World Gaurd VS. Towny

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

taloravia

Jul 29, 2019
I am planning to start a new direwolf20 economy server and I have been debating on either using towny or worldgaurd to set up towns for players. I am accustomed to using worldgaurd having had use it before and I do like its simplicity. However, towny has a significant amount more to offer than worldgaurd does, such as allowing town mayors to set up a taxing system for all their residents.

I was wondering if I could get some other server admins to put in their two cents about the two plugins, which ones you feel are better. What are some of the pros and cons of the two plugins? I am some what nervous about towny due to how new I am to using it and just how detailed it is, it seems like there is a lot that could wrong with it. Also, if any of you admins have used both in the past with a modded server, which one works best with these mods (I am talking about which plugin seems to offer the best protection against the modded items, I have read about issues with it)

Jared39

Jul 29, 2019
I would go with Towny because it has more features than WorldGuard and has somewhat of an RPG feel about it. Towny lets players invest In Game Money to make a town and then has come up with money to pay the upkeep. Also, it allows protection for residents of the town while providing a plot for them to build on. Plus, the towns can divide even more into different Nations and will be able to declare war on different towns. To me Towny only has one Con, however, WorldGuard also has this and that is both, like many other Bukkit-based protection systems, can't protect against items like the Mining Laser and Wand of Excavation.

If you don't mind banning a few items for a good protection system then Towny is the way to go. However, if you and your players just cannot live without your Mining Lasers, Wands, and Turtles then there is this mod that is like Towny called MyTown but it has a lot less features. MyTown, even though it is no longer under development, can still protect against things like the Mining Laser, Wands and other modded items.

MyTown: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...aperf-server-protection-and-performance-mods/

taloravia

Jul 29, 2019
First off, thank you for the reply.

I do not have a problem banning items if need be since I am working to make this an economy based server. I would like to keep the banned items to a minimum so players can enjoy doing what they like to do. If all else fails I can always find a way to ban the use of those items in the world where the towns are and use mystcraft to have a seperate world for usage of those items.

Do quarries break towny's protections as well? I remember when using worldgaurd that quarries could get through it but some one was developing a plug in that could prevent usages of quarries unless you were in a town you were apart of. This was back before minecraft 1.2.5 and on tekkit.

I definitely am interested in using towny due largely in part to the taxes that can be set up by mayors, the taxes that are set up by the server itself etc. The plugin looks like a nice way to help keep inflation in check on the server and seems to be able to help keep a few players from having the majority of the "money" on the server since it would be moving around a lot more.

I remember looking at MyTown a few months ago, its a shame that it is not being developed anymore it looked like it would be a pretty good mod.

Jared39

Jul 29, 2019
Do quarries break towny's protections as well?
Using the normal BuildCraft mod yes it would break the protection. However, if you use the 'fixed' version at Minecraft Port Central, it has the Bukkit events so towns will protect against quarries.

Minecraft Port Central: http://mcportcentral.co.za/wiki/index.php?title=Mods_and_Plugins_for_1.4.7
l
Scroll down to this \/

ZuFsxfZ.png