[1.7.10] RusticCraft

lumien

Jul 29, 2019
oh, whoops, lilypad of fertility's from Reliquary. But my primary example was the block mover, since it could move spawners and such, where the more mainstream mods had that moving spawners was really complex/expensive, due to spawners being rather potent. The rest of the mod has some interesting things in it, but not really things that would fit in that well, at least with this modpack in particular.

Also, didn't quite realize you were the dev either, sorry 'bout that.

Just always interested in why people don't like Random Things.

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
Just always interested in why people don't like Random Things.
Could be that it's not as well defined as other mods, not as... Unique? I know the mod is a whole bunch of random things, but it's also pretty rudimentary. That said, I'm no modder, so I might not know what I'm talking about.

lumien

Jul 29, 2019
Could be that it's not as well defined as other mods, not as... Unique? I know the mod is a whole bunch of random things, but it's also pretty rudimentary. That said, I'm no modder, so I might not know what I'm talking about.

That's the reason i made it, i'm not creative enough to stick to a specific topic in my mods. I just get ideas that don't fit together.

(This is completely off topic though so we should probably stahp)

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
I just submitted version 1.0.3 to be approved. It will probably be available to download in a day or two. It is still Beta.
Changes:
*snip*

Random Things adds silly things like an item that teleports you to another player. Fun in a pack like Monster, but not elsewhere. At least it was easy to disables all the unwanted things though the configs, else it wouldn't have been in the pack to begin with.

Yeah, if I add it, I may have to use the RF Fork, thanks for linking. Though I would be disabling Farms for sure, Carpenters and Squeezers may be okay. I'll have to think about it.

Floating Ruins is definitely less intrusive, but is there really a point to adding floating blobs of dirt with a mobspawner in a box on top? Can you even call that a ruin? Also, I don't like that all of these Dungeon mods add loot like glowstone and blaze rods.

I'll play with EBXL a bit tomorrow.

The motivation for mods like TC and dungeons is that they are very engaging mini-games within the "original" gameplay. The incentive for playing those translates to "interesting loot" or gameplay progression (e.g. sword of the zephyr). For strong dungeon designs, think of it like a mini "vechs map" in the game.

It's an interesting challenge to find a floating ruins in the world. The next challenge is to get on the top of that and disable the spawner. Half the fun is not knowing if the spawner inside that blob is a creeper or a zombie pigman spawner... Next challenge is duelling without damaging the environment and yourself in that confined space.... At this point, emeralds, music discs, blaze rods or redstone in a chest is besides the point for me. Sometimes the dungeon generation exposes ores in the world, so it's a side-effect "convenience" at the most.

If you want to roll with forestry, one gentle reminder would be to include extra bees as well. denoflionsx is working on breaking free of forestry with his own bees, but it's still WIP. creeper collateral being more popular became the first 1.7.10 port.

Also, reading @CaptPanda's post made me realise, he is also right about his views on TT. It's now for you to take a call on TT.

Thanks for looking into EXBL and its possible inclusion.

Havanacus

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing with some of the suggestions.

Forestry is a no-go. It doesn't provide config options to disable the Farms. While I could remove the recipes using Minetweaker, that's a very work intensive and, in my opinion, inelegant process for the sake of Bees and Trees. Better to leave it out and enjoy a slightly faster load time.

As for ExtraBiomesXL, I'm still tinkering. I had to change all the Biome IDs because they were conflicting with TwilightForest. Even now that I changed them, I'm still getting the error so I'll have to scroll though Forge logs to find out what's going on. I suspect a biome isn't listed in the configs.
Also, I've been gratuitously disabling EBXL biomes as I test. Most the cold and extreme biomes are gone. I wish I could just lower their spawn rates, but EBXL doesn't seem to have the option.
I'm starting to think some biomes may not look as they were intended to. For example, this is a "Forested Hill":
HakGfZj.png

Update:
I got the Biome IDs sorted out. There was a couple listed underneath the Vanilla biomes on account of being listed in alphabetical order. Go figure.

I don't think I'll be including ExtrBiomesXL though, for some reason even the mundane biomes seem to be generating with crazy height differences. This is a "Forested Island":
peDTFhi.png

These kinds of features would be awesome to come across occasionally while exploring, but no matter how much I tinker, every world I generate spawns me next to something like these screenshots. Every other biome is crazy town (moderate exaggeration).

Last edited:

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing with some of the suggestions.

*snip*
As for ExtraBiomesXL, I'm still tinkering. I had to change all the Biome IDs because they were conflicting with TwilightForest. Even now that I changed them, I'm still getting the error so I'll have to scroll though Forge logs to find out what's going on. I suspect a biome isn't listed in the configs.
Also, I've been gratuitously disabling EBXL biomes as I test. Most the cold and extreme biomes are gone. I wish I could just lower their spawn rates, but EBXL doesn't seem to have the option.
I'm starting to think some biomes may not look as they were intended to. For example, this is a "Forested Hill":

Firstly, what IDs are we talking about? Everywhere in the forums I keep re-reading the same received opinion that MC will sort all the IDs internally, so there is going to be no more ID conflicts, etc.... :confused:

Also, your comment on twilight forest made me revisit my template 1.7-pack. I realised that there was no TF in that one. I am sincerely sorry. I may have misinformed you with my bold statement of all works well with EXBL. It was not intentional. :( I hope it's not caused too much trouble at your end. :(

If you decide to roll with EXBL after all this trouble, you have my sincere thanks and my apologies. Also, may I reassure you that any cold biomes and any extreme biomes won't be missed at all by your players. ;)

Havanacus

Jul 29, 2019
Firstly, what IDs are we talking about? Everywhere in the forums I keep re-reading the same received opinion that MC will sort all the IDs internally, so there is going to be no more ID conflicts, etc.... :confused:

Also, your comment on twilight forest made me revisit my template 1.7-pack. I realised that there was no TF in that one. I am sincerely sorry. I may have misinformed you with my bold statement of all works well with EXBL. It was not intentional. :( I hope it's not caused too much trouble at your end. :(

If you decide to roll with EXBL after all this trouble, you have my sincere thanks and my apologies. Also, may I reassure you that any cold biomes and any extreme biomes won't be missed at all by your players. ;)

Item IDs are no more. Good riddance. Biome IDs, Enchantment IDs, and probably some others all still exist.
ExtraBiomesXL and TwilightForests don't interact at all as long as their IDs don't overlap. If they do, you get TwilightForest biomes in the Overworld.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
[/spoiler]

Update:
I got the Biome IDs sorted out. There was a couple listed underneath the Vanilla biomes on account of being listed in alphabetical order. Go figure.

I don't think I'll be including ExtrBiomesXL though, for some reason even the mundane biomes seem to be generating with crazy height differences. This is a "Forested Island":

These kinds of features would be awesome to come across occasionally while exploring, but no matter how much I tinker, every world I generate spawns me next to something like these screenshots. Every other biome is crazy town (moderate exaggeration).

^^ That's bizarre.. Are you sure ATG isn't being called for terrain gen implicitly? As to choosing not to roll with EXBL, c'est la vie :( That mod's luck for exposure seems to have just run flat out...

Could you share your working configs at least? I would be interested in those for the time when I will need to add TF and EXBL together at some point.

Minor edit: one line

Havanacus

Jul 29, 2019
^^ That's bizarre.. Are you sure ATG isn't being called for terrain gen implicitly? As to choosing not to roll with EXBL, c'est la vie :( That mod's luck for exposure seems to have just run flat out...

Could you share your working configs at least? I would be interested in those for the time when I will need to add TF and EXBL together at some point.

Minor edit: one line
Here you go: http://pastebin.com/uQAfvxKX
By default, half the ExtraBiomesXL biomes register in the slots immediately after Vanilla (40s) and the other half register at the end of the valid slots (250s). Twilight Forest also registers it's biomes in the first slots after Vanilla, so I've moved the early EBXL biomes back with the other half leaving one blank slot in between just in case.
It's really not a difficult problem to solve, Forge announces in-game that there's a Biome Conflict as soon as you spawn in world. Then you can use NEI to dump all Biome IDs. If you can't find exactly what's conflicting, search your forge log for "conflict".

