Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
So my server started playing Forgecraft. First day, I'm in a boat exploring, when suddenly i get sucked into some kind of hole and can't escape. I was spinning around but not falling. Tried to keep jumping out of the hole for a while but 10 seconds later I'm dead. Lovely. So I make another boat and go back there because I had some good stuff and was curious about my gravestone.... sure enough I see it right on the water surface! So I boat over there but before I get to the gravestone, I see it break apart into particles and disappear... and almost immediately I'm in the same hole as before, the same result, no escape. Death. With the message "xxxx fell out of the world". Gee, thanks!

So do you think this is a bug/error or is this exactly how a Thaumcraft Hungry Node would operate? How come the adjacent water blocks aren't going into it then? Even tho I only got a very brief look, the "hole" I fell into seemed to only be affecting one block. It looked like an empty column way down to the bottom of the ocean, but just that one block.

Consensus is that I was lucky enough to boat at random right smack into a TC Hungry Node but I'm still not certain it isn't some weird bug with the modpack. Someone else already fell down a single block hole to their death (on land, not on water), so we're seeing some weird things and I figure I'd post to see if anyone knows. What is with these single-block columns filled with nothing in Forgecraft? Occasionally I will find a single block at ground level filled with water. I always jump into the hole to check, and almost always find that it is a water-filled shaft going deep down into bedrock - kinda like a BC Oil Geyser except its not oil, it's water. Why are these found in the world? Are they errors? Are the Oil Geysers that didn't get oil?
There are water springs that do spawn, although you should be able to swim in them.

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
There are water springs that do spawn, although you should be able to swim in them.

Yes, didn't mean to imply that the water springs are harmful. But whatever happened to me in my boat certainly was.

I only brought up the "water springs" because I see them occasionally and didn't know if they are a glitch/bug or if a certain mod is inserting those water-filled deep shafts into worldgen for some strange unknown reason.

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Yes, didn't mean to imply that the water springs are harmful. But whatever happened to me in my boat certainly was.

I only brought up the "water springs" because I see them occasionally and didn't know if they are a glitch/bug or if a certain mod is inserting those water-filled deep shafts into worldgen for some reason.
Hmm. Perhaps post something on buildcrafts bug tracker, and perhaps try to recreate it.

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
Can someone please tell me what modules I can and can't have on the Ender Quarry? I currently had Silk Touch, Pump Speed and World Hole (because without it, I can't pick up any Oreberry Bushes). Even though I have the Pump Module on, it's not picking up the Liquid and everything it set up properly.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
So my server started playing Forgecraft. First day, I'm in a boat exploring, when suddenly i get sucked into some kind of hole and can't escape. I was spinning around but not falling. Tried to keep jumping out of the hole for a while but 10 seconds later I'm dead. Lovely. So I make another boat and go back there because I had some good stuff and was curious about my gravestone.... sure enough I see it right on the water surface! So I boat over there but before I get to the gravestone, I see it break apart into particles and disappear... and almost immediately I'm in the same hole as before, the same result, no escape. Death. With the message "xxxx fell out of the world". Gee, thanks!

So do you think this is a bug/error or is this exactly how a Thaumcraft Hungry Node would operate? How come the adjacent water blocks aren't going into it then? Even tho I only got a very brief look, the "hole" I fell into seemed to only be affecting one block. It looked like an empty column way down to the bottom of the ocean, but just that one block.

