Why can't I bind anything to the F key?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

FelixDomoNova

Jul 29, 2019
I have checked the key-bindings menu several times, all the available in-game mod menus and their respective key-bindings menus, and config files and I still can't figure out why the F key wont bind properly.
It works just fine when typing in the chat or anywhere else, but if something is bound to it (Like Right for example) it wont work. Chat? Wont work. Jump? Nope.
It's not red in the key-bindings menu, so I can only assume that some mod has secretly taken control of the F key and is keeping itself well hidden.
It's really bothering me because I use ESDF to play just about everything and it just feels bad going back to WASD.
I should be really excited about a new mod pack but all I can think about is the keys when I go to open my inventory or crouch and something else happens.

Things like this have been a horrible problem with most large FTB packs for a while. Can the Devs please start putting full key-binding lists somewhere when they introduce new mod packs?

Sageoffire

Jul 29, 2019
Running into this same problem as well. for the same reason too actually, i like my esdf too :p

readonly

Jul 29, 2019
Try changing the "drinking helmet" hotkey in the config file for Better Storage. 33 is the default, and that's the "F" key.

FelixDomoNova

Jul 29, 2019
It worked!
Thanks!
I might have never found it on my own.

Also,
IS THERE NO WAY TO CHANGE THAT IN-GAME?
That seems like a glaring oversight as it effectively prevents people from playing this mod pack comfortably if they are used to ESDF or like using F for something other than some random helmet.

Sageoffire

Jul 29, 2019
I changed the config, removed the mod, deleted the config, deleted everything and 'reinstalled' the pack, nothing is working.

How did you make it actually work?

lafflam

Jul 29, 2019
I changed the config, removed the mod, deleted the config, deleted everything and 'reinstalled' the pack, nothing is working.

How did you make it actually work?

You might also need to check the Traincraft.cfg file, and change the line that says I:KEY_FURN=33 to something else. I usually use 219 which assigns it to the Windows/Meta key (which basically disables the key bind completely).

EDIT: I also edited NEI.cfg, and changed search=33 to something else.

I also found a conflict within Minecraft > Options > Controls > All ... Shoot fireballs (AdvGenetics)

Hope this helps :)

Last edited: