Why is 1.7 such a big change to modding?

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I have the impression that mod devs won't work on 1.7 at all because like I keep saying 1.8 will have a more stable build possibly different coding most likely actually do to the massive changes 1.8 or 9 will pretty it up many 1.8 will make it easier to mod who knows the point is 1.7 it's the bomb no one's wants to be there everyone waiting until mojang cleans up the wreckage

The problem is people thought the same for .6. That .7 will be better and that they should skip .6 in it's entirety. And they will probably think the same for .8. There are no easy updates. Right now the mod devs are just complaining a bit. They will get into it in there own do time. They just need that time to wrap there heads around the changes to the code.

Derpysauce

Aug 29, 2013
Ben shapiro
The problem is people thought the same for .6. That .7 will be better and that they should skip .6 in it's entirety. And they will probably think the same for .8. There are no easy updates. Right now the mod devs are just complaining a bit. They will get into it in there own do time. They just need that time to wrap there heads around the changes to the code.
Generally with games even numbered builds are more stable that's a fact

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I have the impression that mod devs won't work on 1.7 at all because like I keep saying 1.8 will have a more stable build possibly different coding most likely actually do to the massive changes 1.8 or 9 will pretty it up many 1.8 will make it easier to mod who knows the point is 1.7 it's the bomb no one's wants to be there everyone waiting until mojang cleans up the wreckage
[Citation Needed]

No, the problem is that none of the mod devs are capable of updating to 1.7 until Forge comes out. And Forge is taking forever because some 250,000 lines of code were changed, some of them very fundamental. Until then, none of the devs are able to do diddly for 1.7. Once that happens, THEN you'll see devs working on 1.7 mods.

Please stop posting hearsay and rumors and just flat-out made-up nonsense as 'facts'. It doesn't make you sound like you are 'in the know', it makes you sound immature and lacking in self-confidence. If you do not wish to present yourself in that manner, then please discontinue this behavior.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
@immibis: "Is there any energy system that is not a copy of Buildcraft?"

Yes. RotaryCraft. You have to manage rotation speed and torque separately.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
I believe that's a legacy system that will be phased out.
Irrelevant... point is it's still in 1.7, and 1.7 has barely started phasing it out.
For example, 1.7 saved worlds are the same as 1.6 saved worlds. So at the very least, if they add a new format, 1.8 will have to keep using IDs, so it can convert worlds over. That means using IDs up until 1.9 is released.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Irrelevant... point is it's still in 1.7, and 1.7 has barely started phasing it out.
For example, 1.7 saved worlds are the same as 1.6 saved worlds. So at the very least, if they add a new format, 1.8 will have to keep using IDs, so it can convert worlds over. That means using IDs up until 1.9 is released.
Unless they want to go ahead and break compatibility, finish going to string-based instead of integer-based, and force everyone to do a new world.

Yes, it would be a bad idea to do so, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. I remember all the drama in Beta 1.7 when they changed WorldGen to get rid of the Far Lands glitch and do a few other things in the process. Yes, it would be drama with whining and complaining, but it would be over and done with. For an end to ID Conflicts? I'd be willing to put up with mandatory world resets.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
[Citation Needed]

No, the problem is that none of the mod devs are capable of updating to 1.7 until Forge comes out. And Forge is taking forever because some 250,000 lines of code were changed, some of them very fundamental. Until then, none of the devs are able to do diddly for 1.7. Once that happens, THEN you'll see devs working on 1.7 mods.

Ahem.
From the forge download page.
1.7.2-Latest 10.12.0.976 1.7.2 12/28/2013 06:11:34 PM
http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php?action=files
And the same day you posted that no less. Neat trick. Can you make a post like that about the modding API too. And maybe ones about EE3 and Xycraft as well. :D

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Ahem.
From the forge download page.
1.7.2-Latest 10.12.0.976 1.7.2 12/28/2013 06:11:34 PM
http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php?action=files
And the same day you posted that no less. Neat trick. Can you make a post like that about the modding API too. And maybe ones about EE3 and Xycraft as well. :D
Oh trust me, if I had that kind of power, I'd be posting about world peace.

