[1.6.4] TolkienCraft

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
I went and re-looked and saw, thank you. I am checking it and the LotR textures as they seem to have more ready than they let on in the posts. There are a couple of others that look like they may have 1.5 versions, which means I can fix them for 1.6 so I should be sending an update for this around the same time I send the update in for the pack (loads of mods have updated this last couple of weeks as well).

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Update submitted and should be ready by Friday evening. Enjoy!

Keep in mind, Lord of the Rings updates monthly and works hard to always provide new content when they update, so your Middle-Earth dimension may need to be reset after any updates. Also, Natura made some changes to nether gen, so you may need to reset that as well.

Last edited:

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
New Update this friday, changelog in opening post. Not as many updates this period and it looks like many if not all mod makers are officially moving to 1.7.x and only posting bugfixes (with a couple of exceptions).

Texture pack is also updated with new textures for LotR and ChocoCraft

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
New bi-wkly update this friday! version 1.4.1 brings a couple of new mods, ForgeIRC, Kami, and Enchiridon. The last of those are more for a new feature the modpack will have and does not directly affect your worlds, though it does add one new item to help consolidate all the mod books you keep getting!

As always, since certain mods are still considered Beta, remember to back up your worlds.

And as of this update over 50% of mods are now progressing through 1.7.x versions so probably start working on a beta version for 1.7 of this modpack within the next month.

Brandon3055

Jul 29, 2019
I have been helping test this pack with GreatOrator for a while while now and i must say it is a GREAT pack! There are a lot of new and interesting mods to explore but not too many. On top of that its a very stable pack and is one of the fastest loading packs i have ever seen.

I have just decided to help with the pack development and maintenance and i will be helping to moderate the Tolkiencraft web site when i can so you can expect to see me around in the future. I have also set up an IRC channel for tolkiencraft that i hope will see some activity as the number of people using this awesome pack grows. http://webchat.esper.net/?nick=&channels=tolkiencraft feel free to come chat with us if we are online!

Reactions: GreatOrator

deadspark

Jul 29, 2019
1st there was minecraft. you could farm, mine and craft your self a dirt house
next came mods. able to build a base and automate things spending hours trying to power an electric furnace
time for the next upgrade: a reason to do these things TolkienCraft is GreatOrator's attempt to do just that.
--------------------------
i have known GreatOrator for a few months now and he has always felt the current ftb mod packs just don't give you much more than a different way to build your base spending your whole time in one area trying to think of how to build the same base/home with a slight change of mods.
thanks to the server we was on removing almost everything we had built(yet another base that we spend 99% of our time at) GreatOrator decided to do something about it. this is TolkienCraft.
-------------------------
i hope you enjoy what GreatOrator has made, and that you stay with us as we continue to develop and growTolkienCraft

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
We now have an official team for this pack, I have updated the original post to reflect who they are and their roles with the pack!

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
New version should be available for download this friday.

Just an update for 1.7...

Right now we are sitting at around 37% of mods ready with more joining the list each week, what I can also tell you is that moving forward into the new version we have some exciting ideas for additions to the mod for both players and server admins and with the new official team in place this work has grown a lot easier.

I know you guys are going to enjoy the update once it is here and as always, enjoy your travels to middle-earth!

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
First off, my apologies for the delayed update, personal life became a necessity and since there was a lull in mod updates at this time I took a break from the biwkly cycle. That will change this tuesday as I will be working on the update for the 1.6 pack so it can get up for the next launcher cycle.

Now, for the 1.7 mod pack version...We are now at 50% of the mods in the list are officially at 1.7 (whether dev versions or otherwise) so my team and I will begin testing in SSP and SMP as well as continuing to add mods as they update.

At current pace, it is possible (no promises) that we will have a 1.7 of the pack available in about a month as that seems to be the current pace the rest of the mods are currently updating.

We also have a new mod exclusive to this pack in the 1.7 version that I am extremely excited about and if you visit our official site you can see the discussion on it (the post will be getting an update as well).

Thanks to everyone who has downloaded and been playing with the modpack and know that I intend to keep bringing you a fund pack and with 1.7 we have added several new mods that will not only fit the theme but will also make it even more fun!

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Update submitted and should be live by Friday evening!

As of this update (1.4.3) unless there is a game breaking bug that has been corrected there will be no further updates as we move to a 1.7 version of the pack. Mods are barely updating for 1.6 at this point (which also contributed to the longer update cycle this time) and are moving at a much quicker pace towards 1.7.

