Why don't more mods put effort into surviving MC updates

Steviej1801

Jul 29, 2019
I was curious about this question as well, not sure why some feel it's necessary to attack the OP when he was just asking an honest question. If he is an idiot, as one person implied, then everyone on this forum is an idiot for asking questions and stating their opinions and preferences. No where did he discredit mod authors. He was simply asking his question and trying to get an answer in a way which he understood best, by his experience with other mods. Instead, he gets talked down at because he doesn't know how to code even though the guy arguing with him confesses that he, himself, knows nothing about how to actually code for MC.

Thank you to the mod authors for trying to explain why backwards compatibility doesn't happen more often. I think Azzanine's answer is the best and I do agree with it:

They simply do not mod for you or any player, most modders do it as an intellectual side project for them selves. They do it for fun, if making things backwards compatible isn't rewarding then they wont do it. Your enjoyment is just a welcomed side effect of their modding labor.

Reactions: Wagon153

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I was curious about this question as well, not sure why some feel it's necessary to attack the OP when he was just asking an honest question. If he is an idiot, as one person implied, then everyone on this forum is an idiot for asking questions and stating their opinions and preferences. No where did he discredit mod authors. He was simply asking his question and trying to get an answer in a way which he understood best, by his experience with other mods. Instead, he gets talked down at because he doesn't know how to code even though the guy arguing with him confesses that he, himself, knows nothing about how to actually code for MC.

Thank you to the mod authors for trying to explain why backwards compatibility doesn't happen more often. I think Azzanine's answer is the best and I do agree with it:
I think the reason for the tone of the response is a combination of the thread title - one which strongly implies a mindset of "Mod authors could save my world, but they're too lazy to try" - and some of the responses, which can essentially be boiled down to "mod X did it, why did mod Y not do it too".

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
being backwards compatible requires that you've been at some level forwards compatible, not all modders think about that when designing their mod

Zaik

Jul 29, 2019
For all the praise the vocal community gives mods whose goal is efficiency, I find it somewhat sad nobody seems to care for the longevity of their worlds. I realize that a lot of you are direwolf styled power players but for the regular joes(and jills), constantly having to reset worlds isn't enjoyable.

Back on the 1.5 -> 1.6 update the argument was that forge's new fluid system would make updates impossible thereby forcing world resets. Now the argument is that the transition from blocks ids to strings makes updating worlds impossible.

Forestry, Railcraft, Build-craft and some blocks of Thaumcraft all have managed smooth updates from 1.4 -> 1.5 -> 1.6 ->1.7; updates are not impossible.

Instead of focusing purely on tick efficiency or inventing the next big ore doubling mechanic, wouldn't it be nice if more focus was spent on backwards compatibility? I can't help but feel as though longevity is where the real talent shines.

On another note, does anyone know if MCedit can be used to swap old ids to strings? I'd really like to salvage what I can of my world. What about any other tools? Would it be possible to have 1.6 cofh's regen feature convert all Thermal Expansion ore to stone? In that case I could then use 1.7 cofh to regen Thermal Foundation ore, right?

I can't speak for updates before, but I don't think a vanilla world in 1.6 would even update to vanilla 1.7. If it even loaded, there's a good chance that every single existing block would be deleted as the block ID system has completely changed.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
I can't speak for updates before, but I don't think a vanilla world in 1.6 would even update to vanilla 1.7. If it even loaded, there's a good chance that every single existing block would be deleted as the block ID system has completely changed.
unless 1.7 shipped with the default mapping to use when the world's mapping is missing

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
It would still work. IDs still exist, but get auto-converted to the new names. Mods would have a bigger problem with it, though.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
All blocks still have internal numerical IDs, and the vanilla blocks are all hardcoded to their old IDs. TNT is still 46, obsidian 49, gold ore 14, redstone wire 55, et cetera. I think I am going to write a /give into DragonAPI to allow for using the old system.

Zaik

Jul 29, 2019
It would still work. IDs still exist, but get auto-converted to the new names. Mods would have a bigger problem with it, though.

Wasn't really sure if it was going to randomly assign the actual ID numbers to vanilla blocks/items like I think it does to modded ones or use the exact same numbers it's used before now. In any event, even if it loaded and wasn't a void in every single chunk that had been generated, it's never been a particularly good idea to try to use old maps on newer versions, modded or not. Whether it's weird old player data, lighting bugs, or whatever, it has always been risky and not really worth it.

Obviously mods would have an even bigger problem with it, if they can even auto convert they could only realistically do it for their default config IDs from 1.6, running around doing it for every modpack that had to change a few IDs in 1.6 to fit everything in would be way more effort than it would ever be worth.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Also long time MC players who are not yet used to world resets boggle my mind. It's long history of update that destroy/ ruin your world should have driven such a player off by now.
Map resets are a part and parcel of the game, it's like if you decide to live near a active volcano you need to learn how to deal with eruptions or move somewhere safer.

Must be annoying to be a modder sometimes, people treat you like an un-payed code stoogie. Especially in mod pack communities.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Fucking mush code monkey! Don't make me whip you double!! I want a 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 and! 1.7 versions of all your mod patches pronto and I want it yesterday.

^also another angle OP forgot, some modders have more then one mod and people still use a lot of the previous versions of MC it's self. Some still play Unleashed and ultimate, how far back should modders be "required" to maintain backdated mods?
Companies that get paid for a product don't even maintain products that far back. Try ringing Ford to repair the transmission of a model T and they will probably stare at you like you are crazy or retarded. (then again flash enough cash at them and I'm sure something could be done.)

@l3lackCalamity 's request seems somewhat reasonable, but it becomes less and less reasonable the more insight you get as to why.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Fucking mush code monkey! Don't make me whip you double!! I want a 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 and! 1.7 versions of all your mod patches pronto and I want it yesterday.

^also another angle OP forgot, some modders have more then one mod and people still use a lot of the previous versions of MC it's self. Some still play Unleashed and ultimate, how far back should modders be "required" to maintain backdated mods?
Companies that get paid for a product don't even maintain products that far back. Try ringing Ford to repair the transmission of a model T and they will probably stare at you like you are crazy or retarded. (then again flash enough cash at them and I'm sure something could be done.)

@l3lackCalamity 's request seems somewhat reasonable, but it becomes less and less reasonable the more insight you get as to why.
TBH, I'd support any version you'd like if you threw enough cash at me. Being paid to mod? I could work with that.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
TBH, I'd support any version you'd like if you threw enough cash at me. Being paid to mod? I could work with that.
Though, I doubt you would like to deal with the lawyers from Mojang because you are profiting from developing a mod to be used with their game. :p

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Though, I doubt you would like to deal with the lawyers from Mojang because you are profiting from developing a mod to be used with their game. :p
Well, I could either take a "donation" and make something for someone who wants it out of the kindness of my heart.

That, and Mojang doesn't give two shits about anything. They still have yet to enforce the new EULA changes with servers. I'm pretty sure if I sold a mod, they wouldn't bat an eye, although I doubt they would even find out about it unless it became some kind of business.

EDIT: Don't expect people to do this though. Nobody has that kind of time.

Last edited:

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I could either take a "donation" and make something for someone who wants it out of the kindness of my heart.

That, and Mojang doesn't give two shits about anything. They still have yet to enforce the new EULA changes with servers. I'm pretty sure if I sold a mod, they wouldn't bat an eye, although I doubt they would even find out about it unless it became some kind of business.

EDIT: Don't expect people to do this though. Nobody has that kind of time.
I'm no lawyer so I don't know if this would be legal, but I could stipulate that I am paying you for your time and codeing services your expertise in Java. So long as I keep the end product open I don't really think there'd be any legal ramifications so long at it's made clear I was paying you hypothetically for your time.
In other words you'd be selling yourself not the game or resulting mod.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
I'm no lawyer so I don't know if this would be legal, but I could stipulate that I am paying you for your time and codeing services your expertise in Java. So long as I keep the end product open I don't really think there'd be any legal ramifications so long at it's made clear I was paying you hypothetically for your time.
In other words you'd be selling yourself not the game or resulting mod.
You probably wouldn't even need to keep it open, you just can't sell the mod to play.

But then again, the entire EULA is a gray area, so they'd probably just change it to suit whatever problems arise.