X: Beyond the Frontier

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
I was just wondering who had played/currently plays games from this series.

For those who are curious:
The series is inspired by the original Space Trader/Combat/Flight sim, Elite [pause for nostalgic reverie]....
The following have been released and can be picked up through clients such as Steam individually or part of a pack.

X Beyond the Frontier [X Tension expansion]
X2 The Threat
X3 Reunion
X3 Terran Conflict
X3 Albion Prelude

There is a new game in the series approaching release, X Rebirth.

Though the interfaces normally need some practice to get comfortable with, once you do the games have a lot of depth to them. There is a story to follow in each of them, but it is even more sandbox than the Elder Scrolls games.

You trade to get money, by new weapons, upgrades or better ships. You trade some more, fight, steal or do missions. You buy more stuff, or maybe more ships to do trading for you. You save some credits and buy your own station. Buy resources, sell products, buy more ships to do it for you. Buy ships to fly as wingmen. Buy more stations, link them together to form a complex..... the list goes on.

If you like space traders then this is a good one to try. If you don't mind games that you need to really sink your teeth into, then give it a go. You don't need to have played the earlier ones as it is easy enough to find out what has already happened. For first timers I suggest Reunion or Terran Conflict. They at least have a little tutorial right at the start to kick you off.

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
I loved the original X Beyond the Frontier, I never played the others though, as I kind of broke my joystick and never bothered to buy another. I love that you mentioned the tutorial because in the first game it was very much "Here's how to fight..." and then 5 minutes later "oh whoops we took all your weapons away! Goooood luck!"

You've made me want to play this again now... Oh I hope I still have it somewhere, I may have to go to my parents and see if I can dig up the disc...

Narcisism

Jul 29, 2019
Does this game work with a controller? I can't imagine playing a first person space ship game with a mouse >.>

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
It does work with a controller, though I've never played it with either controller or joystick. Always with just the keyboard, never with the mouse. Once you have a handle on the shortcut keys the interface that is initially daunting becomes quite quick to manage.

I really should try picking up a reasonable joystick to play it with though. Any recomendations?

Oh, the start of the first game? Not just 'We took away all your weapons'. It was taking away your weapons, your gadgets, your powerful shields aaaaaand saddling you with a significant debt that you need to pay off before leaving this sector or be shot as a pirate. Captain of the Teladi Company Space Fleet Ship Phoenix wishes you Good Profit.