World Diary

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Day 1:

Forest in sight near this riverside spawn point, looks like a good place to punch wood. Smash a few trees, leave the heads floating to get saplings in a bit but I've noticed surface coal. Wood, planks, crafting table, wooden pick, stone pick, coal, torches. Not a bad start. When the big hole near this coal turned out to have a side passage that was small enough to wall off I'd found my first base. Good start.

Day 3:

Hole goes down quite a while, finding things I can't harvest with a stone pick, but even when I go deep enough that I can spot lava, I just am not finding iron. This isn't a good thing. Nither are the spiders I heard in the other place I saw light. Spiders, wood, webs, not a good place to go. I'll make a note and come back latter.

Day 5:

Having an entire forest to punch gives me quite a bit of charcoal. No worry about running out of light. Sadly this is just about the only thing I've got enough of. I'm starting to think that I might want to use survival pickaxes or something else to make my equipment. Even thought about making bronze armor. This isn't hardcore, so I'm okay with dying, just a little rest between sleeps. Thoughts of lovely machines and how they can make like better means that I've got to make my base larger. Sadly when I make the carpenter I realize that my problem with a lack of iron means that I'd also not be able to make any engines. Tin for the bucket, bronze for the carpenter, but no iron for the piston that drives the engine. I need a distraction.

Day 7:

Took some time to explore the overworld, lake with quite a bit of clay. Collected the clay and sand for latter. There was only a single cluster of iron the entire time I've been down in the caves, the caves are very big, and get very dangerous without proper armor or even weapons. That cluster only had two iron ore left in it.

Day 12:

Having given up on the cave by my base for a while I tried a few other caves on the same hill, holes under trees, sides of the mountain, or just in the field. I keep finding the same abandoned mine and bailing out. I also keep finding half consumed iron ore deposits. I finally have enough for an iron pick and break into the stash.

Day 21:

I've just spent more then a week at a village. This place was given the short end of a short stick. Caves cut away parts of the town, lake washed away more of it, all the roads are gone. Reminds me of what happened with the hurricane. There's only two doors that anybody can reach from the ground. Gardens are safe, carrots, potatoes, wheat. Course I didn't come back alive with most of the loot, creepers swarmed the town while I was trying to rebuild it. Settled with just making paths and stairs to get the doorways to be something other then one way death drops. For my trouble I came away with some armor from the blacksmith chest and the beekeepers didn't seem to mind my taking the apiaries. Perhaps I should have let the bees work and taken the comb, oh well.

Day 23:

Taking a lesson from the floating gardens of the villagers, I've gone and made a floating garden for myself. Looted a bit more from town to start it, bonemeal to get the rest. There was reed that I found on the way to the village but I've left off planting it here for now. I've got plans for a better garden in the future, but for now it is more important to me to have it be safe from creepers and zombies, I don't even mind that the ground floating above the water isn't wet.

Day 25:

Another one of the holes in the ground in the plains had iron enough that I've got a small stockpile now. Think it might be time for a major expedition. Mining backpack, digger backpack, iron pick, iron sword, iron shovel, crafting table, stack of logs, stack of charcoal, I'll make more of everything I need as I go until everything is full then come up.

Day 31:

Woke up back in camp. Think the mining expedition didn't go well. Have to remake backpacks, had to remake everything. I'm not tempted to go back that deep again, huge rooms, skeletons and lava. There was some beautiful things down there, things that change how you look at the world. You can't see a ravine filled with bedrock fog passing through lakes of lava and an abandoned mine without feeling something move inside of you. Panic, true, but still moving. In this case AWAY.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Day 35:

Found one of the places in the plains that went down rather deeper then most, found enough good stuff down here that I filled my packs. Also found either the same mine or another mine. Two iron picks worth of good things, stone picks for digging away anything else, rubies, sapphires, emeralds, even a few diamonds. That last is what got me to turn back. Though now that I've got diamond and I'm at lava it's time to make some hard choices. Only armor I ever had came out of a chest, I'm not one to waste resources so using those diamonds to make a pick troubles me. Instead I made a survivalist pick axe from ore I found while down here, a new bucket, torches and time. Lots and lots of time. Over an hour of time, but I've got enough for portal, boots, and an enchanting table. The cluster was skimpy, only 5 diamonds so that enchanting table is going to be most of them. Would help if the cows I'd seen in the taiga forest would show themselves for me, I need leather and lots of it before I can make a library.

Day 37:

I needed that walkabout. Sometimes you just have to put away the expensive toys and walk a while. I've got an island of forest in the middle of plains and savanna. The Extreme hills are oddly flattened by invading rivers and lakes at many points. There's even some strange redwood forests over a ravine in the north. Where I started was very close to a tundra, I think it's nice to have so many choices so early on. Another expedition might be needed to find a jungle, a home isn't a home without a few cats, or perhaps some tame wolves. I've noticed enough chickens, sheep and pigs that I'll have no problem with a farm when the time comes, but the needed cows all seem to be in the tundra on the other side of one of the many rivers, I'll be wanting to make a bridge to make things easier on me when, but not today, not this when.

