Would you build this?

Would you build this?

• Total voters

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
You can have variations. You are free to choose the number of injectors, the absorber and boiler layout, water supply, steam line design, and preheater placement.
You know he means the Toroids. (Spelling?)
They're really, really finicky about even the slightest error, and the only guide there is to aligning them perfectly is your video. Personally, it really seems like there should be at least some amount of allowance for variance, such as being slightly off by a degree or two...

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
You know he means the Toroids. (Spelling?)
They're really, really finicky about even the slightest error, and the only guide there is to aligning them perfectly is your video. Personally, it really seems like there should be at least some amount of allowance for variance, such as being slightly off by a degree or two...
There actually is, but in a real reactor, there is no such tolerance.

Reactions: techno156

MUSE_iC

Jul 29, 2019
So more questions.. I managed to get everything up and running (yay!). I actually took the design you used in the picture and made it similar to that. It started of great and was building up its power quite well. It got to about 1GW when I noticed something bad begin to happen. Basically some of the neutron absorbers began to melt. Design wise as I said its similar to what you have in the picture circle pattern and all. The absorbers near the middle of the curve/further from the black and gold multiblocks (plasma injectors?) are getting quite hot regardless of cooling.

Also it seems to produce a lot more power than expected. In your picture you have all four of the plasma injector multiblocks completed & running and you show it producing 22GW. However in another run of my build it reaches 20GW with only one completed multiblock. Is this a bug?

I also noticed in both the picture and your tutorial video that the plasma is purple but in mine its baby blue. Did you change the texture? Or is something else happening here?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
So more questions.. I managed to get everything up and running (yay!). I actually took the design you used in the picture and made it similar to that. It started of great and was building up its power quite well. It got to about 1GW when I noticed something bad begin to happen. Basically some of the neutron absorbers began to melt. Design wise as I said its similar to what you have in the picture circle pattern and all. The absorbers near the middle of the curve/further from the black and gold multiblocks (plasma injectors?) are getting quite hot regardless of cooling.
You are not sinking heat fast enough. Try an additional layer of boilers.
0eKMVuX.png

Also it seems to produce a lot more power than expected. In your picture you have all four of the plasma injector multiblocks completed & running and you show it producing 22GW. However in another run of my build it reaches 20GW with only one completed multiblock. Is this a bug?
No, it just means I had not maxed out the turbine count. Also, if you build up steam for a while, such as by turning on the reactor before you build turbines, then it will be able to support a higher than natural load for some time.

I also noticed in both the picture and your tutorial video that the plasma is purple but in mine its baby blue. Did you change the texture? Or is something else happening here?
The plasma was all originally purple; soon after v16, I made the entities blue, and then a version later, I made the pipe texture match.

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
Reika,

ReactorCraft is fantastic mode, thanks a lot for your effort. I have a couple questions:

1. When you compute heat dissipation do you take into account every side of the block? For instance does block of water act as heat absorber? Or only very specific blocks such as boilers counted for cooling.
2. When you place two rows of boilers how does it work? One side of boiler cannot reach more than 100 degree.
3. Do you count absorption and heat production of neutrons in boilers?

Is it possible to remove neutrons from the world when they reach chunk boundary? I noticed after a while when I move to another chunk all frozen neutrons at the boundary paralyze the game.

Thank you.

MUSE_iC

Jul 29, 2019
You are not sinking heat fast enough. Try an additional layer of boilers.

No, it just means I had not maxed out the turbine count. Also, if you build up steam for a while, such as by turning on the reactor before you build turbines, then it will be able to support a higher than natural load for some time.

The plasma was all originally purple; soon after v16, I made the entities blue, and then a version later, I made the pipe texture match.

Ah thanks a lot!

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
1. When you compute heat dissipation do you take into account every side of the block? For instance does block of water act as heat absorber? Or only very specific blocks such as boilers counted for cooling.
A mixture. I only coded a few bock types (so things like pumpkins have no effect beyond being insulating), but some, like water, do indeed actively draw away heat. Exposed-to-air sides do as well, though less efficiently.

2. When you place two rows of boilers how does it work? One side of boiler cannot reach more than 100 degree.
??
If the neutron absorber reaches, say 600C, then it can dump twice as much heat if it has two adjacent boilers rather than one.

3. Do you count absorption and heat production of neutrons in boilers?
No, boilers do not interact with neutrons.

Is it possible to remove neutrons from the world when they reach chunk boundary? I noticed after a while when I move to another chunk all frozen neutrons at the boundary paralyze the game.
Thank you.
I just made it so that neutrons more than 12 seconds old start to decay, with virtually none surviving more than 30s.

Reactions: abculatter_2

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
A mixture. I only coded a few bock types (so things like pumpkins have no effect beyond being insulating), but some, like water, do indeed actively draw away heat. Exposed-to-air sides do as well, though less efficiently.

Thanks a lot.

Could you please give more details what blocks and at what relative heat dissipation/conductance rate? Experimenting is nice but it takes a lot of time, extra details would help to anticipate better design.

Could you also give more details about probability of emitting neutron for uranium and plutonium? Also what is probability of absorbing neutron by fuel cell? it seems currently it is necessary to have at least 3 fuel cells in row to maintain positive outcome of reaction.

If the neutron absorber reaches, say 600C, then it can dump twice as much heat if it has two adjacent boilers rather than one.

I missed the fact that absorber is between two boilers.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Thanks a lot.
Could you please give more details what blocks and at what relative heat dissipation/conductance rate? Experimenting is nice but it takes a lot of time, extra details would help to anticipate better design.
Could you also give more details about probability of emitting neutron for uranium and plutonium? Also what is probability of absorbing neutron by fuel cell? it seems currently it is necessary to have at least 3 fuel cells in row to maintain positive outcome of reaction.
I missed the fact that absorber is between two boilers.
You can use trial and error, or you are free to dig through the code to determine the exact chances and thermal transfer rates.

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
You can use trial and error, or you are free to dig through the code to determine the exact chances and thermal transfer rates.

There is very little information about the mod. Spending time watching tutorials when half of all built reactors on youtube are not operational:) Trial and error for statistical process is great suggestion.

Could you tell at least which file I have to look into?

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Well aware, Reika, but by the sounds of it, @Not_Steve isn't.
I apologize I should have said more deeply based in science. Honestly I would prefer if either the fuel for ic2 was polonium instead of plutonium and decayed after a week of RL time. That would better explain the large power production and help balance fuel consumption

Reactions: YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I apologize I should have said more deeply based in science. Honestly I would prefer if either the fuel for ic2 was polonium instead of plutonium and decayed after a week of RL time. That would better explain the large power production and help balance fuel consumption
Ah, there we go.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Remember that IC2 does not give two shits about realism. The justification for pretty much everything in the mod, and I very likely quote Alblaka's response directly, is "HAYOOO!!!"