which trees make the best tree farm.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019

Technically, what you mean to say is "subject", or perhaps "title". It is also fairly rude to just post a single word like that instead of going into more details. And especially so because what you are asking is pointless (I'll go with jungle trees, myself, because they amuse me the most) without knowing what TYPE of tree farm are you looking for. Wood/saplings/apples/etc?

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
sorry didn't mean to be rude. I want to use the saplings to make bio-fuel. What would be the best for me to use.

ajskuce

Jul 29, 2019
Ill hijack his thread and ask is there a better tree to use for apples besides standard oak? maybe something from forestry tree breeding?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
sorry didn't mean to be rude. I want to use the saplings to make bio-fuel. What would be the best for me to use.

There we go. In that case, the current popular way to go for that is using a Steve's Cart tree farm:

Watch that, and enjoy!

Ill hijack his thread and ask is there a better tree to use for apples besides standard oak? maybe something from forestry tree breeding?
If you run standard oak saplings through the treealizer (or whatever the heck they call that thing), it will turn them into "apple oak saplings", which I believe are better for apples. And it is fairly low in cost to do as much. A honey drop, a diamond or two I think, and whatnot.

Reactions: ajskuce

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a tree that would give more saplings per tree. Which tree would be best to use one the tree farm.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a tree that would give more saplings per tree. Which tree would be best to use one the tree farm.

The more leaves on a tree, the more saplings can drop. Silverwood trees only drop a sapling 1/500th of the time, and greatwood are around 1/100300th of the time. I believe jungle trees are a bit lower than the standard vanilla trees.

I'd suggest starting with ANY type of tree, and making a Steve's Cart tree farm to get a feel for it.

Lasted edited by Poppycocks on Thursday, February 28, 2013 (02/28/2013) at 07:41:13 PST.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

Out of the box, without breeding to get the right magic traits I'd say that the Willow tree would give the most saplings.

If you did spend that effort, I'd say that any of them would eventually be "best"

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
For a steve's carts farm I find oak to be far and away the best choice. Mod trees are not compatible (at least when I started mine, may have changed in a recent update) and while other trees may be better individually, oak is far more flexible about how close it can grow to other trees. Since there may be a significant delay between the growth and harvest, having the ability for neighboring trees to grow is big. Plus, the chance for a large oak boosts your relative gather rates pretty well.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if BIBLO is going for a new record of "largest number of one-line threads created per day by single user"...

Did you know we have a question thread that many very knowledgeable people are subscribed to, just waiting for new questions to be asked?

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
I use oak in my sc farms simply because of the chance to grow huge. It actually happens quite regularly if there are other trees nearby.

silenos

Jul 29, 2019
the most saplings / space would be a multifarm with oak trees that have the triple saplings trait bred into... sadly SC can't handle mod trees

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
The more leaves on a tree, the more saplings can drop. Silverwood trees only drop a sapling 1/500th of the time, and greatwood are around 1/100th of the time. I believe jungle trees are a bit lower than the standard vanilla trees.

I'd suggest starting with ANY type of tree, and making a Steve's Cart tree farm to get a feel for it.
300, Silvers are 500, greatwoods are 300.