Why am I getting this weird block lag on MP FTB? (DW20 1.0.4)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

darkmatter35

Jul 29, 2019
Read the video description for my information. Please give all the input you can I really need help this is really frustrating.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
Could be a struggling server, or poor internet connection.

I've found that being near alvearies seems to - fairly reliably - cause this behaviour on my end, but I've also (very rarely) had it under vanilla SSP, so who knows. Go travel a bit. See if it only happens in certain areas, make a list of the sort of blocks in use there.

The double-block-placing thing I call bad programming, lag or not. It'd be less annoying to have to go back and fill gaps then it is to go back and clean up blocks you never clicked to put down.

mtwcsn

Jul 29, 2019
I'm an admin on the server in question (though not the server owner - I don't have any control over the hosting). It's a frustrating problem, but seemingly only for darkmatter. None of the rest of us are running into this problem. It's happened to him in several locations around the world, for as long as he's been a member. Server load was fine at the time this was recorded: 20tps at about 25ms/tick. There's no other players' bases nearby, and the most advanced machines he's got are vanilla brewing stands. I'm able to place and break blocks in the exact same place with no block or framerate lag, but anything I place or break he sees as lagging just like in the video. He's already tried it in a single player world, and didn't run into any sort of block lag.

I'm leaning towards the internet connection as the culprit, but I have very little admin experience and could be wrong. I'd love any help or advice.

darkmatter35

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with you entirely mt. I have never had this problem on any other server I have ever played on. Either its my internet itself or my computer hardware. I run a intel Core i3 2120 (sandy) with integrated graphics. This is held up inside a HP AIO slim computer I got more than two years ago. It might be my wifi chip in my computer that is finally acting up but I cannot be sure. I doubt it is the server's internet because then many others on the server would have this problem, especially those in the US like me. The thing I still don't understand is why it only happens in certain areas. When I settled in my first area on the server I had no block lag. Then I build this big detailed base and in the middle of its construction it started to act up. I thought it was originally due to me building higher in the world there fore loading more vertical chunks. So when I moved I tried to build a "flatter" base. This changed nothing; I also get similar lag spikes when loading in large areas at fast speeds which leads me to the fact that my connection just cant keep up. But I have no problems in my browser or on other mc servers at all. I think this might be because of the large amount of data that ftb servers send to the client versus vanilla servers. All I know is that when I get a new computer I will be installing a ethernet cable jack in my basement and connecting it to my computer.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
well, this is something that happened for me personally, so it may not be the problem you're having.
I had very weird block lag in Monster singleplayer what you would normally encounter on a multiplayer server with a bad connection
it also seemed to happen mostly at night.

in the end I found out that the culprit was Special Mobs, which probably spawned a certain type of mob that was giving me the block lag.
after removing Special Mobs, all the block lag I had was gone.

now I don't know if you're Special Mobs enabled on your server, but if you have... it might be worth a shot looking into it

mtwcsn

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, I should have provided more technical details. The modpack is stock DW20 1.0.14.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Hey, that looks just like my gameplay :D It is indeed very frustrating, slowing down any builds in progress (especially if you end up placing 2 blocks, whip out your pickaxe, and end up breaking 3 blocks...).

It's the wonderful internet.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Just the client and the server not sending enough relays to each other due to bad internet connection.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
But how do I know if its the server's internet/my carrier/my computer?
If it's only you getting the lag, and nobody else, it's probably not the servers, because otherwise everyone would get it too. No idea about carrier / computer though.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
If it's only you getting the lag, and nobody else, it's probably not the servers, because otherwise everyone would get it too. No idea about carrier / computer though.
If your the only one getting lag, then the problem is "somewhere" between you and the server.

You mentioned something about a wifi chip on your PC. I take it this means you have a wireless connection to your PC? Go get a network cable and try without a wireless connection for a bit. see if that helps. If does not help, then the issue is either lag on your client, or problems with your ISP. Or it could be that you are a really long ways away from the server.

Other things:
What kinda FPS do you get when playing normally?
Are there any other PCs using your internet connection?
Any streaming video TV or xbox using your internet connection?

darkmatter35

Jul 29, 2019
I just spent a week getting a new wifi card in my system, that didn't stop the lag. Then I got a hardline connection, that didnt stop the lag. I tried playing ftb on my dad's computer and I got no lag. I normally get 20-60 fps on the surface of the world(depending on what I'm looking at). But when I go to other peoples bases I can go from 5-20 fps. this massive frame drop also occurs when I start to progress within my own base. I think it comes down to how much my cpu can handle. I have a i3 2120 and it is great for browsing but not for ftb. I am planning to upgrade to a $700 pc soon that I will build myself

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
Some connections are a real pain in the ass. Like I can connect to a server in Australia from Florida with little to no lag. While at the same time I get all the lag in the world from a server in the server center 150 yards from my house ( this is not a joke ). So it could be a desync issue.

One other thing to try is RAM allocation. There are 2 places you have to do it. First in JAVA itself there should be an option for caching. Second if you are running with the FTB launcher go to options and slide the slider to set the RAM allocation for Minecraft usage. Depending on how much RAM you have I would leave 1G for regular processes and then divide the rest up on a 2:1 ratio ( Mincraft : Java)

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryiah

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, Minecraft uses both. A good GPU can make a world of difference as far as FPS goes. Same for the CPU. CPU because Java. GPU because of rendering.
Precisely. A good gaming system needs both a good processor and a good graphics card. Otherwise one will idle while waiting for the other to catch up.

Given that the OP has not stated any details for his GPU, and he is on an Intel processor, I'm going to assume he is using Intel HD. Which is likely the culprit here.

LoGaL

Aug 4, 2013
i used to play ftb ultimate with an intel hd 3000 (though the processor was an i7 dual core) and i didn't get any lag, even though i played with low settings
and i had massive greg machines running in my base