[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

SpwnX

Jul 29, 2019
This is definitely a challenge. It irritated the hell out of me and I'm still thinking there needs to be a crappy Day 1 torch option of some sort.

Couple of options:
1) Coal Ore veins are now gigantic and easy to see from the surface. Run around till you find one on some exposed rock
2) Make a coal coke oven really fast if you have clay/sand nearby
3) Make a normal furnace and burn other crap (like cobblestone) so that the furnace itself generates enough light until morning (I seriously did this once)
4) Use cheap sticky resin for torches like you would with (char)coal. [IC2 secret recipe which can be revealed via ic2 config so nei can tell you it, hint @Jason McRay ]

Edit: GalacticGreg is out! Have greglorious worldgen on GC planets.
http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=11039

Last edited:

Lemonfreezers

Jul 29, 2019
Hey i just started looking at this pack and it is already tons of fun with the hardcoreness feel to it. I love that in these packs. Just wondering if anyone is playing on a server and if so can you refer me to the page or the person that owns it so that i can join? i love playing on servers cause playing single is fun but gets boring after awhile

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
I hate that (OCD obv), and I thought all modpacks were using it now to reduce server lag from those leaf blocks ticking? Also disappointed that I can't make charcoal in a furnace (that's absurd), but I guess I'm going to learn to hate Gregtech all over again. LOL
Treecapitator can do the leaf blocks, it also makes for more realistic lumber cutting.
Charcoal, Greg should add charcoal pits like they use in Terrafirmacraft, fill it with logs, set it on fire and come back later with a shovel.

MajPayne21

Jul 29, 2019
I see from earlier this week that Grove is out of town. Bummer.

I was hoping to be admitted to the dev server (finally). Hopefully he gets a chance to reply, and if I get accepted, maybe I *will* actually have a base on the server.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a problem with Opis/Mapwriter? I just started the modpack today and played one hour and quit. Came back later, and all my vast exploration of the world isn't showing up in Mapwriter. It's all black and hidden again. Why would that happen?

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a problem with Opis/Mapwriter? I just started the modpack today and played one hour and quit. Came back later, and all my vast exploration of the world isn't showing up in Mapwriter. It's all black and hidden again. Why would that happen?

Are you in "underground" mode?

MajPayne21

Jul 29, 2019

If you are in underground mode, push "U" to switch back to overworld mode.

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
Hey i just started looking at this pack and it is already tons of fun with the hardcoreness feel to it. I love that in these packs. Just wondering if anyone is playing on a server and if so can you refer me to the page or the person that owns it so that i can join? i love playing on servers cause playing single is fun but gets boring after awhile

Depends, we have a whitelisted Development server but if you want to join it and become a tester you'd have to apply on the website.

http://infinity-minecraft.co.uk/

Other than that I'm not aware of any public servers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
I see from earlier this week that Grove is out of town. Bummer.

I was hoping to be admitted to the dev server (finally). Hopefully he gets a chance to reply, and if I get accepted, maybe I *will* actually have a base on the server.

I get home tomorrow about 8pm UK time but if you message Jason McRay on the website forums he'll be able to help

http://infinity-minecraft.co.uk/home

Or wait 36 hours n I'll see what I can do ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Are you in "underground" mode?

Nope, I know about underground mode and it def wasn't that. For some reason all my previous exploration was gone. I've had this sort of problem with mapwriter before, altho it usually works perfectly. It's def my favorite of all the mapping mods altho other mapping mods have better waypointing. Can't have it all in one package, I guess.

Anyway, I already deleted that world and started another one, and the same thing happened. All the exploring I did yesterday is gone, all I can see on the map is the circle around where I am presently. I've been using my boat to map out large portions of my world and I think perhaps that might be the issue here. Boats really suck in Minecraft with the desync/lag issues or whatever Mojang did (they really f'ed boats up bad)... but it certainly isn't a problem with InfiTech modpack, it occurs with all modpacks. But if Mapwriter isn't going to work properly with this pack, I don't think I'm gonna be able to play it for very long. Mapping & waypointing is essential to playing the game IMO.

Speaking of boats, it's sad they don't work well because they're awesome for early game:
(a) you can map and explore much quicker than on foot
(b) you don't lose hunger while spending time in the boat
(c) you can safely spend the night in a boat without fear of mobs

Since I can't find any coal in the first few days of exploring, and since we can't make charcoal, I never have any light sources during the first night or two, so a boat is my best strategy. Too bad I go thru a boat every 2 minutes... I'll be 20 blocks from shore and the next thing I know is my boat is broken and gone... and there are the sticks and wood next to the shore. I was 20 blocks from it, but the game thinks I was over there and hit the sand? Give me a break... If I have one hope for the evil big corporate Microsoft (who thinks they are a "gaming" company but excuse me while I laugh out loud at that idea), I hope they fix the way boats work. Darn it!

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
We will be adding other waypoint manager to the modpack. Probably Journey Map.

In BeyondReality, they have Opis/Mapwriter so I can press "M" and get a big huge overview of my world, and they also have "Voxel Map - No radar (Zans)" installed as well... which has the best waypointing IMO, and thus the best mini-map. So I use Mapwriter for the big map view, and Zan's for the mini-map with waypoint directions shown as arrows around the circumference of the mini-map. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to turn off Opis/Mapwriter's mini-map, there doesn't seem to be any option to do so, sadly... all I can change is where it resides on the screen, so I move it to another corner. But BeyondReality's method is the best I've seen yet, using a combination of the two mapping mods. The Voxel/Zan's confuses me, that seems to be two mods combined... but I do like how they turned off the mob radar because that is too "cheaty" for my tastes.

MajPayne21

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, I know about underground mode and it def wasn't that. For some reason all my previous exploration was gone. I've had this sort of problem with mapwriter before, altho it usually works perfectly. It's def my favorite of all the mapping mods altho other mapping mods have better waypointing. Can't have it all in one package, I guess.

Anyway, I already deleted that world and started another one, and the same thing happened. All the exploring I did yesterday is gone, all I can see on the map is the circle around where I am presently. I've been using my boat to map out large portions of my world and I think perhaps that might be the issue here. Boats really suck in Minecraft with the desync/lag issues or whatever Mojang did (they really f'ed boats up bad)... but it certainly isn't a problem with InfiTech modpack, it occurs with all modpacks. But if Mapwriter isn't going to work properly with this pack, I don't think I'm gonna be able to play it for very long. Mapping & waypointing is essential to playing the game IMO.

Speaking of boats, it's sad they don't work well because they're awesome for early game:
(a) you can map and explore much quicker than on foot
(b) you don't lose hunger while spending time in the boat
(c) you can safely spend the night in a boat without fear of mobs

Since I can't find any coal in the first few days of exploring, and since we can't make charcoal, I never have any light sources during the first night or two, so a boat is my best strategy. Too bad I go thru a boat every 2 minutes... I'll be 20 blocks from shore and the next thing I know is my boat is broken and gone... and there are the sticks and wood next to the shore. I was 20 blocks from it, but the game thinks I was over there and hit the sand? Give me a break... If I have one hope for the evil big corporate Microsoft (who thinks they are a "gaming" company but excuse me while I laugh out loud at that idea), I hope they fix the way boats work. Darn it!

I have two theories for you. One is that when you updated your modpack version (if you have done that recently), you did not select to back up configs and saves on your client. The mapwriter maps save the surface map info in a folder in /saves organized by IP of the server you're on. If the saves are deleted, your historical map data for servers is deleted too. This may be why all your info is gone from mapwriter.

The second theory is that your multiplayer chunk cache is not keeping up with your boat travels (a common problem), which means the server is trying to send you new chunks and it can't do it fast enough (slow chunk loading or network lag, typically). Since you're moving kind of fast in the boat, you're not in the same position on the client and the server, and when the server finally catches up, it thinks you ran into the shore. You can check on this by pushing F3 and seeing if your multiplayer chunk cache is 441 (this is the typical value for servers). If it's less than that and slowly increasing, the server is too slow while sending you chunks. You can observe this often after logging into a slow server. You think everything is fine so you're moving around and doing stuff, but all of a sudden you get snapped back to your original starting spot when the server finally catches up and sends you all the chunks you're supposed to have.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks MajPayne, let me check... I def have the mapwriter folder tree in InfiTech2/minecraft/saves/, but I don't ever mess with it. When I make a backup copy of my world folder, I know to also copy the mapwriter folder as well. I've lost all my hard work of exploring and mapping my world before, so I learned the hard way to also copy that folder too.

I'm just not sure what you mean by "when you updated your modpack version (if you have done that recently), you did not select to back up configs and saves on your client"... do you mean in the FTB launcher? I don't see any settings like that in there. And since I only started playing this modpack yesterday, I do not believe there have been any updates or reinstalls of the modpack.

Your second paragraph is what I was trying to say... perhaps the way the boats work (as in, they are totally messed up) is causing issues with the way Mapwriter works? I dunno. And FYI, I'm playing in a SSP world, altho I know Mojang combined SSP and SMP into one package and basically we're all playing "SMP" even if we play alone. Don't get me started on that topic tho! It just boggles my mind that I can be playing "offline" and somehow still experience "server lag". Good lord...

-------

UPDATE: Okay, I guess I've taken up enough space here with my problems... for anyone interested, read this page on Minecraft forums. I'm not alone in having this issue, and it would appear to be an issue with the Mapwriter mod itself and not with InfiTech2 modpack. Thanks for all your helpful advice tho!

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I didnt have any issues with boats, are you using fastcraft @asb3pe ?

If it isn't in a modpack, then I don't use it. I'm not a "get under the hood and tinker" kinda guy when it comes to mods. I just play with what we're given in these great launchers like FTB or AT.

Having said that... I'm definitely investigating because if this will clear up some of my SSP lag issues, then heck yeah I'm gonna learn how to install it and use it!

Okay, I just got brave and dropped the Fastcraft jar file into my InfiTech2 mods folder... will report in a few mins whether it helps my boating at all.

Update: After installing Fastcraft, it does appear I'm having difficulty crashing my boat into the shoreline now. :) I've been trying to do so without any luck... and that's def a good thing indeed! Thanks for the nudge, I really need to stay current on the minecraft modding world because this mod does seem quite valuable from my intial impressions.

Last edited:

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
I used to get intolerable lag on 1.7.x till i installed Fastcraft, havnt had a problem since - though i did make a point of disabling inventory tweaks too because it was making minecraft play the stop 'n' go game when i opened chests and crafting tables.

Edit: well nevermind the multiblock farms, i just saw the response on github, would of been nice to see it in patch notes first though, just saying - its a pretty big change imo.

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
4) Use cheap sticky resin for torches like you would with (char)coal. [IC2 secret recipe which can be revealed via ic2 config so nei can tell you it, hint @Jason McRay ]

I forgot to give this a +1, early-game light source problem solved, thank you very much for the helpful advice. Sticky resin only costs 5 wood planks for a tree tap, and I'd say the chances of encountering an IC2 rubber tree are much better than the chances of coming across a GT coal seam during the first few days of play. Those rubber trees stick out like sore thumbs with the two leaf blocks atop the trunk. Love em!

Please take SpwnX's advice and enable the IC2 config file to show the hidden recipes in NEI. Thanks!

Reactions: Pyure