With regards to [Waterproof Pipes].[Mainly answered]

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I know liquiducts are better in a lot of cases and I do use them in majority of my builds, but right now, there are some space constraints I have to deal with and I want to hide the piping network as well. As good as the liquiducts are, they are pretty bulky in the sense that you can only hide them behind/under other blocks while they take up one full block of space themselves.

As for waterproof pipes (BC), they can be hidden with facades and it is this very feature that draws me to post this question. How well do they function? Example, if I want to pipe out steam from a 36HP steam boiler, what I usually do is stick a liquid tesseract on the steam boiler surrounded by 8 liquiducts (unpowered). If I wanted to achieve the same output, how should I do it with waterproof pioes?

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
For steam, I believe that the answer is "with great difficulty". The boiler has a limit of 2 industrial engines worth of steam per connection, and I think that pipes have this across the lot (they don't support compression of steam like liquiducts do), so you'd need to run a single gold pipe per 2 engines (and gold pipes connect, which make them not as good). There are mods (might be included in FTB by default now) which add the golden stone and golden cobble pipes (i.e. identical, but non-connecting).

In my experience, pipes are fine for standard liquid movement (fuel, water, etc.), but steam is a completely different animal, and needs treating differently. Easiest way by far is direct attachment.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Liquid transfer capacities, as far as I am aware (correct me if I am wrong):

Wooden, cobblestone, stone fluid pipe - 10 mB/t
Golden, emerald fluid pipe - 40 mB/t
Most auto-outputting machines (i.e. steam boiler) - 80 mB/t
Liquiduct connection, passive accepting mode - 80 mB/t
Liquiduct connection, forced extraction mode - 160 mB/t

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the answers, though very disappointing to know that they are that inefficient. But I guess their pro are the gates stuffs as well as facades.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
It's less the fact that fluid pipes are weak, but rather more the fact that liquiducts are ridiculously powerful. They offer far, far more throughput than you'd ever need when operating with liquids. It's only when people got this funny idea to transfer steam long-distance (something Railcraft never really intended when Boilers were introduced back before the advent of liquiducts) that you started to need more than one or two connections. And that's only because steam has ridiculous volume.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
It's only when people got this funny idea to transfer steam long-distance (something Railcraft never really intended when Boilers were introduced back before the advent of liquiducts) that you started to need more than one or two connections. And that's only because steam has ridiculous volume.

It is not even a matter of long distance, if you're going to put your engines anywhere other than stuck right on the boiler itself you have to get the steam out of it. I wouldn't mind putting the engines on the boiler if I didn't need 2 more faces for power and redstone signal.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I do wish CovertJauguar will add his own form of pipes that can handle a large volume of steam and steam only.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019

To adds to this:

GT Machine box with pump modules - over 1 B/t.

I've heard 5 B/t, but haven't tested maximum throughput. Basically the one block will keep a 36 HP steam boiler empty constantly.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I wish that, instead of facades, the TE stuff was made a forge multipart.

forge multipart hasn't been released for very long, give the mod developers some times for them to adapt to the multipart API

I do wish CovertJauguar will add his own form of pipes that can handle a large volume of steam and steam only.

well, you could always just plop the engines straight onto the boiler...

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
forge multipart hasn't been released for very long, give the mod developers some times for them to adapt to the multipart API

well, you could always just plop the engines straight onto the boiler...

It's not only for engines, I wanna route the steam to another room where I can attach the pipes to turbines for EU production. Liquiducts works great but can't be covered and must be buried. I can do ti but it takes up a larger space compared to using facades.

Leenhaart

Jul 29, 2019

This is correct except for extraction mode liquiducts, which work at 100 mB/t.

Reactions: Omicron

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
what pack are you using exactly?
If you are using unleashed 1.1.4, then you have access to plugs, they prevent pipes from attaching, so that you may run several parallel golden pipes in your ceiling if you wish.
I don't remember if you have plugs in the 1.1.3 version tho, hard to remember much of a version one has hardly used. i went for 1.1.4 as soon as it was made available due to the important BOP bugs that got into 1.1.3

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Easy solution: Ender tanks. Just make output and input tanks.. Then place them where you need them. And if you need to transfer a excesive amount of liquids, and the ender tank is not working at the speed you expect them to (like when you use 1 endertank to power 4 boilers.. don't do it..), then just use a TE liquid tesseract :D

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Easy solution: Ender tanks. Just make output and input tanks.. Then place them where you need them. And if you need to transfer a excesive amount of liquids, and the ender tank is not working at the speed you expect them to (like when you use 1 endertank to power 4 boilers.. don't do it..), then just use a TE liquid tesseract :D

It's more of hiding stuffs in a constrained space rather than distance related.

I mean, I can use a tesseract or ender tank but that doesn't solve the issue of needing to burying the piping instead of just covering it with facades. Was hoping the pipes are slightly more efficient than they are right now, that's all. Or TE's liquiducts and/or conduits work with facades. =p

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
It's more of hiding stuffs in a constrained space rather than distance related.

I mean, I can use a tesseract or ender tank but that doesn't solve the issue of needing to burying the piping instead of just covering it with facades. Was hoping the pipes are slightly more efficient than they are right now, that's all. Or TE's liquiducts and/or conduits work with facades. =p

I did a test in unleashed 1.1.4. it takes 8 golden waterproof pipelines to transfer enough steam to run a single turbine at max power. while you could turn your entire ceiling into one large grid of covered pipes, there still is an issue of looks at both of the pipe ends. (not entirely unsolvable, but it is not easy to make it look decent. altho, if you have a double thick celing or floor, you can hide them with ironfacades, and they will at least match the colors of the boiler and turbine

getting all the steam out of a 36HP boiler is a LOT of pipework if you are going to do it with golden liquid pipes.
Denpipes is included in the modpack tho, but the industrial liquid pipe is not, thus we do not have access to the high capacity steam pipe from denlibs as an alternative to liquiducts. this i think is unfortunate, because those pipes were quite cool.