Besides, look again. Notice how it doesn't have a 'recommended' for 1.7.2? That's a dev version, not a release version. Granted, it's enough for modders to get started, but again... they only just TODAY got access to what they need to start updating their mods.

At least wait a couple of weeks before starting wild rumors about devs not updating. Sure, getting ahead of the crowd is one thing... but you're fighting a Black Friday crowd on the day after Halloween here.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
At least wait a couple of weeks before starting wild rumors about devs not updating. Sure, getting ahead of the crowd is one thing... but you're fighting a Black Friday crowd on the day after Halloween here.

Haven't you heard Christmas starts on the 4th of July now. :D

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
check rwtema's twitter (extra utils dev). Also, sengir isn't wanting to continue modding, you should check his twitter.
And sengir not wanting to continue to mod minecraft isn't due to 1.7. It's partly due to the playerbase. Partially because of things like this: http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&postID=143741#post143741

Applied Energistics has halted all development of 1.5.x and 1.6.x versions and will focus on 1.7.x. I guess that means I can say a lot of mod devs are looking forward to 1.7.x.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Applied Energistics has halted all development of 1.5.x and 1.6.x versions and will focus on 1.7.x. I guess that means I can say a lot of mod devs are looking forward to 1.7.x.

Actually it means that she has to do a complete re-wright to fix issues with her chunk mover. And that by the time she finished 1.5 and 1.6 will be outdated so she is skipping them and going on to the next version.

Maldroth

Jul 29, 2019
Biomes o Plenty already have 1.7 versions out now on the new Forge build and Tinker's Construct has some new features that are waiting on 1.7 to be out. So honestly devs have been waiting on Forge. The amount of code that was changed really made this update hard. But each pass of the code like this is a clean up to get Minecraft ready for API. The game essentially has to be rewritten a bit at a time.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Do you memorize the IP address of every website you visit? Do you even know the IP address of the mailservers that your friends use?

I heavily doubt it... Like the rest of today's user community you probably rely on DHCP to get your IP address, probably without even knowing what it is, and use DNS so you can direct your browser to http://forum.feed-the-beast.com instead of having to type in the IP address every time.

Using numeric IDs is prehistoric in comparison to the new system, much like the way we had to manually edit our systems' "hosts" file to include sites we wanted to visit without having to remember the IP address before DNS was invented, or remember the address of every site we wanted to visit before that.

Before DHCP came along you had to pay a pretty hefty monthly charge just to get an IP address assigned to you, or to get access to a system with a pool of loanable addresses, since the people/companies that owned the subnets had to pay for them as well.

The point is that doing things the way you suggest adds more background processing the larger the number is, slowing down the game, does nothing to solve blockID conflicts and would have to be increased again in the future as newer mods are written and their IDs have to be tacked on to the end of the existing list.

This way, every client has it's own table of available IDs that is loaded with nameIDs in the order they are registered, kind of like a DNS routing table, so you don't have to have a static ID table with every ID used by every mod in existence on every copy of the game for things to work right. If a mod is not used it's nameIDs aren't even loaded, which leaves more IDs for the mods that are loaded to use.

I read, probably on the Curse Minecraft forums, that the maximum number of IDs has been increased as part of the new system as well.
Hrm...I suppose using a string-based hashtable, in that instance, would be, if nothing else, more dev-friendly.

However, I know I'll probably wait until 1.8 comes around before trying to port what I currently have for Keep of Metal and Gold over to the latest vanilla version. My girlfriend's been playing on 1.7 since it came out and has had many problems with it, like crashing so hard that she can't stop the process with fucking Task Manager, forcing her to restart her computer after said crash, lest she have a huge chunk of resources just plain gone because the JVM process simply refuses to freaking die. Making a mod already requires that I deal with crashes and bugs, I'd rather not have to deal with forced computer restarts, as well. Especially since my laptop takes a couple of minutes to start up.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Can't we all just be friends and enjoy the free stuff we get at other people's expense?
But bitching about Sengir adding something when he didn't even add it is just ermmm heh ok. I just find it funny that people complain about things that get put into mods when it's free anyways... I mean free stuff is free stuff. Heck a mod could add generators powered off pink because of Aur......oh wait.....that's gonna be in Extra Utilities :p