Open Witchery Hobgoblin - trades exiting after a few seconds, can't trade

Brotuulaan

Jan 14, 2018
After having right-clicked to trade with a hobgoblin, the GUI is closing after a few seconds. I can't trade with them, and when I try to put items into the GUI, I keep hitting them because I'm left-clicking while looking at them.

In the meantime, does anyone know of a way to restore their health? This one is now three hitpoints down, and it's my only one that will trade dust for nuggets/ingots. The others all want nuggets for food... :mad:

Last edited:

Brotuulaan

Jan 14, 2018
I wonder if the GUI may be closing because they are aggroing me regularly? I'm standing here next to them, and they used to be fine. But now sometimes they randomly hit me. But it usually takes them a few seconds before they hit me. Does anyone know their aggro mechanics? The available documentation on them is pretty pitiful.

Last edited:

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I wonder if the GUI may be closing because they are aggroing me regularly? I'm standing here next to them, and they used to be fine. But now sometimes they randomly hit me. But it usually takes them a few seconds before they hit me. Does anyone know their aggro mechanics? The available documentation on them is pretty pitiful.
I've come across the same isssues you're having, and unfortnately I don't have any answers :( but, its not just you! I got very frustrated (and actually ended up giving up with them) on Regrowth because of that.

Reactions: Brotuulaan

Brotuulaan

Jan 14, 2018
Thanks for the reply, and I"m sorry to hear you got so frustrated with them too. I hope someone replies with some ideas, because I really want to keep using them. The item for recharging the Witchery altar would really come in handy.

The hobgoblins are a pretty nice mechanic, and it would be a shame for them to be rendered useless because of a stupid glitch like this.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
How are you getting your koboldite dust by the way? Are you manually placing down ores for them to dig with supplied pickaxes?

With regards to the damaged one, I recommend going old school with vanilla brewing and using a Splash Potion of Healing II (awkward potion + glistering melon to make Healing I, then glowstone dust to make Healing II, then gunpowder to make it a splash potion) - throw at the ground near him and that should bring him back up to full health.

Brotuulaan

Jan 14, 2018
Yeah, manually placing ore. I've tried automating with an OpenBlocks vacuum hopper/block placer and an Extra Utilities redstone clock, but the items kept disappearing while I was gone. I don't know if something glitched and the hopper stopped picking them up so they disappeared on the ground or what. Didn't get much dust out of those rotations, either. I might look at other automation options, but for now I'm sticking with manual so I don't just lose all my ore.

And that's a good idea on the splash potion. Have your hobgoblins been aggressive with you? I wonder whether they'll stop after a time or maybe once they're healed...

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Yeah, that makes sense, I never got to trying automation but I had thought about how I might do that. That’s a pain that you were losing material!

When I was playing Regrowth they did get aggressive - in the end I got so frustrated I made new spawn eggs (because you could do that) and spawned new Hobbos.

But: the new pack I’m playing now has Witchery too, and I haven’t got to using hobgoblins yet, but I will need to! :) I might start seeing what I can do with them quite soon, and if I do I’ll let you know how I get in and if I encounter those same issues again.

Reactions: Brotuulaan