Working with hemp

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone else doing it? I'm trying to build a silly closed-loop ethanol crystal production machine that runs off hemp seed oil -> gas turbine but the hemp itself is proving very difficult to work with; has anyone figured out tricks to grow it quickly? None of the usual things work, it doesn't like any modded dirt blocks, watering cans don't work on it, nothing seems to :(

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Anyone else doing it? I'm trying to build a silly closed-loop ethanol crystal production machine that runs off hemp seed oil -> gas turbine but the hemp itself is proving very difficult to work with; has anyone figured out tricks to grow it quickly? None of the usual things work, it doesn't like any modded dirt blocks, watering cans don't work on it, nothing seems to :(
Large farms. Really nothing better.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
The main thing I know is that despite being able to be planted anywhere it only grows next to water, like sugar canes do.

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't tried any magical solutions because I don't use magic. Bonemeal doesn't work so I didn't try rotarycrafts fertilizer nor extrautilities sprinkler, iirc engineer's toolboxes own fertilizer didn't work, watering can doesn't work, wrapping it in glowstone doesn't work, it won't plant on fertilized earth or whatever that block is called..

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't tried it, but the Rotarycraft fertilizer seems to work on everything. I have had it overlap Forestry multi farms, magic crops, vanilla and mod tree farms. I haven't seen anything that it doesn't affect. It may be worth trying in a test world. It can use forestry fertilizer or bone meal. Although, if the watering can didn't work, it may not either. Only way to know is to try it out.

NM just tested and nothing. Seems hemp isn't affected by anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: kilteroff

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
growth lamp from Thaumcraft seems to do the trick for me.
and I believe hemp also needs to be next to a watersource to grow properly.

and the diamond block breaker from Expanded Redstone is a nice way of making a compact harvesting setup, as it can harvest 12 blocks infront of it, requiring less block breakers and such to set up, but ofcourse it does cost 3 diamonds per diamond block breaker