Your thoughts on mob mods/tougher mobs?

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Lycanites mobs has too many mobs that feel unfinished. It also replaces most if not all spawners in the overworld to spawn its hell mobs. The nether basically becomes inaccessible as it has hostile nether mobs that spawn, as nether mobs do, in high light levels and are fast and swarm the portal.

Infernal mobs is volatile and can seriously stuff up your early game. A number of the ability combos render mobs all but impossible to kill with the ability to make you drop the weapon you used (even ranged) reflect damage back to you and increased healing and base health. If an unkillable zombie picks up your high end melee weapon...
Build some kind of grinder and the gear dropped is too lucrative.

Special mobs is ... perhaps the most interesting in the varieties of vanilla mobs it spawns. So your basic loot ratio remains the same.

Grimoire of Gaia is bloody beautiful and adds one or two mobs to each biome which are very tough fights. Its yet to be updated past 1.6.4 the aurhor really needs to oss it so coders can update it for minecraft releases while they concentrate on their studies.

Zombie awareness... causes lag supposedly and destroying torches and trampling cropland seems a bit like griefing.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Lycanites mobs has too many mobs that feel unfinished. It also replaces most if not all spawners in the overworld to spawn its hell mobs. The nether basically becomes inaccessible as it has hostile nether mobs that spawn, as nether mobs do, in high light levels and are fast and swarm the portal.
Agreed. I liked the earlier versions of LM (with some stuff disabled). But later versions just forced me to uninstall it (especially the spawner issue, made doing overworld dungeons near impossible).

Infernal mobs is volatile and can seriously stuff up your early game. A number of the ability combos render mobs all but impossible to kill with the ability to make you drop the weapon you used (even ranged) reflect damage back to you and increased healing and base health. If an unkillable zombie picks up your high end melee weapon...
Agreed. I use the mod, but disable some of the effects and really reduce the chance of one spawning. Got too fed up spending almost an entire MC day killing zombies, just for night to fall for the next set of horrors.

Special mobs is ... perhaps the most interesting in the varieties of vanilla mobs it spawns. So your basic loot ratio remains the same.
Yep. Shame I can never get it to work successfully with zombie awareness.

Zombie awareness... causes lag supposedly and destroying torches and trampling cropland seems a bit like griefing.
[/quote]
Some misinformation in this comment. Never encountered it causing lag for me (even with the occasional 200-500 zombies camping my base occasionally due to server weirdness). ZA does not cause griefing to cropland or torches. That's FatherToasts SpecialAI. Zombies in ZA are attracted to light.

There's also primitive mobs which I feel is the best. It's not massive, everything feels "minecrafty", and the worse mob for installing terror to the player is the Festive Creeper. It throws lit TNT. Luckily it's really rare, and configurable for players who hate it.

What I commonly find is that players want more mobs/challenges, but do not adjust their vanilla gameplay to match these new threats, then moan about things being OP/difficult.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019

Too many hellish mobs in the overworld when I reviewed it.

On a prior server we had a team that just farmed zombies and using a deconstructor and disenchanter had diamond max enchanted everything... They also ended up summoning monsters that were effectively unkillable and we had to nerf some of the bonuses.

This one had a laggy AI, get the new beta. It's a great mod that introduced a bunch of new creatures and behaviors.

Grimoire of Gaia is bloody beautiful and adds one or two mobs to each biome which are very tough fights. Its yet to be updated past 1.6.4 the aurhor really needs to oss it so coders can update it for minecraft releases while they concentrate on their studies.

This one I will have to check out!

Turning off smell cured lag issues for me. Also the tramping fields and destroying torches is an AI option in Special Mobs, not ZA. ZA has much better pathing and climbing behaviors. Imagine my surprise the first time things started climbing ladders after me.

ZA + SM form the core of the extra difficulty for the mobs on our hard server. The other item is because we run Cauldron I can tune the spawning, and we have fast spawn rates (2/sec) and a large number of mob slots (200+) so that mobs spawn in hordes to chase you down. I also run a cron job to execute '/cofh killall' to remove all hostile mobs hourly. This means no slots are wasted on mobs in caves or where they cannot chase players.

With the range on ZA bumped to 64, the jumping creepers and throwing zombies, climbing mobs, aggressive griefing, and being vastly outnumbered it makes for a lovely play experience.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Try Special AI. It adds several new AI patterns, such as mobs mining random blocks when bored (what blocks can be specified in config). It's made by FatherToast (AKA docrobb), the modder that made Special Mobs. http://www.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/224301-special-ai

Hi! I am me! Sent from Tapa something...

That's the AI mod I said was beta. I guess it's official now!

Mining random blocks isn't it. If the monster has no player in sight to attack it will seek blocks on the list to find and break. My list is long, BnB is even longer...

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
All I have ever wanted from a mob mod is a zoo. I think it would be a fun project with Mocreatures and maybe a few others. But the problem with that is that the mobs are spammed all over the place, lags the game and just isnt feasible. I think it should be possible to disable all Mocreatures from spawning and give them craftable spawn eggs, then my zoo idea might come to reality. Im going to try to make it happen now since I am putting together a new pack for myself. I remember seeing a craftable spawn egg mod around somewhere...

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
All I have ever wanted from a mob mod is a zoo. I think it would be a fun project with Mocreatures and maybe a few others. But the problem with that is that the mobs are spammed all over the place, lags the game and just isnt feasible. I think it should be possible to disable all Mocreatures from spawning and give them craftable spawn eggs, then my zoo idea might come to reality. Im going to try to make it happen now since I am putting together a new pack for myself. I remember seeing a craftable spawn egg mod around somewhere...

As much as I think Mo'Creatures is awesome, the author refuses to allow it to be added to packs. Otherwise the variety it added was wonderful! I don't expect to ever see it in a FTB pack as a result.

abe_gaming

Jul 29, 2019
late reply here. I'm in the same situation as you looking for the best mob survival mod out there and I believe I have the found the answer. It's the "No Shelter" Mod and "Zombie Awareness" Mod. These two mods adds the perfect zombie survival of the fittest in the game. Its so fun and hard that it is quit impossible to survive even a day 1. These zombie can break through blocks slowly giving you time to find an exit or repair your fortress with blocks. Creepers can blow the whole wall up if you don't kill before they get to you. If you are hiding up on the tower, the zombies can stack dirt blocks to get to you or the skeleton archers can shoot you down with explosive arrows. Think the mobs are too slow to get you? The spiders can sprint and catch up to you. Thinking you are invincible? Enderman. How do you survive with these two mods? Strategy. You can check out the link below to see the "No Shelter" mod. Its basically like Call of Duty Nazi Zombie at night but day time , you need to gather resources and build your fort to survive. Very fun if you have friend helping you out. Playing single player is really scary. Im not joking. There is no where to hide.

http://www.curse.com/mc-mods/Minecraft/232771-noshelter

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
Primitive Mobs; Fear without the enemies being tanks (unlike Lycanites Mobs).
Lava Monsters; Makes Lava and getting Diamonds a little more annoying.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
There's various ways to abuse the system. I'm looking at both Ender Zoo and SquidUtils for their ability to modify various basic values/spawning conditions. I hear Special AI adds some interesting behaviors, but I haven't looked at that yet (as I'd like to set dog behaviors onto certain mobs of my choice.)

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Ender Zoo mobs can be turned off by disabling them completely--it's the special configuration system that allows you to modify ANY entity in the game that I suggest it. Paired with SquidUtils for spawning conditions, and you can do some interesting things...

Currently I'm pondering a world structure based around Dark Menagerie's Cultist of the Dark Lupus and their worship of a big, mutated killer bunny...

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: ICountFrom0

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I've done a few things with my little test pack to try to get as much mob variety and difficulty as possible.

Half of this was adding additional worlds with custom foes. I'll skip commenting on them right now.

1. Floating Islands: Not really a mob mod, but it adds floating islands that have spawners that are VASTLY more insane to tackle then any other. They can be encased in obsidian so you have to be able to break that before you can get to the spawner. It spawns mobs in sets and rotating order. Poison spiders to bite you and swarm out at you, followed up with witches that will go right to using harming potions because you are poisoned. Silverfish, creepers and spiders from the same spawner. If the island moves LAVA it gets even worse, the rotations can include wither skeletons (with the skulls removed from the drop list) blazes (with blaze rods not in the rotation) and magma cubes. Oh, and the creepers... are always super creepers, but with full health. If you are good with CFG files, you can add any combination you like (picture one that spawns killer rabbits).

2. Special Mobs: You might want to turn on the setting that enables "vanilla" versions for better mod interaction if you are going to have more then one monster adding mod. In addition to it adding a wonderful assortment of variations on monsters, it also modifies monster HP and damage based on difficulty setting. If you are good with CFG files, you can modify these VERY far.

3. Ender Zoo: Of the ones that I enjoyed and added, this one rates lowest. I don't mind the enderminies. I rather enjoy the undead knights and the AI modification that lets them art smartly at ranged and draw a sword when you get close. It's the withercats. Witches are rough enough, but the mutated, enraged, speed boosted CATS have killed me more then anything else, EVER.

4. Lava Monsters: When you get down deep, the lava makes so much light that you stop worrying about monsters. This takes away that bit of safety. It is WONDERFUL.

I suspect that zombie awareness is trying to detect default zombies, something that special mobs remove from the game unless you edit a CFG setting. Otherwise the zombies you see only look like vanilla ones. Might also be needed in SpecialAI.

I'd love a mob modification mob that used the vanilla "danger level" that increases by itself the further you are from spawn and the longer you've had those chunks loaded. Vanilla uses it to give a higher chance of armored and enchanted foes. If any of the mob mods would check that setting and shift things accordingly, that would be amazing.

As an honorable mention... if you include extra utilities and make the deep dark accessible, please PLEASE include the void monster.
I agree with all the above.

I'm also using Floating Islands, great look to the landscape. Ender Zoo is also an iffy mod. I also disable the Wither Cats. Poor hit box, hit like a truck, fast, and noisy (drives my dog nuts). Lava Monsters is a good old classic. Simple, and actually feels like it's part of original Minecraft.

I'm also using Zombie Awareness and Special Mobs together (finally, always caused me issues in the past), really makes things more "interesting".

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I used to play with Zombie Awareness, EnderZoo, and Mekanism so that most of the zombies had uber armor... it really wasn't that much of a challenge, because nothing dynamically really changed. It was just more stats. The cats are a little scary, sure, but they also only have the same hit points as spiders, so you can deal with them easily. I'm more afraid of the witches than the cats, honestly.

ZA I removed because 1) server lag, 2) it wasn't obeying anti-spawning rules, such as with magnum torches, and 3) it just... didn't really contribute to the danger level.

You're going to have to go outside the box to get challenging but not punishing mobs in Minecraft, due to how primitive the combat system is. Hopefully, 1.9 will fix that. I can't wait to see what TiCo can do with off-hand weapons and shields.