet! Glad to see this pack updated. I need something to play while I recover from my Phoenix Reborn hardcore death.

I take it I won't need to worry about changing worldgen if I fire this pack up?
Nope. Only thing I've added to World Gen so far is Mana-infused ore, but Manasteel is quite obviously obtainable in different ways.

Reactions: EchoingZen

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the update Gideonseymour. I'm not sure if I like the fact that flux ducts and conduits have been removed. I agree that using the QED is a good idea in order to make the RF cables maybe even use Buildcraft Chipsets in the recipes to add more cross mod interaction.

EpicEraser

Jul 29, 2019
Nope. Only thing I've added to World Gen so far is Mana-infused ore, but Manasteel is quite obviously obtainable in different ways.
So I checked and saw that Mithril / Mana-infused ore is not really used for the lamps anymore >_<.
Still, it's nice to have world-gen manasteel, to give early a bit of a boost to magic.

...maybe even use Buildcraft Chipsets in the recipes to add more cross mod interaction.
I was actually thinking just this. You kind of want the EU cables to be used, so you want to force some progress in the tech track (as opposed to the other two of the trilogy).
The QED does not require RF/EU, so it doesn't solve that.
On the other hand, I like that parts of the tech tree can be skipped if you progress far in one of the other two.

I guess it's a bit of a balancing game, and the only way to solve it would be to try it out and see what works best.

EchoingZen

Jul 29, 2019
Dark Trilogy is shutting down whenever I browse what Iron Blocks can make. (When I click the right arrow in NEI on the facade page, it will crash. No idea what that page is supposed to be.)