Wicked Fast Tree Farm Design (ideas)

FaTal Cubez

Jul 29, 2019
WAIT. Before you put any replies onto the thread about MFR harvesters, let me explain my restrictions on the tree farm.

Restrictions
1. Quarries are banned in the overworld. Ender quarries are allowed, but don't mine trees anyways.
2. FTB Direwolf20 1.6.4 pack (check out the mods for that).
3. Harvesters got a HUGE nerf due to massive server lag they were causing (understandable).
4. Must be fast. More for overkill reasons, but I'll need lots of wood for frames (bees).

Ideas
Here are some ideas that I have (uncompleted thoughts really) that I had. Most of these ideas would be fast enough, but have some flaws in terms of full automation.

Mining Well: This idea uses the mining well to mine a 1x1 hole down until it hits lava that is put underneath the dirt for where the sapling is grown. This will cause it to stop mining when it reaches the lava. Gate is put on a stone pipe to signal that the mining well is finished. The well is then destroyed, tree replanted and grown, then put back down. Rinse and repeat.

Problems: Hard to automate the mining well getting destroyed on a timer. Not sure if over time the redstone timing will get screwed up messing up the farm. Also, saplings are a big issue. Tried a second well for saplings, but it doesn't get enough and is too much of a pain to automate.

Lumber Axe: This idea would be the fastest, but probably the hardest to automate. The idea is to use an autonomous activator to force a left click with the axe chopping down the entire tree. Obsidian pipes can pick up the logs. Can support 2x2 jungle trees.

Problems: The biggest problem is automating the lumber axe. I wouldn't mind if it was semi-auto because those things last for a good bit, but I'm not entirely sure if you could automate TC tool creation even with an ME system and all the resources available. Also, saplings again. The lumber axe can only get the wood, so you would have to wait for the leaves to break and get at least 4 saplings before you grew another tree.

If I think of any more ideas, I will certainly post them. If you guys have any suggestions on your own ideas then that would be great. Please keep in mind ALL of the restrictions. And if I ever get a working tree farm that is good (finished design) I will probably upload a video to youtube or at least post the idea in depth with pictures on a new thread. :D

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Problems: The biggest problem is automating the lumber axe.

there is no problem in automation of lumber axe. energetic infuser, few itemducts with servos, 1-2 axes and you're set.
you can use itemduct's ability to check NBT data in order to automatically send axe for recharge and back in business.
for wood and sapling drops you're better of with openblock's void hopper.
i'm not sure about activator not breaking saplings before they drop though, does high aim level fix that?

and there are always golems...

Reactions: RedBoss

FaTal Cubez

Jul 29, 2019
there is no problem in automation of lumber axe. energetic infuser, few itemducts with servos, 1-2 axes and you're set.
you can use itemduct's ability to check NBT data in order to automatically send axe for recharge and back in business.
for wood and sapling drops you're better of with openblock's void hopper.
i'm not sure about activator not breaking saplings before they drop though, does high aim level fix that?

and there are always golems...
Interesting! I never considered using an electric lumber axe that is rechargeable. What I was saying with the activator is that a lumber axe only breaks the wood, so if the next tree grows instantly, the leaves would have no time to break so no saplings would be dropped. I guess I would just have to put a pause, or have a separate tree farm just used for getting saplings. I will try to put a working model in place using your ideas.

One last thing though. What trees are 2x2 that can grow with a block right next to them? I know jungle trees need some space to grow so an autonomous activator wouldn't be very convenient in that situation. Anyways, thank you for the idea! :D

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Cobalt head, Obsidian plate, Thaumium Rod, with paper binding should give you a Reinforced III axe with 5 Modifiers. Add at minimum two modifiers and put 7 Obsidian plates on it to make it Reinforced X and indestructible.

Two (or three) autonomous activators:
-- One left clicking the bottom log on a high redstone signal.
-- One Right clicking with Bonemeal on a low redstone signal.

I made a vanilla redstone contraption that can tell when the sapling has grown and the wood exists in it's place.
upload_2014-7-26_19-20-20.png
upload_2014-7-26_19-23-11.png
yeah, i used dirt. still works.

Use an MFR planter for the saplings, but you only need it to plant 4 so block off some of the spots or just don't have dirt there. The machine should be able to work about as fast as the lumber axe can cut down wood.

Attachments

• upload_2014-7-26_19-22-33.png
    upload_2014-7-26_19-22-33.png
    552.5 KB · Views: 69

FaTal Cubez

Jul 29, 2019
Cobalt head, Obsidian plate, Thaumium Rod, with paper binding should give you a Reinforced III axe with 5 Modifiers. Add at minimum two modifiers and put 7 Obsidian plates on it to make it Reinforced X and indestructible.