Consensus is that I was lucky enough to boat at random right smack into a TC Hungry Node but I'm still not certain it isn't some weird bug with the modpack. Someone else already fell down a single block hole to their death (on land, not on water), so we're seeing some weird things and I figure I'd post to see if anyone knows. What is with these single-block columns filled with nothing in Forgecraft? Occasionally I will find a single block at ground level filled with water. I always jump into the hole to check, and almost always find that it is a water-filled shaft going deep down into bedrock - kinda like a BC Oil Geyser except its not oil, it's water. Why are these found in the world? Are they errors? Are the Oil Geysers that didn't get oil?
That particualr incident you definatrly found yourself a hungry node. The Gravestone getting broken apart and disappearing is hard proof of that (hungry nodes absorb nearby blocks, meaning they often form a crater around themselves given enough time.) Above water, things are a little different, as long as that water is part of an infinite source. The node would eat a water block, only for it to be replenished by minecraft mechanics, hence no crater. As to seeing a single column down to ocean, I'm guessing a graphical thing is happening here.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013

I only brought up the "water springs" because I see them occasionally and didn't know if they are a glitch/bug or if a certain mod is inserting those water-filled deep shafts into worldgen for some strange unknown reason.
Buildcraft does spawn water springs that go from the surface to bedrock; they refill themselves when you pump them so the people playing with otherwise finite water can have a constant supply of coolant for their combustion engines.

As for why you're getting water-spring-like shafts that aren't filled with water... I don't know. Are they, by chance, filled with water below the bottom of the ocean, and only empty within the depth of ocean?

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for responses. How unlucky do I have to be to be boating around the ocean within the first half hour on a new server and run into a hungry node? LOL Thankfully, nobody but me uses a boat in Minecraft, and even I only use it for the first few days on the server to explore the map easier. Boats are basically un-playable in 1.7, at least in my current modpack and server. I was hitting the shore that was at least 4 chunks away. There's "broken"... and then there is "minecraft boat". LOL

I guess we should be very glad the hungry node is over the ocean then, since that's the place where it basically won't do any damage to our world over time. I love the Thaumcraft mechanics but not sure I like this one feature of the mod very much at all.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone please tell me what modules I can and can't have on the Ender Quarry? I currently had Silk Touch, Pump Speed and World Hole (because without it, I can't pick up any Oreberry Bushes). Even though I have the Pump Module on, it's not picking up the Liquid and everything it set up properly.
Attach an inventory that can store liquids to the quarry, like an tank.
Although, you might not have enough space. Maybe use a tesseract to pump both the items and the liquids?

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
Attach an inventory that can store liquids to the quarry, like an tank.
Although, you might not have enough space. Maybe use a tesseract to pump both the items and the liquids?

I have Tesseracts supplying power and taking liquids and items. But when I had 4 modules hooked up, the pump stopped. Is there a limit of 3 attached modules to the Quarry? Also, would still like to know why Silk Touch/Speed/Pump Combo won't pick up Oreberry Bushes.

Tested it with Silk Touch or Fortune/Pump/Speed and it doesn't pick up the Oreberry Bushes. If I change one of them with a World Hole Module, they get picked up.

Last edited:

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
I have Tesseracts supplying power and taking liquids and items. But when I had 4 modules hooked up, the pump stopped. Is there a limit of 3 attached modules to the Quarry? Also, would still like to know why Silk Touch/Speed/Pump Combo won't pick up Oreberry Bushes.

Tested it with Silk Touch or Fortune/Pump/Speed and it doesn't pick up the Oreberry Bushes. If I change one of them with a World Hole Module, they get picked up.
Ender Quarry code is probably "replace all solid blocks with dirt", and bushes just don't qualify. Or it's meant to replace non-plants only, and bushes are a plant.
I don't know about the upgrades, best bet is to remove the pump upgrade. You can always manually suck it up with some sponges from whatever mod you want, or use a pump.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Time to ask one of the hardest questions ever... WHY DOESN'T THIS WORK! http://pastebin.com/n8sakDMX
It doesn't "pulse" the redstone, and wait for 5 seconds. It just keeps it activated.
It will also mix the top and bottom outputs, and I haven't even got it past that point yet, as I terminate it before it does something crazy...

