[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Well I'd test it except it's actually really slow to test, the most correct way to see if it's working would be to get every research except those two and then craft 9 knowledge fragments together for a note. The tricky part being you need every other research, that's a lot of time entering commands to give yourself all the researches, even if you remove all the addons to speed things up it's still likely to be painfully slow.

Of course the research just gives an alternative method of getting aluminium, you need at least one nugget first though and I've never found any as loot at least so that means you'd need the MV EBF before you could do it in the first place. Then you've got to provide the aspects it wants which is fairly easy, although it does want 3 aspects + metallum, ignis and ordo are fairly easy but the volatus is trickier, there isn't that many ways to get that and most of them are going to be annoying to automate, the best way would almost definitely be a cursed spirit blade in a killer joe with a way of spawning bats, chickens, or ghasts, ghasts would produce the most at 16 volatus a kill which would give you some pretty good speeds even with a tablet of necromancy.

Of course you may not need to automate it for long, each ghast kill is 3.5 ingots worth of volatus after all so even just tablet + killer joe for an hour would give you a few stacks of aluminium.
I'm honestly just curious. I have two HV EBFs, aluminium isn't a big deal.

I no longer get any research from notes, they just transform back into fragments again due (presumably) to running out of research I can do.

I've probably neglected to scan one of the other GT metals or ingots or something.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
My current transmutation research:

upload_2015-7-9_22-15-17.png

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, it just needs those and steel transmutation to meet the prereqs as far as I can tell, I don't think there is any invisible connections as I glanced at the code once and don't remember any. @Blood Asp, can you explain why it's not working? Did I miss something or is it buggy?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I'm honestly just curious. I have two HV EBFs, aluminium isn't a big deal.

I no longer get any research from notes, they just transform back into fragments again due (presumably) to running out of research I can do.

I've probably neglected to scan one of the other GT metals or ingots or something.
I'm in the same situation. I don't get any hidden research from knowledge fragments anymore, and I have researched everything I could find in regular TC and almost everything in the other tabs. I'm really curious about how to unlock this. It's probably something you'd never do in the course of playing, such as scanning an aluminium nugget (which just occurred to me - I'll try that when I get home).

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I'm doing some efficiency calculations and i'm just wondering if you guys do efficiency calculations and if you count in the inefficiency from power generation into the calculation? (i.e: basic steam turbine 66% efficiency)
Yes, and yes. Before I make a power generation system, I usually calculate how much fuel I'm going to need per time unit and how much net power I'll get out of it in that time unit. I don't always end up building the most efficient setup though, particularly later in the game - there is a point where the added expense or complexity isn't worth it. It's similar in ore processing. I often forego the second byproduct if it's reasonably common or I don't expect to need more of it (cobalt or nickel comes to mind), since centrifuges are both power-intensive and time-consuming. Also I don't centrifuge and electrolyze sulfide ores any more since I have more sulfur than I'll ever need, while I always do it with oxide ores since I need oxygen for steel and annealed copper.

A somewhat related question: does anyone know if quantum tanks keep their inventories if you pick them up? I have one with a kilobucket of oxygen I'd rather not lose.

Reactions: Tsuko

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah AMT is the hidden one, I was looking at it before I wandered off to watch something. It is hidden though, the second argument after the icon is type and the type with a flag of 4 is hidden. The listed aspects it needs are correct as well, however I'm not sure if they matter as you can get research notes you don't know all the aspects for and they just show up as question marks. The required researches though are bismuth, invar, soldering alloy, battery alloy, brass, electrum, cupronickel, and steel transmutation, doesn't seem to be any other requirements.

So yeah, the key part seems to be the fact it's set as a hidden research, not sure why that would make things fail though.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Now it will be just full of maybes.... What about scanning all ingots that you can get with the transmutations? Or maybe its just indeed broken :D I guess the best bet would be letting @Blood Asp time to look at it. I understand that transmuting Aluminium should be hard to get, because it will "kind of let you to skip" to MV age without touching LV.

