Will low end pcs be able to run larger packs if they are hosted on a server?

D

DireChyymeras

The title says it all. My brother has a 4gb ram pc but with a decent processor and graphics card. Will hosting him on a server alleviate the lack of RAM? Any help would be appreciated

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Given the overall number of variables, the seemingly random performance of MC- let alone modded MC- the best thing to do is try it and see. (join a public server or two).
For me- on occasion I have gained a noticeable boost in performance compared to SSP.​

I only have 4 gig myself, on a laptop over 4 years old with overheating issues. You can make a fairly big improvement cranking down all the graphics options, culling background processes/programs and using the right version of Java. Experimenting with optimisation mods like Optifine or Fastcraft have gained mixed results in the community, but have helped me more then hindered.

elcid534

Jul 29, 2019
it is fairly dependent on how big the mod-pack, the more mods the more likely Optifine and Fastcraft might screw up (although Fastcraft is surprisingly stable, whereas Optifine has issues with certain popular mods (Mekanism being one, Stacks on Stacks, and generally most mod-packs don't support using Optifine.) and 4 gig of ram is a bit on the low side, but shouldn't be too bad unless you playing absolutely massive mod-packs.

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
Personally I would not even try with 4GB. RAM is cheap-ish and probably will give performance boost for other things also.