Your Favorite Computer Craft Program Ever

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
not that hard, you need to write a program that labels the computer, or if it already has a label, changes it to a random string of numbers and/or letters, disables the ctrl + t functionality, and runs on startup. can't reboot, can't format through disk, can't access via rednet because you don't know the ID, useless, toss it into lava lol

CodzMyLife

Jul 29, 2019
not that hard, you need to write a program that labels the computer, or if it already has a label, changes it to a random string of numbers and/or letters, disables the ctrl + t functionality, and runs on startup. can't reboot, can't format through disk, can't access via rednet because you don't know the ID, useless, toss it into lava lol
Basically what mine does but for a script kiddie like me it took a while, but I'm proud of it :)

ahwtx

Jul 29, 2019
http://pastebin.com/KBJ1wDz0

Sphere and dome builder. I didn't write it, but I use it extensively for my bases. But I also admit to being a huge fan of http://www.monolithic.com/ ;)
dunno if you are aware, but there's an even better program called shape builder. it incorporates the functionality of sphere and dome builder and adds additional shapes. i believe several folks (including the original author of sphere and dome builder) are now collaborating and intend to work on making shape builder more complete.

http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/11520-the-versatile-shape-builder-updatedactive/

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
I tried using the Shape Builder, but found it a bit buggy. It didn't built the walls correctly based on the side it was facing, i read the thread, it appears it has been fixed in a later version, have you experienced any problems with the program in the latest version?

Also... When the turtle runs out of materials for the construction, it justs sits perfectly still exactly where it stopped building... Depending on what you told it to build, getting up there to give it more mats can be a pain :( also, no resume sucks... Although it does check if there are already blocks of the correct type placed in the proper positions, so starting the turtle again at the same position to start building again will result in it attempting to move through every one of the positions trying to place blocks until it comes back to where it stopped ;S fuel consumption is a bitch, though...

Tried to build a radius 32 sphere, oh man, so much glass needed.

ahwtx

Jul 29, 2019
@brujon:

i haven't yet used the latest version of it. i was gonna take a look tonight after work.

i know one of the major things being worked on is resume. another quirk i've run into is that if you're building something pretty massive and during the course of construction the turtle picks up some junk (let's say dirt for example), it will place that junk as part of the structure. i'm sure that'll be fixed as well. the program has come a long way in a short time.

i think i'm gonna use it make some kinda crazy space-station-looking massive sky base with tons of spheres and domes. that is, once more of the bugs have been ironed out. gotta stock up on stacks and stacks of hardened glass first. :D

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
excavate 30 on a mining chunkloader turtle.

Take a lot at the Advanced Ore Quarry program mentioned here. It's Excavate on crack. Turtle digs all the way to bedrock, then starts moving up, mining every 3 levels checking top and bottom, comparing against the first 4 slots of it's inventory to see if they are noise blocks or not. if they are, it doesn't mine it, if they're not, it mines it. Want it to actually dig the big ol' hole in the ground? No problem, give it glass or any other player-made only block as a noise block, and it will dig the hole of the size you specify it to. And deposit everything in the chest, which is very nice. Refueling is also taken care of, in a chest placed on the left of the starting position of the turtle, and it will automatically refuel from that chest when it needs to. It runs 3x faster than the excavate program, on average, because it uses much less moves, and for the same reason, it's much more fuel efficient. 8x8 hole doesn't even take a full stack of charcoal. It doesn't misses ANY ores, and, what's more, give it a chest, and if it sees any chests in the way, it will take the items from the chest, then mine it.

One of the best turtle mining programs floating there. I wanted to give MLG Branch Mining a try, but i never bothered to set up the required infrastructure, though i have to admit the screenshots and videos look REALLY awesome. The OreFinder program is an interesting one, though i didn't compare the efficiency against the OreQuarry, but it functions digging straight down, coming up checking every side for noise blocks, mining everything else, and then moving like a Knight in a Chess game, covers all ores in a given specified area without actually digging everything up. It's extremely efficient in the sense that it mines a minimal amount of cobble and dirt compared to the ores it gets, but don't know about fuel and time efficiency.

The one i'm REALLY interested in, is one that's still in development, and it's the Swarm miner. THAT looks like it will end up being the one that will get mining turtles nerfed. Master Turtle + GPS, controlling however many "module" turtles you give it, that all work in tandem to clear out an specified target area. Since it's using GPS, this can be anywhere up to 384 blocks in radius around the GPS cluster(If it's placed at max height). I don't know if there will be a limit as to how many you will be able to have operating at once, but oh boy, just imagining a swarm of 100 turtles mining out an absolutely INSANE amount of resources is pretty awesome. And what more would you do to craft the turtles, other than creating a program for crafting turtles, that craft turtles for you, and integrates them into the Master Turtle/GPS system? Turtleception.

Have to chunk load the whole area you want to mine, though. Else there might be problems. Program isn't running perfectly yet, issues with turtles mining one another, but i'll use it even if it ends up being less efficient just for the coolness factor of having a turtle army. I like it.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
how about no? is like choosing to power a quarry or having 10 quarrys mine only cobble at no cost 10% off deal get it for free in the next few minutes... thanks, but I'm ok with my good ol' excavate.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
What? I didn't even understand your post. The OreQuarry program is simply better than the Excavate program, simply because you get to choose whether it ignore blocks or not, plus, it's three times as fuel efficient and a little bit less than 3 times as fast. There's absolutely no reason at ALL to use the excavate program ever again.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
because I use turtles as stupid dudes that do the mining for me, not play the game for me, its too easy to just go there and choose not to mine diamonds. I like automation, but not that stuff.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to do it the less efficient way, sure, go ahead. I normally use it to mine everything, and i just give it dirt & stone as noise blocks. I don't tell it to ignore diamonds or redstone so i can mine it with a fortune pick later, i just make more turtles and set them to mine more, because i end up using ender chests, large quarries and multiple turtles, so i can set it and forget it. Wouldn't be a bad idea to add Emeralds as noise blocks, however, since they're pretty rare. I might have to start doing that in some of the quarries, but remove stone & dirt as noise blocks so i can easily spot the emeralds.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
dunno if you are aware, but there's an even better program called shape builder. it incorporates the functionality of sphere and dome builder and adds additional shapes. i believe several folks (including the original author of sphere and dome builder) are now collaborating and intend to work on making shape builder more complete.

http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/11520-the-versatile-shape-builder-updatedactive/
Yeah, I'd see that thread. It's very cool also, but domes are all I need ^_^ Best building structure known to man (or Steve). :)

ahwtx

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I'd see that thread. It's very cool also, but domes are all I need ^_^ Best building structure known to man (or Steve). :)
even if you're just building domes, you might still want to look into switching over. shape builder is going to be updated and improved (bug fixes), whereas sphere and dome builder is being abandoned as far as i can tell.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Keridos's Shape builder (now has its own thread, though it was just started) offers one big improvement over the other programs it's composed of: support for resupply stations. No need to fly up to your turtle and awkwardly refill its inventory, just plop stuff in the resupply station.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, now i have to try this out. Very neat. Now, to quarry an entire desert to get Sand for a 32 radius glass dome, and then find another desert to build the giant greenhouse into >:D

Or make the Deathstar. I have not decided yet. Deathstar would look awesome in dark grey rockwool. Or just plain dark grey wool (fire hazard is a problem though).