Or maybe the research note is really low chance to obtain. Not sure how the research notes works, if it will still try to give you research that you already have, only if you have it it will break down to fragments, or if it will give you always the ones you have not compelted. Its bit hard and tedious to test this out in creative as well, since you would need to do the researches even then.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I understand that transmuting Aluminium should be hard to get, because it will "kind of let you to skip" to MV age without touching LV.
Actually it wouldn't as far as I know, because the way transmutations work means you take some of the metal and duplicate it with metallum, primarily from other metals which is where the transmutation bit comes from. This means however you need access to an aluminium nugget before you can transmute more, that basically means you'll need an ingot and short of trading with someone on a server I'm not sure you can actually get those without building an EBF to get your first the GT way, at least I've never seen any spawn in dungeon chests, if they can that would be the alternative but it's far from reliable.

Reactions: EchoingZen

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Do you have Advanced Metallurgic Transmutation unlocked as well? That is needed for Aluminium research.

Well.. actually If i am reading the code correctly, it might be that research for AMT is hidden.
I don't think I've seen that research yet.

Yeah AMT is the hidden one, I was looking at it before I wandered off to watch something. It is hidden though, the second argument after the icon is type and the type with a flag of 4 is hidden. The listed aspects it needs are correct as well, however I'm not sure if they matter as you can get research notes you don't know all the aspects for and they just show up as question marks. The required researches though are bismuth, invar, soldering alloy, battery alloy, brass, electrum, cupronickel, and steel transmutation, doesn't seem to be any other requirements.
I did scan all the available transmutable ingots and their respective nuggets just to be safe. I'm wondering if maybe I have to actually do a transmutation on some or all of these in order to get the research. Is doing an action such as a transmutation ever a prerequisite?

I'll triple-check available researches again tonight I guess, unless BLood Asp learns something useful.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think I've seen that research yet.

I did scan all the available transmutable ingots and their respective nuggets just to be safe. I'm wondering if maybe I have to actually do a transmutation on some or all of these in order to get the research. Is doing an action such as a transmutation ever a prerequisite?

I'll triple-check available researches again tonight I guess, unless BLood Asp learns something useful.
You have steel transmutation and your picture included all other pre-req researches so that's not an issue, and no as far as I can tell the research is only used once in the file that adds the research so every requirement is in that line of code. The only notable thing on that line is the type of the research being set to hidden, everything else is standard stuff pretty much every research there follows.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You have steel transmutation and your picture included all other pre-req researches so that's not an issue, and no as far as I can tell the research is only used once in the file that adds the research so every requirement is in that line of code. The only notable thing on that line is the type of the research being set to hidden, everything else is standard stuff pretty much every research there follows.
Any chance that substituting in/out "flavours" of metals (say, GT's steel instead of RC's steel) could be an issue?

I realize ore-dicting should cover this, I'm just grasping atm.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Any chance that substituting in/out "flavours" of metals (say, GT's steel instead of RC's steel) could be an issue?

I realize ore-dicting should cover this, I'm just grasping atm.
oredict has nothing to do with the researching though, it just specifies what aspects are required, what researches are required, complexity and type and that's all that matters to unlocking it. For all we know it may be a vanilla thaumcraft bug in how hidden researches are handled, I don't know what's causing it though.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
oredict has nothing to do with the researching though, it just specifies what aspects are required, what researches are required, complexity and type and that's all that matters to unlocking it. For all we know it may be a vanilla thaumcraft bug in how hidden researches are handled, I don't know what's causing it though.
You'll note I said "grasping", and yeah.

I've asked on the thamucraft MC thread, we'll see how that goes.

edit: if anyone wants to keep an eye on it, http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...haumcraft-4-2-3-5-updated-2015-2-17?page=1394

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Ask Greg or people on GT thread directly (they might be able to help), or just wait for Blood Asp, patience young padawan :D