YUNoMakeGoodMap

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
OK, so I managed to create a custom structure file for my spawn platform, even if it is putting me in the corner and not the middle. Now what should a json describing it look like and where should I put it? Is there a format for adding a line in the config where I specify to use it?

Flabort

Jul 29, 2019
To make the spawn in the center of the structure, you need to use the structure block in the center of your structure, and set the size manually instead of using structure corners.
As for JSON, no clue. I gave up and used one of the preset islands.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
No luck, it is still putting Baby in the corner.
16177894_10210121599469832_3483075605874210188_o.jpg

It looks like any structure file you put in the structures folder will show up as a choice in the customize menu without having to list them in the config, so I assume the config is talking about setting a default if you don't customize, but I haven't tested yet. EDIT: It does set the default spawn platform.
16177858_10210121602589910_8423153622067540088_o.jpg

Last edited:

Flabort

Jul 29, 2019
Then... I guess spawn is controlled by the JSON. I'll look it up, and edit my findings into this post.

Edit: Have done so.

LINK This file contains the first reference to JSON that I could find, it's likely in here.
It seems the JSON file needs to be in the same folder with your NBT file, with the same name except for extension (So for map.nbt, use map.json).

So looking further, I finally found LINK. ...and the JSON does not control the spawn on the island. But that should show you what you need in the JSON for a description and logo. Put the JSON and PNG in the same folder as the NBT file.

Ah, but hovering over the commit that added the ability to use NBT structure files as platforms gives the solution. As part of your structure, place a "data structure block" with the value "SPAWN_POINT".

Last edited:

Flabort

Jul 29, 2019
You named the JSON thistlecraft.json, right? not thistlecraft.json.txt by accident? This is an issue that tends to happen a lot in windows computers newer that Windows XP. Irritates me to no end, not being able to rename file extensions on a whim.

There are four example spawn islands, I only linked the JSON for one. Here are the other three:
COBBLE_GEN
SINGLE_GRASS
TREE

So here's what I assume the contents of your JSON file should look like.
{
"name": "ThistleCraft",
"logo": "ThistleCraft.png",
"description": [
"Start on a wide, fenced in brick platform",
"There are lights and decorations already available, and dirt in the corners.",
"This platform was designed by MacAisling"
]
}​

Keep in mind that JSON is very finicky when it comes to commas, and the description is an Array so each line needs to be separated by a comma.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
They also seem rediculously finicky about spaces and line breaks, which I thought The Machine didn't care about but are typically present to assist lowly human eyes in debugging code. Is it running some kind of vertical syntax check, looking for all those brackets to line up in their own columns?

Anyhow, I suspect a hard character limit per line of description. I'll see if dividing my sentence in 2 will help. I'm on a Mac, so changing the extension still changes the extension, though it does ask me if I really want to do that.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
@Flabort Even copy/paste your example isn't working. I had the thought that, since it looks for a structures folder for additional nbt files, maybe it was looking for a single structures.json to describe them all. I couldn't get that to work, either.

Is it time to proclaim it broken and bother the devs on GitHub?

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
LexManos says it works, so I'm definitely the one who is missing something. I dug through the jar where the examples live and did find a file labelled SkyBlockPlatforms.txt, but that didn't help either. I'd try putting my files in the jar file, but I don't know how to turn the folder back into a jar file without breaking it and crashing the game. At least the structure itself shows up and can be set to default. Perhaps it is time for me to give up on the description & graphic.

Last edited:

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
As a final test to see if I was really going mad or not, I copied the entire contents of the structure folder inside the mod jar into the structure folder in the configs. Sure enough, that descriptive json only works if it is inside the jar.
16194870_10210148561983878_5368263260242457547_n.jpg

Flabort

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, doesn't sound like intended behavior. Did you submit this to the YUNoMakeGoodMap github? If you did, I'm sure they'll get right on fixing this, and in an upcoming version it will likely work.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Hmm, doesn't sound like intended behavior. Did you submit this to the YUNoMakeGoodMap github? If you did, I'm sure they'll get right on fixing this, and in an upcoming version it will likely work.

LexManos said his examples were working just fine and closed the issue. For now I'll just include all the necessary parts and hope someone with more clout convinces him to actually look at the player added side of things at some point. I think he is one of the busier devs with several bigger and more important mods to deal with.