Xycraft liquid tanks

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
This may be a mechanic that's always existed with tanks but here's a couple lessons I learned the hard way.

1. Pumping out of tank, valve needs to be on bottom face or bottom row (not edge) of tank to get all the stuff out.
2. Destroying a valve destroys the contents of the tank, other blocks are safe. If you have two valves the contents are divided between the two valves (or more than two if you have multiple). Destroying a valve destroys the portion it was holding.

Like I said, this may be true of how all multi-block tanks work and since I'm new, I only found out because I've only done Xy's so far and no iron tanks yet.

Also, if you're digging into a mountain or underground and make your tank the proper size but it doesn't work ... check the corners for sand/gravel/dirt ... I tried building one and it failed but eventually I found a chunk of dirt in a corner piece that I had missed.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
For railcraft iron tanks it's the center most square on the bottom side that holds all of the tank information, so it's different from Xycraft tanks in that way.

As for xycraft, what I'll probably do is make a few xycraft tanks to get started and then change them to iron tanks later since I believe xycraft tanks hold less on the same sized tanks and the 7x7x8 tanks from railcraft are perfectly sized for my purposes.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Xycraft tanks hold 16 buckets per "internal block" (i.e. the air space in the middle). Railcraft holds 16 buckets per block of the tank (including the edges).

This means that a 3x3x3 Xycraft tank holds 16 buckets, while a 3x3x3 Railcraft version holds 432.
A 7x7x7 Xycraft tank holds 2,000, while a 7x7x7 railcraft holds 5,488.

Basically, the difference is reasonable, but gets less significant the larger you go (especially when you get to the stage of "screw it, this tank is now, for all intents and purposes, considered a room").

kheeler

Jul 29, 2019
For compact tanks Railcraft are probably a better option. For huge, huge tanks, Xycraft are the way to go. Xycraft tanks can share contents if there is a valve connecting the two tanks. The tanks will balance their contents.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
For compact tanks Railcraft are probably a better option. For huge, huge tanks, Xycraft are the way to go. Xycraft tanks can share contents if there is a valve connecting the two tanks. The tanks will balance their contents.

RailCraft tanks will utilize additional tanks in a similar manner, although I am not sure if this works vertically only, but I've stacked six tanks on top of each other before to hold all of my hydrogen. I am also not sure if they reach a max. size limit in that way, but I don't think they do.

For RailCraft, what would be really nice would be "high pressure tanks" which hold double the pressure, but require a more expensive valve block which then lower the pressure so it can be used in normal piping solutions.

Reactions: southernfriedbb

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
If you have a full max-sized RC tank of something, then you for all intents and purposes don't need more of it. No non-renewable liquid is needed in such quantities for anything reasonable, and if it's renewable, having that much already means that you're producing more than you use, and nothing really needs THAT massive buffer.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
If you have a full max-sized RC tank of something, then you for all intents and purposes don't need more of it. No non-renewable liquid is needed in such quantities for anything reasonable, and if it's renewable, having that much already means that you're producing more than you use, and nothing really needs THAT massive buffer.

You forget, though, that some of us keep massive tanks of lava, biofuel, molten redstone, molten ender pearls, and the like because it looks awesome having a bunch of massive tanks filled with glowing wonderful dangerous fluids.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
You forget, though, that some of us keep massive tanks of lava, biofuel, molten redstone, molten ender pearls, and the like because it looks awesome having a bunch of massive tanks filled with glowing wonderful dangerous fluids.

+1 on that. and the railcraft tanks let's you show off the sloshy goodness just beautifully.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
+1 on that. and the railcraft tanks let's you show off the sloshy goodness just beautifully.

Indeed. Xycraft tanks look really awesome by themselves, though, so it's win/win/win/lose/win (the only side that loses is anyone that wants to lose, which is why we have that added).

Beleriond01

Jul 29, 2019
I've only just updated my DW20 pack to the newest version (5.2.0 iirc) and wanted to use the XYcraft water blocks, combined with a XYcraft tank to store some water.

Made a 3x3 base with the water block in the middle spot, built it up to 3 high and in the top middle slot I placed a XYcraft valve. I thought I remembered DW20 do this in the SMP series as well.

Strangely enough, however, my water tank remains completely empty. I get the tank GUI but it doesn't fill up with anything, let alone water.

Wondering what I missed...

Beleriond01

Jul 29, 2019
I think you need to place the water block otuside, but next to a valve

Just came to the same conclusion...massive derp on my part...what on earth was I thinking making the water source block part of the base of the tank LOL.

MektonZero

Jul 29, 2019

So do Xycraft tanks; other than the edge blocks of the tank, you can use glass. Even better looking is to use Xycraft Glass Viewer blocks to make your tank walls. Xycraft also gets a few extra style points since the edges can be any solid vanilla block, like nether brick or gold blocks.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
If you have two valves the contents are divided between the two valves (or more than two if you have multiple). Destroying a valve destroys the portion it was holding.

The first part is true, but the second part is not anymore. So long as you take it slow.

You can delete a valve, immediately reset the tank, and have full contents. You can not delete a valve, create a valve, and form the tank without losing half the contents.

Also, if you're resizing the tank, you have to delete the valve, form the tank long enough for the liquid to show, then go ahead and resize.

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
xycraft tanks have another interesting feature: they can share walls. so, 2 conjoined tanks with sharing valves add up volume.

the railcraft-tanks are interesting, because they offer the full volume, not only the inner volume.

buildcraft tanks are nice for small and inexpensive storage

and then, there is the quantum tank as 4th type, a single block that is able to hold up to 2 million buckets (2 billion mB). but the main problem with that device is: just 6 sides for liquiducts. could be difficult to extract large amounts of liquids in short time.