Wiki Links....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
EDIT: Changed this post :D Law is faster than me.

2nd EDIT: Something usefull will be added here, I promise o_O

3rd EDIT: As promised above, here you go :p:

wikipedia-cat.jpg

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
Reactions: QueWhat

ScottWears

Jul 29, 2019
As am I, in my free time, trying to find better and better guides for the topic.

When it's good enough, it goes on. I just can't justify putting it in the list at this point, and guilt won't change that.

The whole FTB team gives allot of their free time to help make something for the community... I find your comments offensive.Like my granny always said ..If you have nothing good to say then don't say anything. Nobody is trying to guilt you into anything we have faith in the wiki team and what they are doing.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
I just can't justify putting it in the list at this point, and guilt won't change that.

I think you need to step back and rethink some things.
What i said was for information reasons and not to try and guilt you into doing something you don't want to. That isn't who i am nor will be so.
This is the 2nd time i have said something to you and you went the completely wrong way about it.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Does not pass completeness check to be added to the topic I maintain, so like the portal wiki, I'll just reply to myself and hold it until latter.

Of course it doesn't it isn't finished yet or even linked to by anywhere on our sites, law was just saying it will be there when its done

Reactions: Lawbroken

FunshineX

Jul 29, 2019
These initial few weeks have been mostly planning and testing, so that once we do start to add content, everything is consistent in regards to information presented.

We do not have plans to make it an open wiki at this time. This type of information we feel is best presented with structure and organization. Call it a knowledge base if that's what you think it is, but having an open wiki where people can create any article they want and add any data they want, it would get out of hand very fast and I'd spend most of my time monitoring changes instead of producing content.

Although not complete, the link is freely available so browse it at your leisure. Just take it with a grain of salt that the appearance of its current state doesn't reflect our vision for the end product.

I've just put some TC3 !SPOILER ALERT! info up last night that some may find useful :)

Once you see the wiki link in the navigation on the main FTB site, you can then assume its ready for you to use

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
These initial few weeks have been mostly planning and testing, so that once we do start to add content, everything is consistent in regards to information presented.

We do not have plans to make it an open wiki at this time. This type of information we feel is best presented with structure and organization. Call it a knowledge base if that's what you think it is, but having an open wiki where people can create any article they want and add any data they want, it would get out of hand very fast and I'd spend most of my time monitoring changes instead of producing content.

Although not complete, the link is freely available so browse it at your leisure. Just take it with a grain of salt that the appearance of its current state doesn't reflect our vision for the end product.

I've just put some TC3 !SPOILER ALERT! info up last night that some may find useful :)

Once you see the wiki link in the navigation on the main FTB site, you can then assume its ready for you to use
Thanks for the information and update FunshineX, looking forward to it.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
OK. :)

The structure and organization looks great, BTW. Clean and clear. You guys are doing a great job.

Maybe in the long run your team will feel like you've gotten the wiki as far as you are planning to go with it, and you'll feel more comfortable about opening it up to the rest of us.

FYI: Mostly what I'm worried about missing (not the only thing) by excluding players is use cases. I really enjoyed randomly browsing the Tekkit wikis when I played that. Some of it is crap, and some of it is in-depth explanations of somebody's detailed system, or unexpected ways of using blocks. Those "Oh, wow, I never thought of that" moments are worth wading through the occasional garbage.

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
FYI: Mostly what I'm worried about missing (not the only thing) by excluding players is use cases. I really enjoyed randomly browsing the Tekkit wikis when I played that. Some of it is crap, and some of it is in-depth explanations of somebody's detailed system, or unexpected ways of using blocks. Those "Oh, wow, I never thought of that" moments are worth wading through the occasional garbage.

Well the forums really serve that purpose here. While some of those crazy set-ups can be interesting, we don't want new users to feel like "so-and-so's geothermal set-up is the only way to do it, because it's the one on the wiki." Anyone can post a thread on the forums here about a great setup, and get dynamic feedback. We will have basic tutorials on the wiki for more complex concepts, but we really want to avoid "telling the user how to play." :)

These forums have what feels like a unique quality to them. I don't know anywhere else where someone can post a great set-up, and within a day, four or five other people have responded with how to do the same basic thing in drastically different and awesome ways. It's pretty awesome, and I don't think The Other Modpack's wiki can compare. :)

Reactions: QueWhat and Vauthil

Winter_11

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible for there to be a page inside of one of the Wiki pages that people could edit and share ideas on that exact topic, ie have a page on how to set up a basic nuclear reactor then maybe a spoiler, expandable thingy were people can add their ideas and stuff? Just a suggestion and yea the forums are great for this but sometimes it can get pretty hard to find some topics.

Thanks for the links by the way :)

ScottWears

Jul 29, 2019
These forums have what feels like a unique quality to them. I don't know anywhere else where someone can post a great set-up, and within a day, four or five other people have responded with how to do the same basic thing in drastically different and awesome ways. It's pretty awesome, and I don't think The Other Modpack's wiki can compare. :)

I agree here ... I have seen server thread in my section (general) where this has happened ... and for the most part the community has stay civil. no one with mine is better than yours syndrome. just a great sharing of ideas

enoch

Jul 29, 2019
Right now, we're working on the 'This is X' and 'This is how X works,' so that people get a firm basis on each machine or item. We do have some examples to demonstrate how GUIs are configured or how to work a specific machine. Eventually I think we may have some sample optimal machine automation setups after we get all the base content out.

Status
Not open for further replies.