Reactions: AlCapella

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Here you go: http://pastebin.com/uQAfvxKX
By default, half the ExtraBiomesXL biomes register in the slots immediately after Vanilla (40s) and the other half register at the end of the valid slots (250s). Twilight Forest also registers it's biomes in the first slots after Vanilla, so I've moved the early EBXL biomes back with the other half leaving one blank slot in between just in case.
It's really not a difficult problem to solve, Forge announces in-game that there's a Biome Conflict as soon as you spawn in world. Then you can use NEI to dump all Biome IDs. If you can't find exactly what's conflicting, search your forge log for "conflict".

I'm saving on effort duplication, that's all.

Snorave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not getting pam's harvestcraft seeds from grass, I'm not using BoP, any ideas? btw the modpack works really well

Havanacus

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not getting pam's harvestcraft seeds from grass, I'm not using BoP, any ideas? btw the modpack works really well
In 1.7.10, you get Harvestcraft crops by breaking Gardens of various types. The foods you get from the Gardens are planted like seeds. Also, Gardens spread slowly if you leave them be.
Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Havanacus

Jul 29, 2019
I was hoping to be done with Beta and move into a Stable release by now, but I've run into an issue while tweaking Iguana's Tinker Tweaks and I want to get it sorted before moving on. In the meantime, I've been looking through some different Exploration mods and I'd like some feedback before I add them to the pack.

First, Hardcore Ender Expansion. Besides giving the Ender Dragon more attacks and better AI, this adds dangerous islands throughout the End.
Then, Gravestone Mod. This mod adds Graveyard dungeons in the Overworld. It also adds Gravestones, but they they would be disabled in favor of Openblocks graves because Openblocks can preserve items in Bauble slots.
Finally, I'm considering removing Thaumcraft, but I'm very much on the fence. Thaumcraft is an extremely well made mod, but I think we've all played it a fair bit in other modpacks. It's very balanced and requires player interaction, but it makes available a jetpack-like item and golem automation.

Please let me know what you think.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
I like your first two suggestions... they fit with the whole RPG theme of the pack you're aiming for. The "end" definitely becomes hardcore though, with that mod...
As to Thaumcraft, I'm surprised you're on the fence. While it's a "fairly common" mod as you rightly mention, the mod itself still fits the hack-and-slash RPG theme that the pack is going for. I see no problems with it, and much of it does help the player with exploration and other fun stuff.

Also, re: openblock graves, could you try and ensure that graves are generated in lava as well in the configs?

Havanacus

Jul 29, 2019
Also, re: openblock graves, could you try and ensure that graves are generated in lava as well in the configs?
The only option for Graves Openblocks has is:
Code:
graves {
  # Try to overwrite blocks with graves if no suitable place is found on first try
  B:destructiveGraves=true
}
I did some testing, graves overwrite lava no problem.
Also, Tinker's Tools don't despawn or burn in lava. I never got around to testing this 'till now.
I9IH5QE.png

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
The only option for Graves Openblocks has is:
Code:
graves {
  # Try to overwrite blocks with graves if no suitable place is found on first try
  B:destructiveGraves=true
}
I did some testing, graves overwrite lava no problem.
Also, Tinker's Tools don't despawn or burn in lava. I never got around to testing this 'till now.

Super. Thanks. did growthcraft make it into the pack in time? Or not?

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
@Havanacus

I had wanted to add this one mod in the first list I proposed, but I couldn't remember the name of the mod for the life of me! :) I finally remembered it today! :p So, maybe this is too late to go into the pack, or maybe not. At any case take a look at the mod for yourself. It's called Amalgam. Here's a video spotlight.

Same theme that your pack is aiming for. If you personally don't want to add it, it not an issue. Maybe you could just add the link to this mod (and the few probables that did not make it) in your main thread for players to add it, should they be interested.

