Witch Spawener Soul Shard

RedHairdYoda

Jul 29, 2019
So after days and days of looking for a witch I found one. After the grueling battle I one hit the witch will my soul stealer and not I have a tier 5 shard. I setup a great drop kill trap with obsidian pipes and an ender chest to my sorting room. Also I added wireless redstone switch and a chunkloader. once I get back to my base it isnt working. I fly back and they spawn and drop fine. Why is that chunk not staying loaded? and if it is why is the shard not spawning????

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
You get 1-5 kills with the enchant (depends on level) per kill, and you need 1024 for a tier 5, good luck with that.

RedHairdYoda

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you.... and yes you are correct and off point. If you combine soul shards on a anvil you can make a tier 5. (8 level 0 with 1 kill cow shards plus a level 0 witch shard makes a 1024 tier 5 witch shard)......

RedHairdYoda

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks and yes I have the chunk loader 4 blocks above the spawner and it is set to square and 2 - keeping 9 chunks loaded. Also when viewing the lasers it completely covers that area and all parts of the spawing loacation and the pipes and chest below it. Also the recieving area is completely covered also. When I leave the area it only takes about 20 seconds and the items stop flowing in.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks and yes I have the chunk loader 4 blocks above the spawner and it is set to square and 2 - keeping 9 chunks loaded. Also when viewing the lasers it completely covers that area and all parts of the spawing loacation and the pipes and chest below it. Also the recieving area is completely covered also. When I leave the area it only takes about 20 seconds and the items stop flowing in.

that's really strange, could you maybe post a picture of your setup?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
That, my good friend, is what I like to call an exploit :eek:
Yep, you deserve to get a non-functioning spawner with a trick like that. Karma.

I suspect it's because whenever the player is more than a certain distance from a mob, it de-spawns instantly. So the spawner is probably working, but the basic game mob mechanic is removing the mobs as soon as they appear. So you just need to move your set-up to near where you will be some of the time, and it will work while you are passing by.

Hm. If you put a spawner right next to the edge of a chunk-loaded boundary, will mobs spawn in the non-loaded chunk, and not de-spawn because the chunk is not loaded? And, when you go there, will thousands of mobs all instantly fall and die? I doubt it but it would be fun!

Reactions: 99Johnsy99

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
And this is why all my mobs spawners are in the middle of my base with a 100 block drop to kill them. This way I'm usually nearby so it functions when I need it to. Also planning a firebat arena for exp. I thinking a 7x7 room with a tier 5 firebat spawner. :D

Vtecem

Jul 29, 2019
Whether a witch, or whether a wither will no doubt depend on the weather. Whether wither or witch is dependent with which you prefer, witch or wither or rather wither or witch. Whichever, whether its wither or witch, we wonder whether weather will wither away.

EZ2Remember

Jul 29, 2019
Whether a witch, or whether a wither will no doubt depend on the weather. Whether wither or witch is dependent with which you prefer, witch or wither or rather wither or witch. Whichever, whether its wither or witch, we wonder whether weather will wither away.
A poet and he didn't even know it!

crazy_fab

Jul 29, 2019
Just FYI mob spawned by soul shard are not the vanilla entities which lean they won't despawn and wont give soul to new soul shard.
On topic is the setup in a different dimension, I heard that sometime in SSP dimension are not loaded properly if you don't go in first.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Just FYI mob spawned by soul shard are not the vanilla entities which lean they won't despawn and wont give soul to new soul shard.
Yes they absolutely will de-spawn. Unless it's been changed recently, that is. I used that fact to clear the thousands of mobs that I accidentally spawned when I broke the redstone wire that was disabling my spawners. Took me a long time to fly away from the area due to the lag, but it worked. I just flew back at top speed and slapped a redstone torch down before too many fresh ones spawned.

crazy_fab

Jul 29, 2019
Well I don't know for sure but to my understanding despawning mechanic are different for soul shard spawner mob and regular mob. Then that doesn't mean they don't despawn (I hope there is a despawning rule as a safety).

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Well, it's possible that spawned mobs don't despawn if they are close to their spawner, but mine had dropped into water.

Heh, silly autocorrect replaced "despawn" with "despair"!

ArcticDreamz

Jul 29, 2019
Hostile Mobs DO despawn if you are 128 or more blocks away . That is a VANILLA mechanic and it works on ALL hostile mobs .

RedHairdYoda

Jul 29, 2019
Weird....... when I got back home that evening I was being flooded with drops from my farm. when I disconnected I was on top of the farm. I dont know if that had an effect but I have barrels upon barrels of supplies now. I have had it off since. The distance from me is probably the issue. It is about 150-200 blocks from my warehouse. I have other spawner projects to work on so this one will have to be considered complete..... with issues. Off to make Gold and Iron Block farms.