The upside is that the 1.7 pack so far is turning out to be even more exciting than 1.6 with many new mods to help you explore and for the builders in you, even more options!

Keep watching for more updates though you are strongly encouraged to visit our packs main website for the most up-to-date info.

zStorm

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for making a great mod pack. I just discovered it last night and have been enjoying it except for one part. What mod removes a tool from your hotbar when it reaches about 5 durability? This feature is annoying for me with my tinker construct tools and I would like to disable this feature in my game.

Thanks,
- zStorm

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
ahhh, that is part of the inventory tweaks mod. Glad to hear you are enjoying the mod though! thank for the feedback.

You can turn off that feature and several others. If i remember, you click the ... when you are in your inventory.

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the thermal expansion is because this pack is not exclusively a magic pack (remember in the books/movie the industry saruman had to create the urukai) so was attempting to come up with a close approximation of that. I'll admit the oddball is applied energistics and that is because, well, it is too awesome a storage mod not to include (and my personal favorite, lol)

Thank you for the feedback and wait to see some of the additions to the 1.7 pack!

Reactions: buggirlexpres

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Running latest. Have been having intermittent pauses/lag in SP since the beginning. Ran opis and rivvest.Revamp.ServerTickerRevamp had the highest tickrate (like 250uS) as compared to other entities, etc... running around the 40-50's. Which mod is this from? Quick google shows something similar to a villager mod which isn't in this pack.

Also, how do you start middle earth? I have been just setting up shop and getting ores, etc... but wondering how you actually start the mod, travel to middle earth, etc... is there a book I should make other than the starter one? Is there a guide somewhere?

Thanks alot

p.s. one edit: how balanced is starting area zombies with like 7k+ hit points with wither? :} I play BNB and at least they have reasonable settings for the infernal mobs/lycantes... heh I'm practicing my running (and hiding) skills :}

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Well, revamp is a mod in the game, it is the one that controls villager behavior. I'll have to take a look since I have been running a server and had no issues like that. When you see that message can you try to pinpoint the chunk to see?

I agree that the infernal mobs tend to have rather high hitpoints, I'll take a look at adjusting that to see what kind of cap to place on it, though does make for a challenge getting started (Had one true infernal (orange name) in my SMP that was causing me some heartache until I could at least get a wall up, lol)

For middle earth, you need to craft a gold ring (9 gold nuggets in a circle) and toss it in lava, but keep in mind that mod only allows one ring portal, so make sure the place you put it is definitely where you want it.

As soon as you let me know a bit more on what you find at the specific location of that error on your map I can try to replicate it.

I can say that it looks like it will be a mod that doesn't make it to 1.7 but I have found a better alternative for that version.

Thanks for the feedback!

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Well, revamp is a mod in the game, it is the one that controls villager behavior. I'll have to take a look since I have been running a server and had no issues like that. When you see that message can you try to pinpoint the chunk to see?

I agree that the infernal mobs tend to have rather high hitpoints, I'll take a look at adjusting that to see what kind of cap to place on it, though does make for a challenge getting started (Had one true infernal (orange name) in my SMP that was causing me some heartache until I could at least get a wall up, lol)

For middle earth, you need to craft a gold ring (9 gold nuggets in a circle) and toss it in lava, but keep in mind that mod only allows one ring portal, so make sure the place you put it is definitely where you want it.

As soon as you let me know a bit more on what you find at the specific location of that error on your map I can try to replicate it.

I can say that it looks like it will be a mod that doesn't make it to 1.7 but I have found a better alternative for that version.

Thanks for the feedback!

I love the idea of this pack. don't get me wrong, and I'm beginning to think my machine needs to retire (even tho it's only 2 years old). I find it hillarious that I can play any game (AAA or otherwise) no problems but it's some packs for minecraft that bring it to it's knees :} the early versions of BNB had some awful lag cause of the mob mods (zombie awareness/lycante's) (it might be deadly world, not sure). later on he figured out how to reign it in and eyamaz ended up making it quite playable. the lag there was nothing compared to what I'm experiencing. and it's not one place on the map, it's everywhere. If you're not getting reports of this, then probably the issue's on my end, but I'm completely at a loss.

