xycraft

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Redpower is a dead mod. Even IF and I do mean IF it were to come back, there are so many mods already here that do around 90% of what RP2 could do (I think the only one missing is a workable Forth system but I'm not 100% on that). In my eyes RP2 doesn't really have a place in current minecraft unless it has undergone some MASSIVE re-coding. As for Xycraft, well.... I'm sure it will come out eventually, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it. At least I suppose Xycraft does have one thing going for it, Soaryn is actually speaking to people, streaming and all-in-all being active, the same cannot be said of Eloraam.

100% agreed. Soaryn is still very much a part of the community, whereas Elo simply isn't.

Everyone always says "RP2 is the most professional mod, like ever." But I always found it loosely followed Minecraft pre-established rules in an almost fourth wall breaking way. And anyone who ever played around with it in creative would know it was peculiarly written. I don't know what the actual code looked like, but I feel if it did come back it'd have to in the form of a re-write.

so is it just the new mechanical stuff holding back the release?
if so why doesnt he just split the mod in to the xycraft stuff we know and love and the need stuff get released when its done.

Maybe he doesn't want to give people an incomplete mod again. You appreciate things more in full. You wouldn't watch a Leone movie in half hour sittings, despite their episodic nature, that would likely diminish the whole experience. Why do you think box-sets and things like Netflix are so successful? You appreciate things more in full. I don't know if you've ever watched Arrested Development, but the show's fourth season took advantage of the fact they knew people were going to binge watch it. The end result was something that was moderately enjoyable in small doses, but if you watched it all in one sitting (like I unashamedly did) you appreciate all of the little things (like running jokes) a lot more.

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
100% agreed. Soaryn is still very much a part of the community, whereas Elo simply isn't.

Everyone always says "RP2 is the most professional mod, like ever." But I always found it loosely followed Minecraft pre-established rules in an almost fourth wall breaking way. And anyone who ever played around with it in creative would know it was peculiarly written. I don't know what the actual code looked like, but I feel if it did come back it'd have to in the form of a re-write.

Maybe he doesn't want to give people an incomplete mod again. You appreciate things more in full. You wouldn't watch a Leone movie in half hour sittings, despite their episodic nature, that would likely diminish the whole experience. Why do you think box-sets and things like Netflix are so successful? You appreciate things more in full. I don't know if you've ever watched Arrested Development, but the show's fourth season took advantage of the fact they knew people were going to binge watch it. The end result was something that was moderately enjoyable in small doses, but if you watched it all in one sitting (like I unashamedly did) you appreciate all of the little things (like running jokes) a lot more.

i dont think anyone would see it as an incomplete mod i think they would see it like TC and natura, at least i would
two diffrent mods by the same people/team that bring different things to the world.
xycraft world for blocks that we saw in the 1.4 packs (just for looks really)
and
xycraft mechanics for the mechanical parts of the mod that do stuff.
it wouldnt be like you made out where its little broken/wip stuff it would be like two movies that bring different stuff to the table but, in the end make a whole

tl:dr
I WANT MY
XYCHORIDITE BRICKS BACK

Last edited:
Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Xycraft is coming, teasers keep being put here and there. I suspect one reason we don't have just the worldgen is the long running "useless xycraft stuff" thingy that almost everyone was saying in 1.4.7, I didn't mind it since it made mining an lovely technicolor experience but in general it was pretty damn useless.
When we got useful machines from the mod the version changed and a rewrite was required but meh I can wait it's not like Xycraft had the status of RP2 and by that I mean had entire builds based around a capability of only that mod. I am sure that once Xycraft gets here it will be good, I personally don't like Soaryn's aesthetics they are a bit "busy" for me but the base ideas of the mod are very sound so I'll probably use it and ignore the looks lol

Yosomith

Jul 29, 2019
Xycraft is coming, teasers keep being put here and there. I suspect one reason we don't have just the worldgen is the long running "useless xycraft stuff" thingy that almost everyone was saying in 1.4.7, I didn't mind it since it made mining an lovely technicolor experience but in general it was pretty damn useless.
When we got useful machines from the mod the version changed and a rewrite was required but meh I can wait it's not like Xycraft had the status of RP2 and by that I mean had entire builds based around a capability of only that mod. I am sure that once Xycraft gets here it will be good, I personally don't like Soaryn's aesthetics they are a bit "busy" for me but the base ideas of the mod are very sound so I'll probably use it and ignore the looks lol
The one, and only one reason, why we don't have world gen at the moment is retroactive world gen. If nobody ever thought of this we may have actually had a Xycraft already for 1.6.4 (and possibly 1.5.2). But then we'd have to load in new chunks or new worlds every time a new mod add in some world gen.

