Why are The IC2 Addons Used Anymore?

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
Why are the IC2 addons not used anymore after Ultimate. GregTech (not even on easy mode), Advanced Machines, Advanced Solar Panels, and GraviSuite are not used anymore. They were some of my favorite mods, and I manually added to the packs, and haven't had any problems. So yeah anybody know why they were no longer used?

Oops sorry about the title it was supposed to be: Why aren't the IC2 Addons Used Anymore?

Last edited:

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
Lots of people complained they wanted vanilla IC2 back, and associated any changed with Greg. So it seems they took out everything. (and yet they're still complaining...)

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
Lots of people complained they wanted vanilla IC2 back, and associated any changed with Greg. So it seems they took out everything. (and yet they're still complaining...)
Yeah, but Greg didn't create GraviSuite, Adv Machines, or Advanced Solar Panels. There are also lots of people who prefered the addons, they could have at least left them disabled or something. And all the addons (except for GT) don't force you to even use them if you want to use IC2. I mean you don't have to use adv machines or an advanced diamond drill, so I don't get why they got removed.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
The last time I checked on a few of them there were still massive bugs with them. They could be quite a bit more stable now, but at pack release they were fairly broken.

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
The last time I checked on a few of them there were still massive bugs with them. They could be quite a bit more stable now, but at pack release they were fairly broken.
Well, I use them and they are stable. And I have been using them since mid december.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Well, I use them and they are stable. And I have been using them since mid december.

Results vary for everyone. They may be stable for you and several others, but there could be just as many having severe issues, and it appeared that was the case, leading the safe choice to be to leave them out of the packs.

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
I've had no issues with GraviSuite at least. I have issues with IC2's new direction, but there have been topics about it. I suppose fewer people relying on IC2 is also why you haven't seen more discussion of their absence though.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
At first, I wondered the same thing, but really the features they provide are either redundant or unwanted in my view. TiC, Flux Tools, and MPS add many of the same functionality but better IMO. Although I am probably bias; I decided to remove IC2 and all EU from my server.

There is a discussion that was posted that Monster isnt supposed to be "lets have all the mods" as people believed Ultimate was. If you are curious I can search for the topic posted by the FTB staff. It went into detail about what the purpose was for each FTB modpack. Luckily its not that hard to just add them in yourself. If you want to see some really OP IC2 addons, lookup levelstorage. I think it even added another dimension on top of the super OP armor/tools.

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
People complained IC2 was old and needed to change.
People are now complaining they don't IC2 to change.
:/
It's possible to want some sort of change but but not like a specific kind of change. People complained it was stale and uninteresting. In response they... complicated crafting every single item? That's probably not the direction most people were hoping for. New machines, yes, new mechanics, yes, but the exact same stuff available in a more annoying form to craft? No.

Also, as many have pointed out, it went the GregTech route of "complexity is good". Yes, I know Greg is only a big fixer (which he's damn good at, I'll admit) and hasn't directly influenced the design that's been led by the previous maintainers. However, game play wise, they feel similar to people, but IC2 doesn't seem to offer any additional later rewards for dealing with its complexity, which is why I liked GregTech (although I stopped using it after 1.4.7).

It's different, yes, but in some people's opinions, it's a change for the worse.

Reactions: PierceSG

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
I will say, they made the nuclear reactor more practical as a power source. It provides waste fuel that can be processed to become a fuel source that never expires. In my mind it is now competitive with other power sources in IC2 since its scales up over time just by using it. Although the components still dont stack, which is a pet pieve of mine. That's all I noticed that I really liked that was new. I may be biased though, I've drifted towards RF and UE mods lately.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
there has been other mod alternatives to these mods. advanced machines is nice, but IC2 gives you options to upgrade their base machines, plus there are other mods now that also add resource refining which can also be used. advanced solars is a good combination with gravitation suit, but compact solars does about the same and seeing as gravitation suit isn't installed because you already have Modular Powersuits...

FTB can add all the mods to the packs that they've been using in the past, but FTB also wants to give other mods some spotlight, and if FTB has to add both the old and the new mods the packs will become so big that alot of people can't play them anymore. if you really believe these mods should be added, you could request FTB to add the configuration files for these mods to the Universal Configurations. that way you can drag/drop the mods/config files to the packs you want

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
People complained IC2 was old and needed to change.
People are now complaining they don't [want? Like? I feel there is a missing word here] IC2 to change.
:/

Some people complained IC2 was old and needed to change. Quite a lot of others were perfectly content with the way things were, and didn't feel the need to bring up the issue. I mean, if you made a thread saying "I like how things are right now, let's keep that", you'd either be reported for spamming the forums, or it'd be an invitation for moaners to drop in and argue against you - those agreeing with you are more likely to like your post than writing several-paragraph responses. As a general rule, the happy crowd is a silent crowd.

Then IC2 changed. Those who previously moaned got their satisfaction. However, the previously happy crowd saw their "product" being radically changed in a direction they didn't ask for. Those were the people who liked IC2 the way it was, those who hadn't played it for long enough to grow bored, and those who knew and loved the way the mod worked.
What's worse, it can be argued that by changing, IC2 keeps the "regular customers" coming back, after all they've got a solid extension and refreshment of what the mod added. On the other hand, the creators just made IC2 a lot harder to get into, especially compared to other mods, and I think it will hurt them in the long run. They had a solid, useful, easy-to-use mod that was the perfect entry-level introduction to modded Minecraft (at least it was for me). It was intuitive enough that other mods could easily be made compatible with it, or expand on what it had to offer. It was broad enough that you could base your base on it, and its addons made it offer help in almost every aspect of the game.
The way it is today, I wouldn't even have considered starting with it if I were new to the game, I'd probably ditch it promptly in favour of TE or something. Now the "old crowd" who asked for revitalization might be happy, but we'll see the backlash from those who preferred things the way they were.

...Either way, it's dangerous to use the term "people" to describe folks complaining on the Internet. It might look like the community is speaking with an unison voice, but upon closer inspection, it's very rare that the same people bash contradictory things.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
we asked for a change to the better, not "you want change? here is your change you... guys!"

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of change... I think one should be applied to the topic title. It seems to ask the complete opposite question of the OP.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
*Why aren't the IC2 addons used anymore?

To my knowledge, I thought it was just unstable and wasn't added to make sure there were no bugs present. If you want it added to the pack, bug the FTB team to add it.

Reactions: Padfoote