[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Yea there is few different Canning Machines, which can be used each only for specific task (annoys me when I make something, that actually I do not need).
Don't I know that. I built two HV macerators and a HV thermal centrifuge before I realized what I actually needed was the EV pulverizer and thermal centrifuge. At least I only wasted stainless steel, which is a little easier to come by than titanium.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Don't I know that. I built two HV macerators and a HV thermal centrifuge before I realized what I actually needed was the EV pulverizer and thermal centrifuge. At least I only wasted stainless steel, which is a little easier to come by than titanium.

Ooof. You're making me feel a little less derpy, Ieldra.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Don't think so, they're not really handled as inventories for most automation iirc.

At the early-nuclear stage, I can sorta cheat and use MFSUs instead, but I'd prefer if there were a GT method.
I'm using a workaround. Sort of, anyway. My reactor makes approximately 155 million EU in a cycle. If I reduce the output a little, I can make an MFSU and a lapotronic energy orb in an IV battery buffer and they store the output of a complete cycle. It took me forever to build that thing since you need an EV assembler, and for that you need 10 EV electric motors with neodymium rods, among other things, but I consider it worth it. As long as I haven't automated the reactor's fuel supply, doing one more thing manually when a cycle ends - exchanging a full energy orb for an empty one - doesn't matter much. What I didn't expect is how fast that orb drains if you're using just three EV machines for ore processing. Good that I don't need those all the time.

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
What are people using to make scrap? I don't need matter fabrication now, but since it takes forever to make UU-Matter, and it can (and should) be done with LV machines, I might as well start now.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
What are people using to make scrap? I don't need matter fabrication now, but since it takes forever to make UU-Matter, and it can (and should) be done with LV machines, I might as well start now.
I think I used farm output last time, for 99% of it. 1% was from a connected "dump stuff you don't want into here" chest.

I'm using a workaround. Sort of, anyway. My reactor makes approximately 155 million EU in a cycle. If I reduce the output a little, I can make an MFSU and a lapotronic energy orb in an IV battery buffer and they store the output of a complete cycle. It took me forever to build that thing since you need an EV assembler, and for that you need 10 EV electric motors with neodymium rods, among other things, but I consider it worth it. As long as I haven't automated the reactor's fuel supply, doing one more thing manually when a cycle ends - exchanging a full energy orb for an empty one - doesn't matter much. What I didn't expect is how fast that orb drains if you're using just three EV machines for ore processing. Good that I don't need those all the time.
How does your MFSU factor in there?

I may just end up using MFSUs in parallel to feed my base. Its easier in series to gauge how much you have, but in parallel you can send out more amperage.

I wonder if there's a way to "add" redstone signals. If I have, say, 4 MFSUs, each with an energy detector, I can turn on my generators when the total redstone signal is too low. Alternatively I could just turn them on when "any" signal is too low, that would work too.

I guess I have a solution, I just wish it were a GT one.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I think I used farm output last time, for 99% of it. 1% was from a connected "dump stuff you don't want into here" chest.
How does your MFSU factor in there?

I may just end up using MFSUs in parallel to feed my base. Its easier in series to gauge how much you have, but in parallel you can send out more amperage.

I wonder if there's a way to "add" redstone signals. If I have, say, 4 MFSUs, each with an energy detector, I can turn on my generators when the total redstone signal is too low. Alternatively I could just turn them on when "any" signal is too low, that would work too.

I guess I have a solution, I just wish it were a GT one.
The MFSU factors in in two ways: First, it stores the IC2 power coming out of the reactor before I transform it to GT power, and second it contributes 40 million EU to the total power storage of 140 million dedicated to the reactor's output. I guess I could dispense with it, make a bigger GT battery buffer and another energy orb and transform all power directly into GT power as it comes out of the reactor, but I didn't want or need a 2 amp IV output because this would affect my backbone power wiring throughout my base (not that there is much of that yet), doubling its expense in platinum.

As for handling the redstone, perhaps a look at Automagy's redcrystal will help. I recall it has a way of capping redstone signals, so that you can make a crystal emit a redstone signal if an incoming signal has a minimum or maximum strength. I was planning to use that to control PneumaticCraft pressure but didn't get around to it yet. If you use that and use a few AND gates from BluePower, you might be able to make your generators switch on if X or more of your power storage devices go below a defined threshold.

I would prefer a GT solution as well, but GT isn't good at redstone logic, while Bluepower - the next-best tech solution - isn't good at analog redstone. We'd need Reika's redstone mod (forgot the name) for that, which I sort of miss I should admit.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The MFSU factors in in two ways: First, it stores the IC2 power coming out of the reacto
r before I transform it to GT power, and second it contributes 40 million EU to the total power storage of 140 million dedicated to the reactor's output. I guess I could dispense with it, make a bigger GT battery buffer and another energy orb and transform all power directly into GT power as it comes out of the reactor, but I didn't want or need a 2 amp IV output because this would affect my backbone power wiring throughout my base (not that there is much of that yet), doubling its expense in platinum.
Ok I understood it correctly then. I'm doing something similar, except I'm using an IC2 HV transformer, so that it doesn't choke the throughput.

Its worth noting that your MFSU is going to act as a 2048 eu/t choke point. This isn't really a huge deal for you probably at this point: even if you have tons of HV+ machines, they won't all be running concurrently, and your buffer can sustain itself between power draw surges)

As for handling the redstone, perhaps a look at Automagy's redcrystal will help. I recall it has a way of capping redstone signals, so that you can make a crystal emit a redstone signal if an incoming signal has a minimum or maximum strength. I was planning to use that to control PneumaticCraft pressure but didn't get around to it yet.
Its funny, I've used automagy redcrystal to control PC pressure before. Definitely works, although I encountered minor occassional bugs on a server once (specifically, sometimes placing the crystal or removing it created an empty space that you couldn't place anything into or clear out). Hopefully your mileage differs.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I'm doing something similar, except I'm using an IC2 HV transformer, so that it doesn't choke the throughput.
I don't understand the role of this transformer in your setup. My setup looks like this: reactor chamber -> MFSU -> EV transformer uptransforming to IV -> IV battery buffer with a lapotronic energy orb -> 1 amp IV platinum cable as backbone wiring. The only choke point is, as you mentioned, the MFSU output which doesn't matter at this point.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I don't understand the role of this transformer in your setup. My setup looks like this: reactor chamber -> MFSU -> EV transformer uptransforming to IV -> IV battery buffer with a lapotronic energy orb -> 1 amp IV platinum cable as backbone wiring. The only choke point is, as you mentioned, the MFSU output which doesn't matter at this point.
They're performing the same role actually except I'm 99% sure my transformer allows more throughput and I don't get the benefit of extra storage.

I have
* reactor(s)
-> IC2 transformer
-> GT transformer (EV, upconverting so it can accept EU from multiple sides/reactors)
-> 2x aluminium cable (12 distance)
-> GT HV Transformer (down-converting to 512 -- my choke point, 2048 eu/t)
-> HV Battery buffer
-> stuff that needs power.

Reactions: Ieldra

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
@Jason McRay:
May I suggest a change in the materials sequence for the JABBA barrels' structural upgrades? At the moment it's level IV = diamond plates, level V = obsidian plates and level VI = cobalt plates. I'm finding that cobalt plates are easiest to come by - you don't even need a machine for them - suggesting them for level IV, followed by obsidian plates and finally diamond plates, which take an extremely long time to make.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@Jason McRay:
May I suggest a change in the materials sequence for the JABBA barrels' structural upgrades? At the moment it's level IV = diamond plates, level V = obsidian plates and level VI = cobalt plates. I'm finding that cobalt plates are easiest to come by - you don't even need a machine for them - suggesting them for level IV, followed by obsidian plates and finally diamond plates, which take an extremely long time to make.
This sorta makes sense. To get plates out of diamonds requires several steps (especially if you want maximum diamonds per ore), and diamond ore is more rare than cobalt.

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
I've got five basic gas turbines in a chest somewhere waiting to do something . Thought I was making steam ones. Oooh, that hurt.
Machines can be a bit expensive so i'm always very careful i'm trying to craft the right one lol.

I think basic steam turbines is pretty orthodox so you might that take as an opportunity to explore the diesel(?) or gas => power conversion instaid. I know i would if i made that many of them by mistake.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Machines can be a bit expensive so i'm always very careful i'm trying to craft the right one lol.

If it wasn't obvious already I'm still at the learning stage of GT :) so going to make some stupid errors.

Edited a few times.

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
If it wasn't obvious already I'm still at the learning stage of GT :) so going to make some stupid errors.

Edited a few times.
Ahh sorry, i stopped reading after what you wrote and i missed his response.

That's fine, i'm really paranoid about crafting the wrong things as that could mean a 30 minute grind or more to afford another one. Lately it has got better because i've more resources, i actually macerated a machine by mistake.. i got some steel dust from it =_=

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ahh sorry, i stopped reading after what you wrote and i missed his response.

That's fine, i'm really paranoid about crafting the wrong things as that could mean a 30 minute grind or more to afford another one. Lately it has got better because i've more resources, i actually macerated a machine by mistake.. i got some steel dust from it =_=
If you're gonna accidentally obliterate a machine, toss it in an arc furnace instead :p

Reactions: Tsuko

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
If you're gonna accidentally obliterate a machine, toss it in an arc furnace instead :p
The impending realization that i just put my machine in the macerator.. i was hoping it wasn't processed by the machine and just went through the pipe... but look and behold! all that was remaining was steel dust :'(

Poor machine, such a sad fate.

Reactions: SolManX and Pyure

EchoingZen

Jul 29, 2019
The impending realization that i just put my machine in the macerator.. i was hoping it wasn't processed by the machine and just went through the pipe... but look and behold! all that was remaining was steel dust :'(

Poor machine, such a sad fate.
:( That sucks.