Day 39:

I've got this odd habit when I see flowing water, I just have to dive in. In this when it lead me to an underground cave and a wall made of cobblestone. A little digging and I found mossy cobblestone, a sure sign of a spawner nearby. Too near, the cave had clipped the stone box open and the room had gotten half filled by sand. No sign of it from the surface but with so much filled, zombie after zombie in my face until I got some light in. Clearing the sand revealed it to be under the lake who's flowing stream lead me in here to begin. I left it open to the sun. Perhaps I should have sealed up the hole so the zombies didn't wander downstream into the caves at night. Maybe someday I'll come back to use this resource for something, so I shall not break it now.

Day 41:

Returning from my walkabout I stopped at (0,0) and turned a slow circle. There's a rather high hill with spires and a ridge. I can see caves in it from there. Circling the cite shows me that it's between two rivers with a lake between it and the town. Though "between" is a misnomer, the town is flooded by that lake. I'll have to finish that project in due time. Amusingly there's a crack in the hillside that you can view down into the caves through, it's almost like a ravine almost surfaced, but it was a very small ravine. I like it here. This could be my base. There's a few more caves and entrances in the side of this mountain range, just inviting me to clean it up and move in. There's also some more hills that look like they exploded deep inside and left huge open areas with steep walls and parts of a roof over them. They look too open, just enough shadow that the zombies cluster there at night. As much as the redwood forest might make for good views this place is not as attractive as the small base to me.

Day 45:

That exploring feeling came on me a few more times, mysterious sounds, water where I couldn't see any, zombies in daylight, so I found myself digging down. I kept going further and further from home and then digging down with a stone pick, two blocks side by side, always standing safely before taking the ground away but never letting myself fall. I'd dig down until I hit some nice small cave deep enough to find gold or diamond and if I did find something come back with iron. Collect the goods, and run back up the hole and store them before trying again.

Day 51:

It took me a while to move the chests, the ravine room was the easiest to secure. Made a mistake by not glassing the top as well as dooring the ravine exit, any fall I can survive is enough to annoy a creeper. It was not any less explosive for going off in mid air. That taken care of, with the bed replaced I took a longer look at the caves.

Day 57:

These caves go down quite a bit too. I've come up with gold, but nothing was heading deep enough to make me think diamond. I'm not looking to take it all that way either, no matter how many side passages might be going that way. There's three rooms, maybe a few deeper worth time to take from this mountain and make them into home. Time to start on that second room.

Day 61:

Two months? That's about right. Lost most of my notes. If you are taking notes on paper with squid ink and taking guesses to the time from the stars and the shape of the moon when you come out of the cave at night, notes get lost and time is a little slippery. I'll get books properly made before too much longer. Still I think I've rewritten the notes properly. I've done the first lightning in this, my 2nd room. It'll be my main workshop. I'll come back with glass, more light, and some picks, level this place out, start my shop in here. For now I've got a forest planted outside the pocket ravine. I think the ravine would have gone on further if the hills hadn't been flattened out by a lake in the distance. The forest looks good here though, hidden in the walls and cliffs with the few rubberwood trees I could convince to root and grow at the edges of it. I might plant more trees on the hillsides or the peek but only if I also add some light. Light from here to the village, perhaps even a road. It's a nice idea.

Day 65:

It took quite a while to get this looking properly mined out. Two side entrances are now so high up that they look like skylights, I've got a tunnel that leads the hole where that creeper fell in over where my bed still is right now, makes a lovely view down, safely covered in glass. There's a nice little passage I've cut into the rock, filled in with stairs, and placed some secured doors in, someday I'll get out of bed, come up the stairs, open the doors and look out into a grand view out into the hills and rivers. For now that's sealed and part of the hillside, small doors there, but outside of them is the same view. Think I might be able to use this same entrance to pass down into the lower level. I've got some torches down there but nothing sealed, it's nearly ground level so it's a nice place for animals, possibly some test farms.

Day 67:

Nether portal fits really nice in the wall of this little chamber. You can see it from the viewing window in the big main room that's my lab. I've had very little luck inside of here. Natives are hostile, conditions are dangerous, but with the pyrite and the thick layers I've noticed of soul sand there is wealth to be had here. Be nice if I could find a fortress, those are much easier to defend and I wouldn't mind the ability to make potions.

Day 71:

Pausing in working on the main room to write this down, spent a day and a night getting sand and bringing it back for the coke oven, it has it's own hole in the wall near the main entrance. Found a nice sandpit nearby, but it's not a real desert and won't last forever.

Day 73:

Took most of a week to get the machines in place and running. Pulverizer and a Stirling engine to start, very first ores of iron made from the powder went into making the furnaces into iron furnaces. Stacks of wood turned into chests of scaffolds, but I got through all of the ore, smelted all of the powder. I hear this other silver is galena or something, made a special furnace for that, goes through my lumber like nothing else but gives me lead. I'd gotten some lead pulverized with the silver, and rarely true lead ore. I've heard hints enough to know that I'll need quite a bit. I think I remember where the galena was, but I'm not headed back down today. First pass at some industrial machines to use this wealth I've found myself in possession of here. Macerator, compressor, extractor, canning machine and two electric furnaces. Electric wrench's safety won't turn on, that's strange to me but I'm okay with where things are. If moving the furnaces break them latter I'll worry about it then, I'm not tempted to spend power on keeping more powerful induction furnaces running. Used a batbox for testing, but used that to make a jetpack latter. Need to put a mfs unit in place and a transformer to charge the jetpack, but as I'm not using the machines right now, I don't have to worry.

MrAgle

Jul 29, 2019
Macerate or Pulverize your excess cobble to make sand. No need for a desert, with Science!

Keep us updated, this was fun to read!

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Day 75:

Spiders keep finding me, but unable to enter into it. They always seem to be sitting at one of the glass entrances. The MFE Unit is in place, the jetpack is charging, even going through stacks of scaffolds at a time this isn't very efficient. I've done a touch or research, there are better designs though it looks like the best of them is going to only exist in a narrow window. Still it is tempting to try it while it works and the parts will still work well enough. The big problem is going to be moving things from the farms, that I intend to have far off, to the lab, that is here in the mountain. I hear there's a special chest that can help this, but for that I need to go into the nether. I'm not yet brave enough to go there, it's dangerous. Perhaps the answer lays in another world. In preparation I've made a small pond and I'm leading grass to grow at the verge of it, while this happens I shall make a ladder and a drop path for future efforts of mining. Course I know any true efforts will require that I go even further, perhaps many worlds, but not in this one will I level the world with wide scale devastation.

Day 81:

The grass grew well, I've got the diamond, but I think I'm not ready for this either. I think doing a few hundred blocks in the mines might be calming. In preparation I built a barrel and started it with cobblestone, this will stretch my storage some. I was a bit shocked when I tossed the diamond in. I really should use that cobble in the town. I think I understand. Down into the mines, I'm starting at around 12, I'll know for sure if I've found 12 when I find a lake down here. I think I really do understand. I'm doing everything I can without leaving. Right. In that case it's time to go, as far as possible. Right after I finish working in the lab. No reason to leave a messy lab. Outside is that place that I die. If I stay here, I'll go crazy. Hearing them. There is no choice.

Day, no, night.... 97?

As far as possible I said. So I tried it. That shocking portal. This is far. Glad of the jetpack already, if I couldn't get even half as high as the trees I'd be lost terribly by now. Though I must admit I am terribly lost. Hole in a hillside and I've not seen the sky. Even when I could see the sky I couldn't see the sun. I have gone around in circles, I know not how many times. I've seen the bedrock under these caves of water and earth. I've been swarmed by little blue minions. I've found treasure of worth for the world that I now know not if I will see again. Things are so green here, even deep underground there are green roots, green plants, glowing lights. I've been down so long that I've forgotten what the sky is. I entered this world with iron armor and three picks, three swords, large stockpiles of meat from the creatures on the surface... but now I'm wearing armor made from the iron that was on the walls and these strange green roots. It's not exactly worse then the iron, but as strange and differnt as anything else. A world with water for blood instead of magma, a world of strange but beautiful life. The number of picks I've sundered it beyond my counting. Swords I've smote on these little blue deamons. I get the strangest idea that there's supposed to be something more... Days, it has to have been days in the real world... but I see light, and grass, I am sure... yes, that's the surface. Flying back to the portal I entered in, a strange structure blew open in the ground, there seems to be two of them nearby. I think, I think I want to sleep in some sort of bed first, perhaps the nearby house...

(note, 3 crashes in a row when I try to explore the maze, I'll be minitaur hunting another day folks)

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Day 110:

Sometimes I wonder if my thoughts are my own, sometimes I wonder if there's some horrific madman out there making me into an occasional puppet. I'd started to expand the lab to make room for more machines when I had a sudden overwhelming urge. Now the path to the viewing window is an artistically decorated and well sorted passageway, complete with barrels. I've moved the main staircase, placing it a little closer at the bottom to the doors there. The lab is now two levels, with a floor made from the logs of the canopy trees, it reminds me of the sky. It is somehow comforting to have that above me when the sky itself is unsafe. I find myself looking for a piece of wall large enough and solid enough to build a boiler within so that my power needs will be taken care of in style and comfort.

Just so nobody is left hanging. That world DOES end there. I admit I wasn't going to spent so much time in a world that had no upgrade path to ultimate.

Onward to light. While it's not the most complex pallet to paint with, I should be able to work up something enjoyable for everybody.

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/world-diary-ftb-light.9583/

Last edited: