WTF is this?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Anhrak

Jul 29, 2019
What the frick is this biome? It looks horribly, gamebreakingly broken. If you walk on it, you instantly die, all items dropped on it also insta-disappear [so gravestones are useless], block-inspection also gives the raw block ID name, and half of the textures don't even load.

Attachments

• 2015-07-25_23.14.43.png
    2015-07-25_23.14.43.png
    790.4 KB · Views: 143

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
Well, despite the glitchiness, it's definitely more than a glitch. Which pack are you playing? It has likely been added by one of the mods you have installed.

EDIT: It seems to be a Thaumic Horizons biome, but it shouldn't be appearing in the Overworld AFAIK, so you probably have a biome ID conflict or something.

Reactions: RedBoss

Anhrak

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing on FTB Infinity 1.8.2 for minecraft 1.7.10.

To some theoritical research, I think this biome was meant to be an 'instance' area, where the blocks of the Pocket Plane biome were meant to be environmental borders.

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
Stock FTB Infinity 1.8.2 has a biome ID conflict between Thaumic Horizons and BoP. There are two solutions:
  • Open the BoP config, find the biome using ID 69 and reassign it to an unused ID.
  • Disable Thaumic Horizons.
Note that the former will not fix any biomes in your existing world. The chunks you have generated in this version will remain the way they are (deadly blocks and Pocket Plane biome), while any chunks generated in old versions will have their biome change to Pocket Plane but still keep their old blocks. In the latter case, the correct biome will be restored but any chunks generated with the deadly blocks will maintain them. For these areas (after fixing the conflict), you can try deleting the region files corresponding to the affected areas, but this will cause these areas to be regenerated so you will lose anything that you've placed or done in those areas. You might also be able to use a tool to erase individual chunks to regenerate them if you don't want to delete entire regions. In the case that you change the biome ID you may be able to use a tool to open up your world and change the biome ID over.

Thus, to fix your world while keeping Thaumic Horizons, you would have to change BoP biome ID 69 to a free ID, use a tool to search your entire world file for biome ID 69 and replace it with the free ID you selected, and then use a tool to erase any chunks that generated with the Pocket Plane blocks so that they will regenerate.

If you want to fix your world and disable Thaumic Horizons, you can skip the step involving biome IDs and just erase the chunks with Pocket Plane blocks. Or just load a world backup.

tofuturkey

Jul 29, 2019
Was this fixed in version 1.9.0 of Infinity? I didn't see anything about it in the changelog... I'm not literate enough about changing configs to feel brave enough to make the change myself, so I'll probably just not play until it gets fixed. Don't want to find my base destroyed because of this.

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
Was this fixed in version 1.9.0 of Infinity? I didn't see anything about it in the changelog... I'm not literate enough about changing configs to feel brave enough to make the change myself, so I'll probably just not play until it gets fixed. Don't want to find my base destroyed because of this.
just checked lush swamp is still set to use biome id 69 so looks like thats a no

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019

You can do a biome ID dump with NEI in order to find a free ID to use. However, if you have any Lush Swamp generated in your world, you'll need a tool to go into the files and overwrite all occurrences of biome ID 69 to whichever ID you reassigned it to. I'm pretty sure that MCEdit can let you change biomes, but I don't know if it has a command for remapping IDs across an entire save.

Alternatively you can stay on Infinity 1.7, or update to Infinity 1.8 but disable Thaumic Horizons (which is newly added to the pack, so you won't lose anything in an existing world by disabling it).

The main issue with reassigning IDs is that if another update corrects the IDs, or assigns a new biome to the free ID that you reassigned the biome to, you'll have to repeat the process of editing your save.

TBH I think it was a mistake to add Thaumic Horizons to Infinity. I'd have only done it with Unstable (where worlds aren't meant to survive between versions anyways), new packs (where the IDs could be properly assigned without conflicts), and packs where biome ID 69 is free (and thus adding Thaumic Horizons doesn't introduce a conflict), due to the fact that you can't reassign biome IDs in an existing pack without breaking existing worlds. I would recommend less technical users to disable Thaumic Horizons until its developer adds a config file and the FTB team corrects the conflict.

Anhrak

Jul 29, 2019
hold up, region files? I was able to literally just restore that all without doing a hell of a lot terraforming?

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
hold up, region files? I was able to literally just restore that all without doing a hell of a lot terraforming?

Well, that would depend on whether it was near your base or not. Each region file corresponds to a 512x512 area (32x32 chunks) so if the affected area were in a different region from your base you could delete the region file corresponding to the area that was messed up and it would regenerate the next time you loaded the world and went there. If your base is in the same region, then deleting the region would delete your base. Alternatively, you could theoretically open up a region file and only delete the afflicted chunks, but that takes a bit more work and requires programs like MCEdit, whereas for deleting an entire region you can just open the save directory and delete the region file.

Anhrak

Jul 29, 2019
the broken biome is more than 1000 blocks away from me. How do I detect them and delete it?

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
Assuming the coordinates on your JourneyMap display are accurate, unfortunately the biome seems to be generated on a corner where four regions intersect, so you will need to delete four regions.

Assuming that this is the Overworld, find your saves directory, open the save, find the folder named 'region', open it, and delete the following regions:
  • r.-4.-1.mca
  • r.-4.0.mca
  • r.-3.-1.mca
  • r.-3.0.mca
Note that I would make a backup (copy) of your save before doing this just in case something goes wrong (e.g. if something important turns out to be in the affected area, or if the save can no longer be played). I would also recommend that your player not be in that area (e.g. by exiting the game while in your base rather than over the affected area).

This will wipe out a 1024x1024 block area around the affected area. This essentially means anything that you build, gravestones, mobs and animals, terrain, etc. are erased. When you return to these areas, the terrain and animals will be regenerated. Most generation should be the same as it was originally since it is generated from your world seed. Only worldgen that does not use the world seed will change - this will probably just be certain random features from a few mods. And, of course, the area that generated improperly due to the biome ID conflict will generate as it was supposed to with the proper biome (assuming that you corrected the conflict - if you didn't change BoP's config or disable Thaumic Horizons, the broken biome will just generate again).

If you don't want to delete such a large area, open up MCEdit and just delete the affected chunks.

Once you've modified your save and deleted the affected areas, open it up again in Minecraft. Check to make sure that the area has indeed been regenerated properly, along with checking that all of your creations are intact.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
BoP has had Biome ID conflicts since Infinity was launched. Particularly, Twilight Forest biomes generate in the Overworld. This "Dimensional Bleed" has been reported since the first week of launch, but it has never been addressed, to my knowledge (note that our server is several versions behind at this point, but I've not seen anything in the change logs about it).

It's a shame things like this don't get fixed in testing before the pack is live. The majority of people either don't have the skill or don't have the will to fix it themselves.

Best of luck on your fix. Remember to back up everything. Make backups of your backups. Never can be too sure when you're playing God.

Reactions: GreenZombie

Anhrak

Jul 29, 2019
Uhm, I think the dimensional crossover from TW is intentional, just very rare. When I looked further at the biome generator ID's, I didn't see the TW biomes sharing any other BoP ID.

L0NExW0LF

Jul 29, 2019
BoP has had Biome ID conflicts since Infinity was launched. Particularly, Twilight Forest biomes generate in the Overworld. This "Dimensional Bleed" has been reported since the first week of launch, but it has never been addressed, to my knowledge (note that our server is several versions behind at this point, but I've not seen anything in the change logs about it).

It's a shame things like this don't get fixed in testing before the pack is live. The majority of people either don't have the skill or don't have the will to fix it themselves.

Best of luck on your fix. Remember to back up everything. Make backups of your backups. Never can be too sure when you're playing God.
It isn't that simple to fix. Because of the new vanilla biomes in 1.7 it gives less biome ids for mods and since Biomes O' Plenty takes up most of them it leaves little room for dimensions.

Uhm, I think the dimensional crossover from TW is intentional, just very rare. When I looked further at the biome generator ID's, I didn't see the TW biomes sharing any other BoP ID.
It isn't intentional. Look in the ids config and you'll see that it conflicts with the Lush Swamp biome.

Anhrak

Jul 29, 2019
Both in Infinity 1.6, 1.7 and 1.8 I have always been encountering Lush Swamp biomes? What are you talking about? In fact, the biome that I only just fixed from the Thaumcraft issue is a Lush Swamp biome.

L0NExW0LF

Jul 29, 2019
Both in Infinity 1.6, 1.7 and 1.8 I have always been encountering Lush Swamp biomes? What are you talking about? In fact, the biome that I only just fixed from the Thaumcraft issue is a Lush Swamp biome.
It doesn't mean that the Lush Swamps are replaced. When two biomes share an id they both have a chance to spawn

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019

I've seen a couple of the Twilight Forest biomes in my Overworld as well. However, it is less blatant than a biome full of end portal texture blocks that inflict void damage when you touch them.

It isn't that simple to fix. Because of the new vanilla biomes in 1.7 it gives less biome ids for mods and since Biomes O' Plenty takes up most of them it leaves little room for dimensions.

It's not too bad as long as you can account for all mod-added biomes when doling out the IDs, you don't have more than the maximum number of biomes, and preferably that all biome-adding mods have a config file. The main issue here with 1.8 is that the newly-added Thaumic Horizons cannot be configured and its biome conflicts with an existing biome in the pack, meaning that to rectify the conflict, the other mod's config would need to be changed, which would render existing worlds semi-broken.

Lush Swamp was okay in 1.6 and 1.7. When updating to 1.8, any areas already generated will see their biome name change (since a different biome is overriding the ID) but the terrain will remain that of the original (correct) biome that was previously generated. Any newly generated areas will be broken, though.

I think Forge should add a warning that appears on the title screen when there's an ID conflict that doesn't outright crash the game (e.g. biome ID conflict). That way you know right away that something is not right rather than having to catch a possible warning message buried in the console.

Reactions: Inaeo and Padfoote

Gaz_

FTB App
Team Member
Web Developer
Global Moderator
Feb 4, 2013
This will be fixed in version 1.10.0 of Infinity. This is expected to be released next week. Be warned that 1.10.0 will remove Thaumic Horizons.

Last edited:

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
This will be fixed in version 1.9.2 of Infinity. This is expected to be released next week. Be warned that 1.9.1 will remove Thaumic Horizons.
I guess that means I won't have to patch my world's biome IDs with the Python program I wrote.