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
cc keeps the redstone in the state it last was in thus if you say the redstone needs to be activated it will stay activated until you tell it to turn it off using redstone.setOutput("bottom", false)

your code can also be made a lot simpler using loops but that is not the point :p

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
cc keeps the redstone in the state it last was in thus if you say the redstone needs to be activated it will stay activated until you tell it to turn it off using redstone.setOutput("bottom", false)

your code can also be made a lot simpler using loops but that is not the point :p
The longwinded version was to test it works...
Oh my copy paste skills are CRAP :p

Ch4oz

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, I have a few questions about ore processing in the Monster Pack 1.1.2

I started with Thermal Expansion but there are no upgrades in this pack for the machines. IC2 has upgrades but I'm a little scarred about finding the right powersource. solarpanels are great but expensive as ****
and the only time I tried to build a nuclear reactor it failed horribly :/
Is there another good way of ore processing besides thermal and ic2?
I know that rotarycraft has some ore processing too but from what I know its way more expensive and slower right?

I hope you can give me some advice :)

Greets Ch4oz

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

I started with Thermal Expansion but there are no upgrades in this pack for the machines. IC2 has upgrades but I'm a little scarred about finding the right powersource. solarpanels are great but expensive as ****
I know that rotarycraft has some ore processing too but from what I know its way more expensive and slower right?

Greets Ch4oz

TE has no machine upgrades because those are in the MC 1.7.10 version, while Monster is MC 1.6.4 and no longer supported.

Rotarycraft ore processing is the fastest out there if you know what you're doing, so not sure where you got your information from.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014

Greets Ch4oz
First things first this is a fairly old pack now, and I'm working on memory on how it was.

One (just over) ore doubling method that is often overlooked is thaumcraft's. You can purfy ore into ore clusters via a thaumatorium, then smelt those in a infernal furnace. You should be able to use the nuggets from the furnace for mettalum, which means you'll just need a source of ordo. Personally I like Beeswax here, but you can also use chiseled stone bricks or smooth sandstone.

Rotarycraft has two ways of ore processing. One is very early game too by rotarycraft standards. You can do it with a simple Gasoline engine > Grinder. The fermentors to get the fuel can run on DC engines, and are temperature dependant. They have an ideal temperature to work at their fastest speeds. This will triple ore. The Extractor is more complex to run efficently, but will on average quintuple ore, and will give some byproducts.

As for it being slow..... I don't know what to say, Rotarycraft ore processing can be Extremely fast, and the machines are generally speaking, very easy to overclock, just run them at a higher speed, while keeping their mininum requirements met. There are a few exceptions, like the friction heater for instance, but that's the rule of thumb. Extra Torque over any minimum req is usually wasteful. (In more recent versions of 1.7 Rotarycraft, it can even do multiple operations in a tick if you overclock it fast enough, due to my own indirect suggestion, but I've gone on a tangent here.)

There are many other ways you can do it too on monster, EnderIO also has ore doubling, which is most similar to TE's. I don't recall if it's machines are upgradable in monster though.

Ch4oz

Jul 29, 2019
okay, thank you for your advice, the information about rotarycraft was from a friend of mine but it sounds cool. I think I will be going with rotarycraft then.
:)

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
Ender Quarry code is probably "replace all solid blocks with dirt", and bushes just don't qualify. Or it's meant to replace non-plants only, and bushes are a plant.
I don't know about the upgrades, best bet is to remove the pump upgrade. You can always manually suck it up with some sponges from whatever mod you want, or use a pump.

Thanks for the help but I found out and I'm sorry to say this, that the Pump Module is complete rubbish. Have Speed/World Hole/Pump attached to the Quarry and it's failing to pick up liquid source blocks. So I'll have to see if there are any other pumps I can place near the Quarry to pump out all liquids found. Hope that they can fix all the problems with the Ender Quarry in the future.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Me again. Anyone have any idea why this frame won't move forward? http://imgur.com/a/cuMsX
I can move it back (left on the first picture), and move forward to where it is now. BUT it needs to move forward one more block... and I can't for the life of me see any reason why it can't move forward, even though nothing changed from being 1 block back