Yet another n00b question about versions

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
T

ThorKevo

Is there a way to point to separate mod folders for different versions? Right now I'm moving out mods & moving in mods any time I change versions in the launcher.

Thanks!

Kev0

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
If you use the twitch launcher, it installs each mod pack in its own unique folder. Easy to access, easy to add. Outside of that... not real sure what you're asking

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I use MultiMC to manage my modpacks for play. It will allow you to have each instance in it's own folder, which is especially helpful if you have custom packs with different world gen or config changes.

I begrudgingly use the Twitch launcher for creating packs - it's full of bloat, but it gets the job done most of the time. The access to the mod repository is its biggest boon, and that's the only reason I keep it around. I've moved away from it as a primary launcher due to (in order of importance to me) personal reasons, CPU resources used to run it, it overwriting my Java arguments, and overall shitty customer service. Not to say everyone will have my experience, of course.

Reactions: Psychicash

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Are you talking about going from say direwolf20 1.7 to direwolf20 1.12? Or are you talking about switching versions of the pic within the same tier? Like 1.0 to 1.1?

T

ThorKevo

Sometimes I like the newest stuff in 1.12.2 and sometimes I want to play Thaumcraft at 1.7.10. Since both use the mods folder, I have to keep folders for 12.2 and 7.10 and swap full contents each time I get a wild hair. I can't find anywhere in the launcher (at least the one I use) that I can set different mods folders for different versions so I don't have to do the copies.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Sometimes I like the newest stuff in 1.12.2 and sometimes I want to play Thaumcraft at 1.7.10. Since both use the mods folder, I have to keep folders for 12.2 and 7.10 and swap full contents each time I get a wild hair. I can't find anywhere in the launcher (at least the one I use) that I can set different mods folders for different versions so I don't have to do the copies.
in the vanilla launcher you should be able to create separate profiles that use different folders.
MultiMC is all about being able to do this.
the legacy FTB launcher has seperate instances for each pack. Just select the pack you want to play, click play and done.
the twitch launcher should work pretty much the same as the legacy ftb one.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Thaumcraft is here, beta 1.10.2 is out.

Reactions: ICountFrom0

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
I begrudgingly use the Twitch launcher for creating packs - it's full of bloat, but it gets the job done most of the time. The access to the mod repository is its biggest boon, and that's the only reason I keep it around. I've moved away from it as a primary launcher due to (in order of importance to me) personal reasons, CPU resources used to run it, it overwriting my Java arguments, and overall shitty customer service. Not to say everyone will have my experience, of course.
I want to get this off my chest, people that whine about Twitch are uninformed about it.
Twitch is a streaming service, that is its primary function. You can't except the same level of speed and efficientness as Curse or Steam.

Ommina

Aug 14, 2014
I want to get this off my chest, people that whine about Twitch are uninformed about it.
Twitch is a streaming service, that is its primary function. You can't except the same level of speed and efficientness as Curse or Steam.

I'm not sure what there is to be uninformed about here. When Twitch put out a launcher, Twitch became a service with a launcher. If they put out a product that they are unable to support properly because it is not part of their 'primary function', then complaints about customer service seem pretty reasonable.

They don't get to release a product then wash their hands of supporting it because "well, we're really a streaming service".

Apologies OP. This is horribly off topic.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I am fully aware that Twitch is a streaming service at their core. That said, they purchased and integrated Curse. Curse was already a bloat filled mess before they bought it, and the service provided has gone down hill since that point.

If there was a Minecraft only access point which allowed me to access the mod repository, manage my packs, and launch my game, I would use it. But ignoring the fact that the Twitch launcher has many faults due to the fact that they're trying to sell me things I don't want isn't a good enough argument for me.

As I said in the post you quoted, the biggest reason I don't use it is personal reasons. It should be their shitty customer service, honestly, but my reasons are my own. Their product is flawed, and I'm actually ok with that. The fact that they aren't interested in making it better, or even responding to legitimate concerns from their users is where I draw the line.

T

ThorKevo

Thaumcraft is here, beta 1.10.2 is out.
Yes, and I'm severely bummin', I don't use all that many mods, but TC 1.10 crashes out after a couple of minutes. I haven't taken the time to remove all other mods and see how far I can go with it though. Maybe clashing with something common (Journeymap, Biomes O'Plenty, Iron Chests, Inventory Tweaks, Storage Drawers, Enchant Plus, Biblio & Bookshelf and vanilla transporters)

Thoughts?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
It's being ported to 1.12 as quickly as is feasible. Azanor's got college stuff to worry about, and that drains a lot of time. I assume he's going to get support from other authors. I know McJty has offered help, but there's only so much that can be done by anyone not him.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, and I'm severely bummin', I don't use all that many mods, but TC 1.10 crashes out after a couple of minutes. I haven't taken the time to remove all other mods and see how far I can go with it though. Maybe clashing with something common (Journeymap, Biomes O'Plenty, Iron Chests, Inventory Tweaks, Storage Drawers, Enchant Plus, Biblio & Bookshelf and vanilla transporters)

Thoughts?
It's beta. Report all issues to the GitHub so they can be fixed when able. Can't solve a problem you don't know about. You might find a workaround if the bug has been reported before, or at least any known conflicts you can avoid. Otherwise, be patient for now, and hope for an update.

Beta testing is a cruel but needed process, and I applaud all the unknown people who help make my experience better by way of their frustration.