Will this hardware handle Monster well?

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
Yes it can. However that is based on a new map and not a month old map. It also depends on many factors. But it can
If you ℗ regenerate the map there is no need for an SSD, and as said above you are smoking something that CPU isn't going to do 20 let alone 10. I have a i7 3930k overclocked to 4.32 GHZ and cooled very well and it cries when 40 are on and I'd say that it's more then 50 times as powerful as that amd one mentioned above.

Redruzerkruzer

Jul 29, 2019
SSDs are just overall better. Without a semi-decent HDD, even a pregenerated map can lower the tps. I use Intel Xeon E3 1245v2 without overclocking, and it runs 60 people just fine. I have also used that cpu (Have it in 2 computers next to me), it will run 20 if certain precautions are done. Anymore then 20 and there will be issues.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
SSDs are just overall better. Without a semi-decent HDD, even a pregenerated map can lower the tps. I use Intel Xeon E3 1245v2 without overclocking, and it runs 60 people just fine. I have also used that cpu (Have it in 2 computers next to me), it will run 20 if certain precautions are done. Anymore then 20 and there will be issues.
The 3930k overclocked handles in experience as of 6 hours ago, 70 people on monster without a hitch. V 1.1.0

And a map will not lag if pregenerated no matter if you have a HDD or SDD, sure SDDs are better but not super godlike better. Raid 0 HDDs with perform almost as well as a mid grade SSD even if they are only 7200 rpm.

If a pregenerated map has lag it's not the HD.

Back on topic for that low amount of people any drive will do just fine unless everybody ddecided to get a randomtp plugin and spam teleport everywhere beyond the pregenerated area.

TehAgent

Jul 29, 2019
Im running a 4-5 man server on this:

AMD Phenom II x4 B55
8GB Crucial Ballistix 1333mhz
Seagate Barracude 500Gb 7200.11
GeForce GT 440
W7 64

Not only does it run the server, but it runs an instance of FTB Ultimate with TreeCap added at the same time. 4 players at once dont even make it sweat, though we do not have tons of machines running yet. There are a few basic ones in operation, but thats it. As smooth and as little CPU usage it sees now, I doubt we will have problems in the future.

My guess would be the Athlon II would suit your needs as long as you dont plan on expanding beyond 6-8 players, (8 would probably make the Athlon II sad) keep the crazy contraptions down and the machine is dedicated to ONLY being a server. 64 bit OS and Java will be a requirement though. All of those are big IFs. Even so it is probably stretching the poor old Athlon II to its max. (My kids do have Regor 270s and I clocked them both at 3.7ghz; they still play modern titles including BF4 just fine)

That said, I would check out Newegg's Refurbished sections. They have a fair amount of C2D machines, 3.0ghz. 4GB RAM + 64 Bit OS's up for grabs. They run in the 200$ range most of the time.

Edit: One example

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883280182

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanEsh

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
So the core 2 duo is equivalent or better than the AMD processor in the OP?
I don't know squat about AMD procs. Thanks!

TehAgent

Jul 29, 2019
So the core 2 duo is equivalent or better than the AMD processor in the OP?
I don't know squat about AMD procs. Thanks!

The C2Ds perform ever so slightly better at the same clock speeds. Its not really a big difference; and you may not notice anything at all if you were to swap between the two. The Intels do have a bigger cache which means a lot when you run a server, thats why I suggested those instead. Im am AMD guy now after years of Intel; despite the drawbacks of the latest architecture.

The larger cache in the C2Ds will help out when running a MC server. Most other cases its wouldnt really matter; both are old but solid CPUs.

Edit: Oh - and the C2D machines already have more RAM + the 64bit OS; two more reasons why i pointed them out.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
A really good minecraft CPU arguably the best expessially for the budget costs are any E3 v2 or v3 they have the best single threaded performance you can get from intel server processors.

Edit- somebody make minecraft run on multiple cores so we can use the xeon phi co processors, 61 cores of awesome!

TehAgent

Jul 29, 2019
A really good minecraft CPU arguably the best expessially for the budget costs are any E3 v2 or v3 they have the best single threaded performance you can get from intel server processors.

Edit- somebody make minecraft run on multiple cores so we can use the xeon phi co processors, 61 cores of awesome!

I think the OP is looking at buying an already-built machine on a super tight budget.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, I'll keep watching refurb deals. They're out there and I'm in no hurry. I might build my own instead, but finding all the bits for that is a PITA that I prefer to avoid.

amunao

Jul 29, 2019
True, I'm Sure Newegg will have most of the parts you will require, that's if you don't mind there slow delivery.

TehAgent

Jul 29, 2019
I have put together a system that will work within your budget.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3qnWF[DOUBLEPOST=1397306096][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yah though he is not going to get the specs that is needed to run a FTB Server from a pre build system under $300

For 4 people, yes he will. Absolutely so. Maybe not 10 players with tons of machines running.

As the OP says he will only host 3-4 at a time, it will be perfectly fine. The machine will be dedicated solely to running a server for no more than 4 people. He could, in fact, run a 4 man server on less than that.

Please take the time to read the entire post and get all of the information you need to make these sorts of statements. Not to mention a C2D at lower clock speeds far outperforms that A4-4000...roughly 35% better. If you think the C2D wont do the job, I am confused as to why you would suggest a CPU that has even less horsepower.

I mean no insult here, but I really dont think you know what you are talking about in this particular instance. Im sure you want to help, but lets not send this man off on a journey he doesnt need to take with misinformation.

Edit: looks like you just ripped off this post from about 8-9 months ago and used it to suggest a server build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/ESz

I will refer our OP to this article, and caution him to leave plenty of overhead as FTB uses a bit more resources than your typical MC server. (which in addition to using actual experience, I have done when making my recommendations)

I will also caution OP to research in several places and compare recommendations - including my own - to other replies. The Internet is a great place to get help, or get screwed by someone who doesnt know but pretends to know. A lot of people are like car salesmen; they want to sell you something more than what want and need just because.

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Server/Requirements/Server

Last edited: