Will there be more redpower-generators?

Kruppi

Jul 29, 2019
As Eloraam doesn't allow converters... will there be at least a few more generators than solar panels and thermal generators? At least a coal-generator would be usefull. Big machine-complexes need very huge solar arrays and the thermal generators aren't small either.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
As Eloraam doesn't allow converters... will there be at least a few more generators than solar panels and thermal generators? At least a coal-generator would be usefull. Big machine-complexes need very huge solar arrays and the thermal generators aren't small either.

we have not one way of knowing this, besides eloraam giving some sneak peeks, which she rarely does.
so the answer for now is... no.

Zmaster27

Jul 29, 2019
no offense to Elo, I wouldnt hold my breath. it will update when it updates and we will know then

Kruppi

Jul 29, 2019
no offense to Elo, I wouldnt hold my breath. it will update when it updates and we will know then
That wasn't a ironic or rhetorical question. I am asking how often it get's usally updated or how often it got updated the last year. Every month? Every year?

Zmaster27

Jul 29, 2019
umm.. it was updated for 1.2.5, then it didnt get updated until 1.4.5 so it could be anywhere from 1 month like most other mods, and 6 monthswhich is how long 1.2.5 to 1.4.5 took, going to guess closer to 1-3 months though

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
She is very busy and doesnt have a lot of time to update the mod. Its full of errors right now and its not being updated. I wouldnt hold your breath on this one.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
You forgot to add in that there already exists a Windmill for Redpower energy generation as well, so that's three types of energy generation, each with it's advantages and disadvantages. There aren't many redpower machines that require a lot of power, though, so unless Eloraam adds in some new machines that require more power, i don't think any new energy generation mechanics are going to be added anytime soon.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I doubt that Redpower will ever get fuel-based generators. It's just not Eloraam's style, it seems.
Plus she took unpaid time off of work for the last major update. Most of the mod developers are still working hard for the latest update. I suppose the best gauge of how often RP gets updates is to determine how often Mojang makes drastic updates to vanilla. Since Red Power is full of redstone logic devices and MC 1.5 is a huge update to redstone, AND there was no way for the mod developers to determine the solid build of 1.5 due to extreme changes in every snapshot; I'd guess it'll be a while most likely.

But it'll get there and when it does it'll be awesome sauce with cheese baby! Yeah!

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I care as much as anyone about Redpower, but this style of "expression of concern", to put it kindly, won't help. She's back on Redpower development now, so let's judge by actions. If there is no new Redpower when there are enough mods updated to make a 1.5 pack worthwhile, then maybe it will be dropped. But a lot of people didn't consider FTB "ready" until it had Redpower, and I'm in that camp.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Since Red Power is full of redstone logic devices and MC 1.5 is a huge update to redstone, AND there was no way for the mod developers to determine the solid build of 1.5 due to extreme changes in every snapshot; I'd guess it'll be a while most likely.

That's actually a misconception.

Yes, redstone was bugfixed a whole lot. But, see: Redpower doesn't actually depend on redstone. It uses red allow wire and its derivates, which is Eloraam's own code. If anything, this makes Redpower remarkably independent from the changes. Potentially there are some changes in the way the redstone signal is passed from one block/carrier to another, or somesuch, but that's hardly anything that requires serious work. It's probably something she can go through in an hour or two, and whether she actually needs to fix something isn't even guaranteed.

Now, the Redstone Update brought quite a few changes feature-wise. For starters, the analog nature of the redstone signal (where signal strength matters). This is what Eloraam can (but does not have to) spend a lot of time on. Previously red alloy wire was just redstone that could go up walls and lasted 256 instead of 16 blocks; pure convenience features. But now with signal strength, the vastly extended range becomes a game mechanic concern. If Eloraam wanted red alloy wire to implement signal strength (which it currently does not do), then she'll have to rethink the whole concept of it and everything that depends on it.

But then again, this is a can do, not a must do like the huge 1.3 rewrite was.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
It's very well possible that Redpower won't update for 1.5. Mojang is developing a new mod API for 1.6 that will probably make it easier for modders to update their mods for the game. If it ends up being too complicated to update RP for 1.5, it's possible Eloraam chooses to wait for that update...

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The mod API was planned for 1.2 and 1.3 and 1.4 and 1.5 as well.

It'll come when it's ready, but I won't believe any predictions until it actually arrives :p

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019

Actually redpower works well with signal strength and has really excellent support for normal redstone in comparison to other mods, for example things like BC gates or IC2 splitter cable connect to redstone like other piece of redstone dust, completely screwing up mechanics, where redpower does everything as expected. RP2 redstone thingies (wire, cable, redstone tube) preserve signal decay mechanics, if you give signal of strength 12 it will only go through 12 thingies. It just takes more strength from initial signal source (256). The only issue is that redpower wire can't output redstone signals to redstone dust with lesser strength then 16 but it will probably change now with addition of comparators.

Edit: here is how I use signal strength decay to correctly postion frame machine, this way it is easily extensible without need for complicated logic, like almost everything in my world unfinished, but works: http://imgur.com/a/BLpSi

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
The mod API was planned for 1.2 and 1.3 and 1.4 and 1.5 as well.

It'll come when it's ready, but I won't believe any predictions until it actually arrives :p

No api was planned for no 1.2-1.5, it was planned for when minecraft is bug free, thats why they did the bug tracker and stuff.

Maldroth

Jul 29, 2019
The redstone changes shouldn't affect the mod that much it's the rendering changes that are making it more work to update the mods at this point. I know a few of the developers are bashing out the errors now. With Microblocks each having different textures there are a ton of items that Redpower adds so each one will have to have the texture changed to meet the new structure. Based on her last tweet she is working on it full time again so I assume it will be ready when it's ready. It does sound like she has bug fixes and an update to 1.5 in the works.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Redpower updates:

Update to the minecraft current version, bugfix and add 2-3 new items and 20 more bugs.
Next update: Update to the minecraft current version, fix the 20 bugs of the last version, add 2-3 items and 20 more bugs.
Next update: Update to the minecraft current version, fix the 20 bugs of the last version, add 2-3 items and 20 more bugs.

Like that till the end of minecraft.