I ran opis and just watched it for stutter bursts and they happen quite often with nothing really sticking out as a contributor to it. I've torched the island I started on and I have no nighttime spawns of mobs (just some swimming for their health trying to get to me). The stuttering happens about once a minute or so with some times there are none at all, and when it happens, it's over in a couple seconds and back to normal. it's not memory. I'm running eyamaz's suggestion for FTB packs with 6gb allocated and F3 shows about 20-25% memory usage. Maybe it's my init settings in ftb launcher? I run this now with monster, etc... and no issues even with huge factory, etc... ag skies, same. even more production with about 100-200 crucibles w/lava causing the most lag but it's really inconsequential compared to this. I've been trying to tolerate it cause I see the fun at the end of the rainbow in this pack and I want to play... but it's getting hard to do. Is revamp something I could disable w/o major issues to see if it is causing the stuttering? if it is, is it something I can permantly disable or is it needed for the experience? I already disabled thaumcraft and thaumcraft tinker for possible troubleshooting and am playing w/o it in this world. it seemed to make a tiny difference but not really.

Thanks for replying and making this pack. I'll continue playing and run opi's and see if I find anything useful to report.

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Well, to be honest, revamp was more of an aesthetic type mod, it doesn't really add anything to the pack rather than changing the villager behavior algorithm so if you disable it there wouldn't be any negative impact to your enjoying the mod. The creator does say in his thread it has the potential to cause machines to lag in some cases and was going to work on a fix but that has not happened since I first added it to the pack.

So try disabling it and let me know if there is an improvement. TC and TT shouldn't cause any performance issues from what i've seen so I would fall back to revamp and disabling.

Let me know, I can take a deeper look at it for sure and for infernal mobs I can play around with some settings if need be and post a config fix to this topic.

Again, really appreciating the feedback and let me tell you, the 1.7 version has huge plans and **spoiler** may even come with a map....

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Well, to be honest, revamp was more of an aesthetic type mod, it doesn't really add anything to the pack rather than changing the villager behavior algorithm so if you disable it there wouldn't be any negative impact to your enjoying the mod. The creator does say in his thread it has the potential to cause machines to lag in some cases and was going to work on a fix but that has not happened since I first added it to the pack.

So try disabling it and let me know if there is an improvement. TC and TT shouldn't cause any performance issues from what i've seen so I would fall back to revamp and disabling.

Let me know, I can take a deeper look at it for sure and for infernal mobs I can play around with some settings if need be and post a config fix to this topic.

Again, really appreciating the feedback and let me tell you, the 1.7 version has huge plans and **spoiler** may even come with a map....

That truly seems to be it. I disabled it and went back in and there is a slight (<1 second) pause transitioning out of my camp biome (witchwood forest) to the tropics biome island next to mine but that's the only pause. Before, I'd have hit about 10+ of those micro stutters in between that transition and the big transition would be an epileptic fit in between. damn. that one mod causing all the problems. weird. I'd add thaumcraft but I don't want to worry about adding in something after the fact, plus, when he nerfed the essentia tubes, I lost all interest in the mod since the golems walk around like cousins of hodor getting stuck in half slabs, drowning or catching fire in the cauldron. w/o minefactory reloaded, this is going to be very strange, but I will use this as an opportunity to explore forestry again and play w/o my infinite milk / cow breeding and get rid of the guilt of separating the cows from their babies.... yay! :}

Thank you so much. this is totally playable now. beyond night and day. thanks!

btw, if you guys put HQM (? the questing mod in AG skies) to good use in 1.7 (if you use it), that will open up things tremendously. just no purple madness please. please no purple madness......

:} I'm going to go now and kill some hobbitses... err save hobbitsses...... whatever.

thanks again

Edit: I have a bad habit of not waiting enough time to test something. I started going through the results of my last mining and things started stuttering. disabling that mod definately helped but something's causing it to stutter still but it's totally better than it was. I will blame it on my machine and be done with it. thanks again

Last edited:

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome! I will say that even on my machine, witchwood forests do tend to cause a bit of l;ag....most likely the amount of leaves coupled with the falling leaf animation, but yes, still playable from that aspect.

We are planning to use HQM just not in hardcore mode, just quests. Couple with another mod called custom NPC's which also has a built-in questing feature. If you visit our website you can get an idea of what is going on as we have a discussion going on about quest ideas at the moment and you are even welcome to join the site and join in the convo if you want!

Not having all of the tech mods is definitely a challenge, but there are still ways to automate nearly everything if you look hard enough!