Why is lead always stalking silver?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Seriously, deposits of silver ore can't seem to go anywhere without creepy lead creepily creeping along behind it.

I mean can't lead just hang round by itself? Why has it always gotta be perving up to my nice clean innocent silver veins?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
If it's really bothering you, you could always change it by editing the COFHcore json files. Haven't you noticed Ferrous Ore "perving up" your Iron deposits as well?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
If it's really bothering you, you could always change it by editing the COFHcore json files. Haven't you noticed Ferrous Ore "perving up" your Iron deposits as well?

Nope, I normally see ferrous hanging around all by itself. In fact lead and silver seem to be the only creepy couple in worldgen, everything else prefers its' personal space.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I think this is a thing that has always been around every since Factorization was a tech mod for every pack.
Galena Ore was smelted in the Sag Furnace (I think was the name... you know... the one with 2 outputs) to get Silver and Lead. And I'd assume seeing as Thermal Expansion came after Fz, they thought they'd keep the trend (probably why Silver Ore in the pulverizer has a chance to give Lead Dust, and Lead Ore gives Silver Dust).
Which is probably also the reason that Copper Ore is orange in almost every mod, even though copper that has been exposed to air for a while would be green.

Reactions: PierceSG

Photoloss

Jul 29, 2019
Which is probably also the reason that Copper Ore is orange in almost every mod, even though copper that has been exposed to air for a while would be green.
IC2 also had orange copper and there are deposits of pure copper IRL. The main problem is that most ores are varying shades of grey, and as you note oxides and sulfates rarely are the same colour as the pure metal.
Especially in large modpacks with tons of fictional substances being able to identify materials quickly is more important than realism. Doesn't excuse vanilla iron ore resembling neither rust nor ingame iron though.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
It's a nice touch of realism.

Although if we wanted to get anal about it, pulverising nickel ores should get you platinum sulphates that need further processing to make the pure metal.

Oh and the drop rate would be like 0.000005% or something daft