Xms on laucher stuck Default

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.
B

bredstyxx

Title Xms on laucher stuck Default

Launcher Type Twitch Desktop App

Modpack FTB Presents CrackPack

Modpack version

Have you modified the pack? No

Link to log file

Details of the issue having an issue where I'm trying to allocate more RAM towards Minecraft, but everytime I change the Xms portion, it always reverts back to 256m even though I saved it. Help?

Last edited by a moderator:

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
Where are you editing that option?

B

bredstyxx

Where are you editing that option?

I'm using the Twitch/Curse mod launcher which then opens in a normal minecraft launcher with the Mod Pack set up to start. To change the RAM allocation, I went to Launch Options with Advanced settings on and clicked on the FTB Mod Pack and changed the Xms in the JVM Arguments area.

Skidd2

Jul 29, 2019
I had this problem the other day.... a good way to get it to "stick" is to go into the settings on the twitch launcher. it should be the down arrow should be up on the right hand side, next to your username. From there click settings, which will bring up a menu which will have the minecraft settings on the left side. Click on that, which will allow you to set some values that are automatically input into the regular minecraft launcher.

B

bredstyxx

I had this problem the other day.... a good way to get it to "stick" is to go into the settings on the twitch launcher. it should be the down arrow should be up on the right hand side, next to your username. From there click settings, which will bring up a menu which will have the minecraft settings on the left side. Click on that, which will allow you to set some values that are automatically input into the regular minecraft launcher.

Well i fixed that issue before, and now my Xmx is allowing more RAM when i changed it on Twitch, but the Xms is the one that is stuck and is unaffected by the changing of it on Twitch.

Even when i try to completely delete the Xms JVM argument, it defaults back to it and adds it back, and wont even launch the game an the new settings. it will instead launch on the normal settings, leaving me stuck at 30ish frames.

B

bredstyxx

Why do you care so much about -Xms?

As long as you set it on the twitch launcher as mentioned above - you should be good.

Instructions for that with images:
https://imgur.com/a/R9eKA

If you still have issues, post a log and it will be much easier to help you out.

Instructions for that can be found here:
http://support.feed-the-beast.com/faq/

I don't want Xms, it just adds it anyways. I'm not sure why the launcher insists on having it in, but it's the reason why i cant get more than like 37 frames because it defaults to 256m. I've switched the twitch setting already and that fixes the Xmx (and I have 16gb of RAM so I have plenty to handle the 6gb min I want) but no matter what the Xms will not change.

Also, I'm new to this idk what a log is or how to post it lol.

jikuja

Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
If OP provides explanation how -Xms fixes lag I will provide assistance to override Twitch's -Xms setting.

Reactions: grandrolf
B

bredstyxx

If OP provides explanation how -Xms fixes lag I will provide assistance to override Twitch's -Xms setting.

The -Xms Jvm Arguement allocates a certain amount of RAM on the startup of the laucher, -Xmx sets up a maximum amount that is allowed. If -Xms is set to a low RAM allocation, It will start up with that much RAM, no matter the maximum set by -Xmx.

The -Xms has a lot to do with frame performance. It your game is starting up with only 256m, your game will clock in at around 40 frames max. I've tested this on a normal minecraft launcher version 1.12.2, and was able to change both my -Xmx and -Xms Jvm Arguements to 6gb and ran 120 frames no problem (I'm running high grade equipment; I7 7700, Gtx 1070, 256gb ssd, etc.) If -Xms was set to a low Gb or m value, performance would drop.

Now, the issue on the FTB modpack is that the -Xms returning to default settings even after I save. The twitch settings only affect -Xmx NOT -Xms. I've tried a multitude solutions and am thoroughly confused as to why this is happening. -Xms needs to change, or else it will always startup running only half a gigabyte of RAM on a 146 mod modpack.

jikuja

Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
What value JVM uses for Xms by default if anything does not provide it as argument?

B

bredstyxx

What value JVM uses for Xms by default if anything does not provide it as argument?

Sorry, not sure what you're asking. The line of code under Advanced Settings under the section labeled "JVM Arguments" shows -Xmx6144m (this is 6gb of RAM that twitch let's me allocate ) and -Xms256m. I cannot find a setting in the launcher settings, modpack settings, or twitch settings that can change -Xms.

jikuja

Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
Sorry, not sure what you're asking. The line of code under Advanced Settings under the section labeled "JVM Arguments" shows -Xmx6144m (this is 6gb of RAM that twitch let's me allocate ) and -Xms256m. I cannot find a setting in the launcher settings, modpack settings, or twitch settings that can change -Xms.

Can you run command
java -XX:+PrintFlagsFinal -version | findstr HeapSize
on the command line and share the results

B

bredstyxx

Can you run command on the command line and share the results

Ok so put in that line of code into the JVM Arguments command line, and the game did not run. Do i replace the existing line of code with the new command, or do i tack it on at the end.

Also, here is the line of code that is currently in the JVM Argument line (this command is unchangeable, it always reverts back to this when i open the launcher even AFTER i save it.):

-Xmx6144m -Xms256m -XXPermSize=256m -Dminecraft.applet.TargetDirectory="C:\Users\mkkri\Documents\Curse\Minecraft\Instances\FTB Presents Crackpack" -Dfml.ignorePatchDiscrepancies=true -Dfml.ignoreInvalidMinecraftCertificates=true -Duser.language=en -Duser.country=US

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Is there a way to change the xms value? I have the same issue
Why would you like to change the Xms value?

Also this post is over 2 years old, no need for necroposting.

If you're using the Twitch app - contact Twitch for support!

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Just wanted to know if there was a solution
Solution to what?

It's not a problem not having Xms specified - what's the issue/problem that you're trying to solve? (as you said you had a issue)

A. Mine

Jul 13, 2020
I wanted to know if there was a way to save the Xms and keep it at a value that isn't 256 MB