Two (or three) autonomous activators:
-- One left clicking the bottom log on a high redstone signal.
-- One Right clicking with Bonemeal on a low redstone signal.

I made a vanilla redstone contraption that can tell when the sapling has grown and the wood exists in it's place.
View attachment 12208yeah, i used dirt. still works.

Use an MFR planter for the saplings, but you only need it to plant 4 so block off some of the spots or just don't have dirt there. The machine should be able to work about as fast as the lumber axe can cut down wood.
I really like that you provided me with the exact recipe for the lumber axe! This seems like the option I'm sticking to, as golems seem like a pain in the ass and won't be fast enough. The last issue I STILL have, is saplings. The lumber axe will cut down the tree really fast, and so I envision tree getting cut down, instantly getting regrown and cut down again. This doesn't leave much time for saplings to fall considering that you would still need 4 saplings per tree. Any ideas on this?

One more thing. What tree type would you recommend? Jungle trees don't grow with any blocks directly next to the sapling so the autonomous activator wouldn't work in conjunction with a jungle tree farm.

FaTal Cubez

Jul 29, 2019
Oak (decent amount of wood, and apples)
Or use a remote method of applying fertiliser/boosting growth.​
I would prefer a taller tree or a 2x2 tree just so that less fertilizer and saplings are required per tree growth. As well as the fact that I would only need 1 Lumber Axe if the tree were taller or 2x2 rather than having many trees grow.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
a long time ago, there was a youtuber named Etho that used Thaumcraft's Arcane Bore set in the air pointed down at a base for a planted 4x4 tree...

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
If you've got RotaryCraft, you can use the woodcutter its got and combine that with a fertilizer from the same mod to make the sapling(s) grow extra fast, since it causes more growth ticks. The only real downside is that you'd need a constant supply of bonemeal for the fertilizer, but that's easily handled by a basic skeleton farm or Magical Crops skeleton plants.

FaTal Cubez

Jul 29, 2019
a long time ago, there was a youtuber named Etho that used Thaumcraft's Arcane Bore set in the air pointed down at a base for a planted 4x4 tree...
I saw that video. But I'm pretty sure even he admits that it was a poorly thought idea for a realistic tree farm. Very creative, but very inconvenient. Also, on just about all servers Arcane Bore is banned because of griefing purposes. I think it bypasses towny, not sure though.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
does dw pack include openblocks? if it does, the block detector can be used to detect specifically for wood logs. once its there, run a redstone line to the autonomous activator and have it only chop when redstone signal is present. use vacuum hoppers (also from openblocks) to collect all the drops. if you're going for charcoal production, i believe you can craft a tico lumberaxe with the fire ability to auto cook the wood into charcoal. use extra utils transfer node/pipes with speed upgrades to sweep up large amounts of drops quickly

alternative to collect drops: ae transfer planes. make a floor of them underneath the farm, they will collect anything that touches them. or mfr conveyor belts...have them configured so they channel drops to an obsidian pipe, single ae transfer plane, mfr collector, open blocks collector, vanilla hopper...run wild with it.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
I really like that you provided me with the exact recipe for the lumber axe! This seems like the option I'm sticking to, as golems seem like a pain in the ass and won't be fast enough. The last issue I STILL have, is saplings. The lumber axe will cut down the tree really fast, and so I envision tree getting cut down, instantly getting regrown and cut down again. This doesn't leave much time for saplings to fall considering that you would still need 4 saplings per tree. Any ideas on this?

One more thing. What tree type would you recommend? Jungle trees don't grow with any blocks directly next to the sapling so the autonomous activator wouldn't work in conjunction with a jungle tree farm.
Initially, I wanted to use this type of design for TC Greatwood trees, but not all greatwood's top wood block has a leaf block on it. So, not all greatwoods can be cut down with the lumber axe. You might need to get a good forestry tree.

Kocyk

Jul 29, 2019
yeah, and the weirdest part is that Forest-ry is quite unpopular when it comes to tree farming.

I use it as a primary source of wood.

Breed sequoia tree with faster maturation. 5-10 stacks of wood from every tree.

Only problem is that forestry farms convert vanilla trees into forestry versions. And that means tons of butterflies spawning.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, did I mention RoC's woodcutter is enchantable? Because it can totally be enchanted. Right-click it with an infinity book, and it'll replant the tree regardless of whether or not it actually got a sapling from it. Do the same with an efficiency book, and it'll cut even faster.