Wither Builder Feeding...

scuzzyfuzzy

Jul 29, 2019
So, I started my nether star factory (sort of) on Enigmatica 2 (normal mode), and I'm using the Wither Builder + Mob Crusher (from Industrial Foregoing), and my simple question is:
  • how do I feed the Builder skulls & sand, one batch at a time?
Meaning, I'd like it to wait until the previous Wither is dead, then start pulling the next batch of skulls & sand from some inventory...

Tnx :)

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Hm. That's actually a really interesting question...! To wait til its actually dead, you'd have to have something that detects when the nether star arrives. Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware there's no mode that makes the system wait until it receives the product of a crafting (which in this case would be 4 soul sand + 3 wither skulls = 1 nether star) before it sends the next lot.

There must be an easier way to do it than this, but: potentially you could have the nether star directed to a dropper/open crate of some sort, which - when it lands on a pressure plate - sends a signal to trigger the wither builder in some way, and to pick up the star? Hmm. Can the wither builder be set to activate on a redstone pulse?

Reactions: Brotuulaan

scuzzyfuzzy

Jul 29, 2019
Hm. That's actually a really interesting question...! To wait til its actually dead, you'd have to have something that detects when the nether star arrives. Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware there's no mode that makes the system wait until it receives the product of a crafting (which in this case would be 4 soul sand + 3 wither skulls = 1 nether star) before it sends the next lot.

There must be an easier way to do it than this, but: potentially you could have the nether star directed to a dropper/open crate of some sort, which - when it lands on a pressure plate - sends a signal to trigger the wither builder in some way, and to pick up the star? Hmm. Can the wither builder be set to activate on a redstone pulse?

Well, actually, I was thinking about a timer system - i.e., it takes cca. 20 seconds (don't quote me on that) for the spawn & kill - so I thought I use that time as a trigger...
I tried fiddling with EnderIO conduits & some of its redstone filters (one of them is actually a timer), but couldn't figure it out...
To answer your question, yes, the builder responds to redstone...And there are blocks that detect entities, but my first idea was some kind of a timer system...

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Hmm a timer could work! Its simpler :) I guess the only concern is what happens if the wither isn't killed in time for some reason? But I'm sure it will probably work fine!

Brotuulaan

Jan 14, 2018
I had a wither farm set up on a timer in Sky Factory 3, and it worked like a charm. I don't remember what mod the builders were from, but they were some sort of auto placer. I set it up so one of the heads was triggered on a redstone pulse (timer from ProjectRed Integration). Once it was assembled, I used its fall time to drop it through a Draconic Evolution portal which sent it into its killbox, which had the DE Mob Grinder. I timed the death and set the timer so that every time a wither died, another would appear immediately after in the killbox so as to prevent any items from being destroyed.

Whole thing was pretty small and worked like a charm. I think I used a Vacuum Hopper (OpenBlocks) to pick up the items, but I don't remember for certain.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Brotuulaan

Jan 14, 2018
But if you really wanted it to detect death in case you weren't sure of your setup, you could just set up an extra chest filtered for the nether star next to the collection system and pull a comparator signal off the chest as the star passes through it. Then just route the nether star through to the rest of the collection system and it's only been delayed for a moment.

A mini-chest from Extra Utilities would do the trick without being big and lumpy--though the trade-off is the weird look of the pipes in and out. I'm not a fan of the look myself but have used them when I needed to keep a small stock of apples available from a tree farm.

Panzernacker

Mar 22, 2020
I know it's been a while but if anyone else happens upon this thread, here's how I handled it.

Basically, I used a trick I used to automate Terrasteel ingots and it works just fine for this too. The key piece you need is the "Impulse Hopper" from EnderIO which holds items in storage and only passes a certain number once all items are present. You'll also need item filters as well (basic are fine). You set the impulse hopper to require 3 wither skeleton skulls, 4 soul sand, and 1 nether star. I have a chest with Wither Skeleton Skulls and Soul sand that feed into the hopper on its own branch. I have a ranged collector to pull all the wither drops which all go into an ender chest. I have the chest next to the impulse hopper with an item conduit between them and an item filter on both. Nether stars are blacklisted on the ender chest and whitelisted on the impulse hopper. Then the impulse hopper outputs back out to the wither builder and the ender chest which have item filters and soul sand/skulls on one whitelist and nether stars on the other.

The process goes:
  1. Impulse hopper sitting with skulls and sand.
  2. Feed the hopper one Nether Star to start the process.
  3. Hopper outputs the sand and skulls into the Wither Builder and the Nether Star into an Ender Chest
  4. The wither builder constructs the wither which gets killed and the Impulse Hopper prepares 3 wither skulls and 4 soul sands and sits waiting for a Nether Star before outputting anything.
  5. Ranged collector picks up all the drops and sends them to the ender chest except for the Nether Star which is blacklisted. It instead goes into the impulse hopper which starts the whole thing over and goes on until skulls or sand run out.

musicsoul0142

Jun 20, 2020
With Mob Detector, you can use RedStone until Wither disappears You can send a signal.
Wither Builder is set to "Active without Redstone Signal". to receive a signal from the Mob Detector.
This is all you need to summon one at a time.

(I'm Japanese so I'm using a translation tool. Sorry if it's not natural.)