World Type Question (Direwolf20)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
J

Jagesh

What is the difference between Biomes o' Plenty, Great Wall and Realistic world types? I don't know which one to choose. Thank you!

-Evil

Renton Terrace

Jul 29, 2019
whatever you do don't choose Great Wall unless you want a skyblock like map.
It spawns you on block sticking out of a giant wall of bedrock in a void world

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
...huh. That's different! Sounds interesting though!

Biomes O'Plenty as a mod introduces many new biomes that can exist in the world, and with this type of world gen those are switched on. People often have them off as it makes finding a specific vanilla biome much harder, I've heard.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019

That actually sounds kind of cool, if, of course, you're prepared for Skyblock style play.

To answer a bit more, realistic is much smoother terrain gen, with more logical transition between surface features and biomes.

Biomes'o'Plenty is a mod that changes how biomes are laid out, mostly by adding a ton of new biomes and sub-biomes. BoP also adds a bunch of new trees (and this new logs and planks) and some navigational hazards such as Poison ivy (annoying at best) and Quicksand (great for early passive mob farms). These new woods can be used in conjunction with other mods, such as Storage Drawers and BiblioCraft, to fit different aesthetic choices.

If you're starting a server, you could potentially use both to generate your world, although without looking at the server files, doing so is a bit fuzzy in my memory.

J

Jagesh

That actually sounds kind of cool, if, of course, you're prepared for Skyblock style play.

To answer a bit more, realistic is much smoother terrain gen, with more logical transition between surface features and biomes.

Biomes'o'Plenty is a mod that changes how biomes are laid out, mostly by adding a ton of new biomes and sub-biomes. BoP also adds a bunch of new trees (and this new logs and planks) and some navigational hazards such as Poison ivy (annoying at best) and Quicksand (great for early passive mob farms). These new woods can be used in conjunction with other mods, such as Storage Drawers and BiblioCraft, to fit different aesthetic choices.

If you're starting a server, you could potentially use both to generate your world, although without looking at the server files, doing so is a bit fuzzy in my memory.
Thanks for all the information! I loaded in a BoP world and its pretty fun. I will try realistic next time. Sounds quite interesting.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all the information! I loaded in a BoP world and its pretty fun. I will try realistic next time. Sounds quite interesting.

BoP has some cool biomes, but RTG is my all time favorite world generation. The flow of the terrain really makes biomes with hard features, like Extreme Hills and Savannah Plateaus, stand out.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
BoP has some cool biomes, but RTG is my all time favorite world generation. The flow of the terrain really makes biomes with hard features, like Extreme Hills and Savannah Plateaus, stand out.
Seconded. I think ATG turns out quite nicely too. Not sure how different they are actually!

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Seconded. I think ATG turns out quite nicely too. Not sure how different they are actually!

I personally don't like ATG all that much it seems too regimented vs vanilla's too chaotic. The Quark realistic seems to be a happy medium.

To use it on a server I just added this string to the generator-settings line in server.properties,

{"coordinateScale":175.0,"heightScale":75.0,"lowerLimitScale":512.0,"upperLimitScale":512.0,"depthNoiseScaleX":200.0,"depthNoiseScaleZ":200.0,"depthNoiseScaleExponent":0.5,"mainNoiseScaleX":165.0,"mainNoiseScaleY":106.61267,"mainNoiseScaleZ":165.0,"baseSize":8.267606,"stretchY":13.387607,"biomeDepthWeight":1.2,"biomeDepthOffset":0.2,"biomeScaleWeight":3.4084506,"biomeScaleOffset":0.0,"seaLevel":63,"useCaves":true,"useDungeons":true,"dungeonChance":7,"useStrongholds":true,"useVillages":true,"useMineShafts":true,"useTemples":true,"useMonuments":true,"useRavines":true,"useWaterLakes":true,"waterLakeChance":49,"useLavaLakes":true,"lavaLakeChance":80,"useLavaOceans":false,"fixedBiome":-1,"biomeSize":4,"riverSize":5,"dirtSize":33,"dirtCount":10,"dirtMinHeight":0,"dirtMaxHeight":256,"gravelSize":33,"gravelCount":8,"gravelMinHeight":0,"gravelMaxHeight":256,"graniteSize":33,"graniteCount":10,"graniteMinHeight":0,"graniteMaxHeight":80,"dioriteSize":33,"dioriteCount":10,"dioriteMinHeight":0,"dioriteMaxHeight":80,"andesiteSize":33,"andesiteCount":10,"andesiteMinHeight":0,"andesiteMaxHeight":80,"coalSize":17,"coalCount":20,"coalMinHeight":0,"coalMaxHeight":128,"ironSize":9,"ironCount":20,"ironMinHeight":0,"ironMaxHeight":64,"goldSize":9,"goldCount":2,"goldMinHeight":0,"goldMaxHeight":32,"redstoneSize":8,"redstoneCount":8,"redstoneMinHeight":0,"redstoneMaxHeight":16,"diamondSize":8,"diamondCount":1,"diamondMinHeight":0,"diamondMaxHeight":16,"lapisSize":7,"lapisCount":1,"lapisCenterHeight":16,"lapisSpread":16}

took it directly from the reddit thread was originally by Soniop I beleive.

That string plus Recurrent Complex (a structure\world gen adding mod) gave me one of the nicest and most realistic (for a block world) worlds I've ever had in modded minecraft.

Edit: According to a bit more searching setting world type to quark_realisitic in the server.properties would work as well.