Why is it so hard to find a decent server?

M

MrThePlague_

I've been playing solo for a while. Decided a week ago to try and find a server with people on it to have fun with. So far it's been nothing but trolls and idiots :-/

Is it really so hard to find a group of adults that enjoy playing the game without griefing, causing serious game lag for others, and overall being a bunch of asshats?

Tonight alone, I've tried 5 open servers, the most recent being Brierie Servers, where someone was following me around pouring lava on me and laughing. Everyone was like "heh heh heh that's funny don't be mad bro it's not like he put lava on you IRL"

I'm trying to get away from toxic communities and seems the internet is just littered with them everywhere :(

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I've tried 5 open servers
What are your experiences with other server types? I tended to gravitate towards small to medium-small whitelisted servers or similar. The smaller community means that they tend to be careful to ban those that can't follow rules. It also means less people are actually on the server at any one time though. So the "socializing" might be to a little low to non-existent.

I did try two different open servers. They were some of the more massive server populations out their. One turned out to be a lot of PVP mini games. Which isn't usually something I spend much time on. I didn't see any rude chat on either one though. And the experience was rather pleasant.

I haven't really spent a lot of time on online servers though. Possibly a handful of months out all the years I have been playing Minecraft. I have someone to play with on a semi regular basis though. That makes up for the fact I don't play online. My little brother wishes I would play other games to though. He really misses playing Borderlands.

I think the only thing I might recommend is researching servers and look for the ones that emphasize rules and, especially, community.

(spell check is awesome. The fact it doesn't recognize a lot of specialized language doesn't help though. I have a thing about erasing the red underlines and I can't. Do to the dictionary not recognizing the word.)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say give up on smp. If you manage to find a server with mature folks the server ends up having asinine rules and restrictions.

Just consider yourself lucky you aren't Australian. It's slim pickins for Vanilla servers, for modded MC it's even worse as the player base is fractured by the variety of packs.
The last server I went to was good but they set up way too many different pack servers meaning the playerbase was way smaller.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Acredium

Jul 29, 2019
Welcome to online games. I think every game with multiplayer mode suffers these same problems. The best thing you can do is find like minded people and join a small whitelisted server, or host your own.

I'm always on the look for a server with a small group that works together, and not end up building their own bases 1000's of blocks apart. Hosted my own server with people I met here and it was great for a couple of months. Joined some other people who wanted the same but these either got deserted pretty quick or just lived up to their promise. So now I'm back on the search. This also gives me a nice break from Minecraft so I don' burn out on it ;)

So quick recap, it can be a long search to find what suits you best. But I believe there is a perfect situation for all of us .... that sounds way to optimistic :)

M

MrThePlague_

To answer DeathofTime's question, I tried servers listed on this website and used Google-Fu to find others. I'm guessing the kind of server I'm looking for would be a small one where people probably aren't advertising it. I wish I had friends IRL that played and just goof off with them.

I did find an open one that seemed kind of chill after my rant last night called EnderCraft. There were only 4 people on but they were nice in chat and nobody trolled me with lava. However everyone is built pretty far apart so it seems like it's just going to be more single player with random chat from time to time.

I've applied for quite a few whitelist servers over the past week and someone finally whitelisted me on one server so I'm going to try it out on my lunch break.

I'd really love to find people who enjoy working together to build cool stuff. I've watched a lot of youtube videos on automation and builds and it seems cool but it'd be a lot easier to work with someone else and share machines and power. I wonder if the game is just so old now a lot of people are bored with it and only play because it's what they're used to? I know a lot of people who do that with WoW.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeathOfTime

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
  • Whitelist is a must. Actually look at how the server whitelists people; if they add every Tom, Dick and Harry without thinking then it isn't whitelisted.
    • Open servers are full of griefers and trolls.
    • Or so "secure" with "anti-fungriefing plugins" there isn't a game left to play. And you'll still get griefed.
  • Take a look through the server's thread/forum and see how well (or poorly) the admin handle things.
    • This'll also give a rough indication about how interactive the community is.
  • look at how much a server dumps into advertising; if it feels desperate, they probably are.
    • If they're desperate, they'll likely to whitelist everyone (making it an open server).
An area I don't have experience with are play-to-play servers. Given how few I've seen I'll question the viability given the limited market.

Keep digging, you'll find decent servers. Join in and make friends with other players- if you find yourself looking for another decent server, then you have a few like minded people to join in with.

R

RECKLESSxZOMBIE

I've been playing solo for a while. Decided a week ago to try and find a server with people on it to have fun with. So far it's been nothing but trolls and idiots :-/

Is it really so hard to find a group of adults that enjoy playing the game without griefing, causing serious game lag for others, and overall being a bunch of asshats?

Tonight alone, I've tried 5 open servers, the most recent being Brierie Servers, where someone was following me around pouring lava on me and laughing. Everyone was like "heh heh heh that's funny don't be mad bro it's not like he put lava on you IRL"

I'm trying to get away from toxic communities and seems the internet is just littered with them everywhere :(
Hey man I looking for someone to play with me and it's just me right now I'm playing infinity evolved expert mode reply back if u wanna play

N1ghtWolf213

Jul 29, 2019
After a while of trying to find a good server I just decided to play single player and add mods like mca to feel as though I have friends. I should add that the majority of servers I did try, had to many banned items and I needed to buy vip ect to get items. Also I came across to many admins and such to have a god complex or something along those lines. Your best bet is to find 1 of those whitelisted servers that has no banned items, which means you probably want to make a thread saying something like "looking for whitelisted server with no banned items".

Reactions: DeathOfTime

NoElement

Jul 29, 2019
Everyone wants to have Direwolf as an partner. Or Soaryn. Or @pahimar . But alas, most minecrafters are children and they behave like that. Either you have the patience of an mountain, or i suggest you find your very own Direwolf.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
There is also Minecraft IRC wrapper like eirc. That can be a decent compromise. However if you like collaboration you need to do the hard slog and just keep trying.

@NoElement is right though, a lot of Minecraft players are children both literally and figuratively.
Also "an" is usually is used before a vowel (aeiou) or when a consonant makes a vowel sound. Usually when things are made In to an acronym. Like "an NEI plugin" or "an FTB MOD Pack.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

null123

Mar 27, 2014
Most public SMP servers, in my experience, are bad. Most suffer from at least two to three of these problems:
Due to the fact that every troll and nine year old who wants to nuke someone's house "for the lolz" can join, a lot of good items are restricted/banned/require you to donate.
Everything is locked behind a paywall.
The rules are extremely restrictive/annoying (e.g. "You can't have a base larger than 15x15 blocks because something something lag")
People in general can be rather... unpleasant, or be a downright troll/griefer.

That's not to say that whitelisted servers don't have these problems, but it's rarer, and usually to a lesser degree.

As @CelestialPheonix said, make sure the whitelist process isn't just "Comment your name and get added k thx bai". One that requires you to fill out a form which includes writing at least two paragraphs of whatever is definitely a plus (although there are good servers that don't do that).

A server with about 10-15 people is a good size, at larger sizes they tend to be more... lax about whom they let in, but again, there are exceptions. Same applies for below that, you don't want an inactive server (but, as to basically everything I've said here, there are, again, exceptions. If you have say, 8 players, but they're all extremely active, that's excellent).

Also, pretty much everything else @Celestialphoenix said :p

Rickitang

Jul 29, 2019
Hi if you are interested to join a server with mature players I can make a plan with the admin of the server I am on.
We are playing infinity expert mode. It is a small server, we had more people but most left, so we are looking to expand our small group.

I can't guarantee that you will be accepted since it is not my server.

If you are interested pm me and I will make contact