P.S: I would have liked to see more items from @lumien's random thing like the dungeon loot stones, ender item, spectre key, and the cushion pad... in this pack. These are items that would have added to the RPG feel. But it's your pack and it's your vision.

This is the kind of pack any one of the mindcrack server would simply love to base a LP on. Someone like Paul Soares can do a neat RPG LP with the pack... I would imagine, the Amalgam mod spotlight episode would run for two episodes under him! :D

And, good luck with the pack release.

Last edited:

Havanacus

Jul 29, 2019
@Havanacus

I had wanted to add this one mod in the first list I proposed, but I couldn't remember the name of the mod for the life of me! :) I finally remembered it today! :p So, maybe this is too late to go into the pack, or maybe not. At any case take a look at the mod for yourself. It's called Amalgam. Here's a video spotlight.

Same theme that your pack is aiming for. If you personally don't want to add it, it not an issue. Maybe you could just add the link to this mod (and the few probables that did not make it) in your main thread for players to add it, should they be interested.

P.S: I would have liked to see more items from @lumien's random thing like the dungeon loot stones, ender item, spectre key, and the cushion pad... in this pack. These are items that would have added to the RPG feel. But it's your pack and it's your vision.

This is the kind of pack any one of the mindcrack server would simply love to base a LP on. Someone like Paul Soares can do a neat RPG LP with the pack... I would imagine, the Amalgam mod spotlight episode would run for two episodes under him! :D

And, good luck with the pack release.
Amalgam looks cool, but I don't want to add any tools to the modpack. I've configured Vanilla tools to be unusable to put a stronger focus on Tinker's Tools. I left most of the tools added by other mods enabled with the exception of tools without special abilities (effectively vanilla tools made from a modded material) and the Extra Utilities tools (which were a bit too powerful for my liking). This leaves the Thaumcraft and Twilight Forest tools as well as a few others.

While there are some cool things in RandomThings, there are just as many things I don't want and just as many things I don't even know about because documentation is scarce.

I'm pretty happy with the way the modpack is in my current testing version. I feel like I've addressed the lack of Adventure by adding Hardcore Ender Expansion and the Gravestone Mod. I also added ModTweaker, a Minetweaker addon, which allowed me to disabled Thaumcraft Golem and Thaumostatic Harness research.
At this point, the only thing holding me back from releasing 1.1.0 and leaving Beta is this issue with Iguana's Tinker Tweaks. The issue is fixed, but probably won't be released until the next Tinker's Construct update. Today I'll see if I can't compile a version with the fix.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Amalgam looks cool, but I don't want to add any tools to the modpack. I've configured Vanilla tools to be unusable to put a stronger focus on Tinker's Tools. I left most of the tools added by other mods enabled with the exception of tools without special abilities (effectively vanilla tools made from a modded material) and the Extra Utilities tools (which were a bit too powerful for my liking). This leaves the Thaumcraft and Twilight Forest tools as well as a few others.
I understand.
While there are some cool things in RandomThings, there are just as many things I don't want and just as many things I don't even know about because documentation is scarce.
^^ shoutout to @lumien. New mod spotlight, please?

I'm pretty happy with the way the modpack is in my current testing version. I feel like I've addressed the lack of Adventure by adding Hardcore Ender Expansion and the Gravestone Mod. I also added ModTweaker, a Minetweaker addon, which allowed me to disabled Thaumcraft Golem and Thaumostatic Harness research.
^^ Not sure why you want to do that. You don't want farming automation and you don't want wood/coal automation... I could live with that decision.... But why the thaumostatic harness? Why? :(
At this point, the only thing holding me back from releasing 1.1.0 and leaving Beta is this issue with Iguana's Tinker Tweaks. The issue is fixed, but probably won't be released until the next Tinker's Construct update. Today I'll see if I can't compile a version with the fix.

Ahh! The woes of rolling out mod packs in a version that is still stabilising amidst all the nonsense around it. :(
We'll wait... We can wait... :)
Just release the version when all's done, and drop a line here, as well as update the first post. :)