Does my mod sound like a good idea?

• Yes, I'd like to see this get made

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No, it sounds too much like MineChem

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Electro44

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, I am currently in the process of making a mod called Atomz, that much like MineChem will give you the ability to make most items (or as many as I can code for other mod support) into atoms, and then protons, neutrons and electrons, which can be sent to the "Fabrication Chamber" through electromagnetic tubes (which are like wires, but for atoms), and finally into other items, with a certain amount of loss through the process, depending on the amount of tubes. I also have a design for a block that connects to wires, and can restrict certain amounts of protons, neutrons and electrons in different directions, to help with automation. I didn't come here to just rant about it and say that I want someone to make it, I do want to be a part of the making of this mod, but I can only currently make very basic blocks and items, such as ores and possibly weapons, and have somebody who can do guis. I just need somebody to help me and tell me what I'm doing wrong, and possibly help with writing some of the code. I have already posted help topics on the minecraft forums and they were unanswered, so I came here looking for help as I don't know where else I should ask for it.

If you'd like to help just reply and tell me if you can actually help, since I don't really want anyone just saying "Great idea, but I don't want to help, even with just correcting you or teaching you a bit". I have looked at the tutorials on the MC Forge tutorials, and some of them aren't exactly helpful, as don't really say how to fix some bugs, most if them just hand you a load of code and say "fill in the gaps". Also, can you say what you can actually help with, such as: Multiblocks, guis, nether ore spawning (having a lot of problems with this), and TileEntitys (very annoying). I can do textures for it and already have been, although some aren't exactly "great". If you need more info then I can post more info. Thanks for reading and I hope people respond!

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
I dont have enough time or am experienced enough to help :C

I would suggest vswe's courses, really cleared up alot of problems that i had :D http://www.youtube.com/user/VsweGoesMinecraft/videos

Apart from that, it sounds interesting, but there is one piece of advice i would suggest: Go for fun, not real life equivalence, you play games for fun and not it being 100% the same as real life. (We see this too often)

Electro44

Jul 29, 2019
There is going to be fun stuff in it, I didn't realise I hadn't actually wrote any of that in the post :p Like I would love it to have lasers that can turn things into other things, and other things since I still haven't thought of all the things I will eventually, also thanks for that Vswe tutorials link, I saw someone saying they watched that a while ago, but I forgot about it, you just reminded me :D

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
UU matter, except en masse.

I love UU.

I will prolly love this too.

Oh, and make sure to make a dimension full of antimatter, and an antimatter collector for it, and an antimatter reactor to destroy those items ;).

Electro44

Jul 29, 2019
I definately like the antimatter, maybe not the ENTIRE ANTIMATTER DIMENSION as thats just a bit crazy :p But antimatter would be pretty cool, like maybe an antimatter cannon that completely obliterates anything the shots hit, but would require a while to make the antimatter. I do have plans for something like the antimatter collection thingy ;) but with atoms, so you can basically slowly make create things from nothing, sorta like EE2 energy collectors, but slower :D

Darth Sith

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like a nice idea ^.^, I'll help you after I finish my java course and once we can see you are going to really try to make this a great mod (Nobody likes a bad mod).

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
This is where you're going to have problems. Finding someone to texture for you isn't so much of a problem as many people love doing that kind of thing and would love being involved in the creation of a new mod, but finding someone to code for you is where you're going to run into issues. People don't just decide one day "Hey, I wanna make someone else's mod for them without any kind of pay and hardly any creative control." It just doesn't happen. If you really want to make this mod, then you're basically going to have to learn to program on your own. If you get the basics of Java down, there are tons of good tutorials for you to learn how to mod check out Pahimar's Let's mod and Vswe's Summer Courses (which has 41 hours of video).

I'm not trying to say your idea is terrible, or that you're never going to make this. I'm just being realistic in saying that you're going to have to do the work on this one. People aren't going to do it for you.
I had to go hunt myself down just to quote me.

This doesn't apply to you exactly, but a lot of people ask other's for help. Textures/GUIs are one thing, but most people with real modding experience are out making their mod. Your best chances of actually accomplishing this are the two links in the description or Forge IRC. You'll get quite a bit of help from the both of them. They won't give you a word for word on how to do it but you'll get a nice shove in the right direction. Or maybe off a cliff, who knows.

You do have a really good mod idea though, I would encourage you to go for it and do the best you can. Take stabs at what you know you can do so you at least get some progress being made. Keeps moral up. S*** gets done, and a reason not to just drop it and run away. Never give up, and keep moving forward (Inspirational music). People will help you if you make the effort first.

Electro44

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for that, I do want to use Pahimar's series but he hasn't really got to anything but simple things currently, so I'm waiting for it to get a bit more useful. I think I'll watch vswe's series soon, and if it's 41 hours long then I'll definitely take a while to watch it :D I'm glad people think it's a good idea though.

Electro44

Jul 29, 2019
Can't it help with TileEntitys? What about the aludel and glass bell, they need TileEntitys don't they? Also, I might take a look for the GUIs as I have no idea how to code em, and I'm using minaliens multiblocks tutorial for my multiblocks

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
*shrugs*
Tile entities are a bit more complicated and my mod will revolve around getting them right, so i decided to watch vswe's tutorials.
Its not simple, there is tile entity, container and gui for each block you want to have a gui.
So yeah..... i suggest vswe's tutorials on that......

I havent got around to multiblocks yet.

Electro44

Jul 29, 2019
Me neither to be quite honest, the tutorials on the MC forge website aren't very useful as I don't know what to replace. Minalien goes through multiblocks quite well but TileEntitys are just annoying

petredy

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, I like the idea and would love to help you. I mod forge since about 1 year and know how frustrating the starting can be. I can help you with all your ideas specially TileEntities, MultiBlocks and so on. Add me on skype (peter.redinger) and then we can talk about your ideas and how i can help you.

Electro44

Jul 29, 2019
I'll consider it, I'll ask the other 2 guys who are helping me first though. And thanks to the other people who said about Vswe's courses, I'm gonna take them at some point and hopefully that'll help me out in the long run

Electro44

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like a nice idea ^.^, I'll help you after I finish my java course and once we can see you are going to really try to make this a great mod (Nobody likes a bad mod).

Don't worry I am gonna try darth :p[DOUBLEPOST=1378655303][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm currently doing Vswe's course, and i've finished the first half of lecture 1 woohoo, I can make a thing!
Code:
import java.util.Scanner;

public class Test{

public static void main(String[] args) {
    System.out.println("Please enter two numbers");

Scanner myScanner = new Scanner(System.in);

System.out.println("The answer is");
    System.out.println(myScanner.nextInt() + myScanner.nextInt());

}

}
Woot

Darth Sith

Jul 29, 2019
That's the exact lesson I'm on and I just got finish. O.O
Don't worry I am gonna try darth :p[DOUBLEPOST=1378655303][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm currently doing Vswe's course, and i've finished the first half of lecture 1 woohoo, I can make a thing!
Code:
import java.util.Scanner;

public class Test{

public static void main(String[] args) {
    System.out.println("Please enter two numbers");

Scanner myScanner = new Scanner(System.in);

System.out.println("The answer is");
    System.out.println(myScanner.nextInt() + myScanner.nextInt());

}

}
Woot

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I have just started out with the VSWE courses. They are good aren't they! Good luck with your cool sounding mod Electro44