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
That's unnecessarily harsh, and so unlikely.

Unnecessary is highly subjective. Finish and release, or stop teasing... it's teased through nearly 6 releases, and as far as I know it's going to join the ranks of minecolony, Ziades' steamworks, and cogs of the machine... fantastic ideas, proof of concept out there, and then so caught up in 'making it perfect' that it's never released again.

Based on what I have seen, feature creep is totally rampant. Enough so that I think he should concentrate on 'good enough' instead of 'perfect'. As a professional indy game developer, I can say without fear of contradiction that 'good enough' is the closest you are ever going to get to perfect. Drop the feature creep, chop the mod into useable parts, publish a core for when you release the 'finished' creep stuff, and let people play with it.

Sometimes it bugs me how some modders stuff two or more completely unassociated things in the same mod instead of breaking it up... like redstone control in minefactory, for example... if you have one part of something unfinished, even if it's creation methodology is similar to the rest, break it up and put common factors in a core mod... let people play with the stuff that works while you still hammer on the stuff that doesn't.

I know it still bears the stigma of a useless mod, but what's tested and works at least LOOKS cool, and he has a lot more working code now than back in 1.4.7

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Unnecessary is highly subjective. Finish and release, or stop teasing... it's teased through nearly 6 releases, and as far as I know it's going to join the ranks of minecolony, Ziades' steamworks, and cogs of the machine... fantastic ideas, proof of concept out there, and then so caught up in 'making it perfect' that it's never released again.

Based on what I have seen, feature creep is totally rampant. Enough so that I think he should concentrate on 'good enough' instead of 'perfect'. As a professional indy game developer, I can say without fear of contradiction that 'good enough' is the closest you are ever going to get to perfect. Drop the feature creep, chop the mod into useable parts, publish a core for when you release the 'finished' creep stuff, and let people play with it.

Sometimes it bugs me how some modders stuff two or more completely unassociated things in the same mod instead of breaking it up... like redstone control in minefactory, for example... if you have one part of something unfinished, even if it's creation methodology is similar to the rest, break it up and put common factors in a core mod... let people play with the stuff that works while you still hammer on the stuff that doesn't.

I know it still bears the stigma of a useless mod, but what's tested and works at least LOOKS cool, and he has a lot more working code now than back in 1.4.7

Yes, but to say it'll come out after RP2 is just a ridiculous comparison.

Reactions: Adnje4 and Padfoote

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but to say it'll come out after RP2 is just a ridiculous comparison.
I completely disagree, it's utterly apt. Eloraam too was active once. Based on your butthurt, though, I would say you have some sort of skin in the game. How about you come clean and explain exactly what motivates you to so aggressively defend what is starting to look more and more like a dead mod?

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
I completely disagree, it's utterly apt. Eloraam too was active once. Based on your butthurt, though, I would say you have some sort of skin in the game. How about you come clean and explain exactly what motivates you to so aggressively defend what is starting to look more and more like a dead mod?
Perhaps the fact that there's visible work being done? I can go find a dev stream within the last couple weeks showing some progress. Elo on the other hand never showed actual progress update to update and still doesn't. She may very well be on the last line of code for a 1.7 update but nobody ever knew/would know. That's the difference.

Reactions: Padfoote

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019

Perhaps the fact that there's visible work being done? I can go find a dev stream within the last couple weeks showing some progress. Elo on the other hand never showed actual progress update to update and still doesn't. She may very well be on the last line of code for a 1.7 update but nobody ever knew/would know. That's the difference.
^^This.
Why question my motives when they couldn't be more simple? I want to play Xycraft and I'm likly to do that in the near future and maybe I don't want to experience that feeling of great disappointment when Elo left.

"BTW guys Soaryn hasn't posted on twitter for 5 days. OMG I think he's done an Elo. RIP Soaryn. Now lets move on to the next piece of potential vapourware."
Is this the desired reaction?

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't that a given in general? Not just mods, but any program?

So there's never a need to ask. It's ALWAYS going to be "done when it's done".

Congrats, you've just made my signature. :)

In other news:

Protip: inflammatory accusations like calling someone 'butthurt' should never be seen in civilized conversation.
Normally I'd drop a Be Nice and let things carry on, but to be frank no amount of discussion can change a release date, so there's no need to clutter the forum with pointless speculation (especially when people are already starting to get worked up about it). Topic Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.