Which mod changes the sky height?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having performance issues with the current (1.5.x Minecraft) version of FTB, that I didn't have in Minecraft 1.4.x.

I'm checking mods to see if the change is with Minecraft, a mod, or my computer. I don't know if the sky change is the cause, but I'd like to check if that's the reason, and if the mod has a config so I don't have to remove a mod I happen to use a lot.

herbycanopy

Jul 29, 2019
I (unlike others) will try to give you some helpfull information. As far as I know there is not any mod for 1.5.x that changes the world height from the default of 256 blocks (if memory serves me right now). I to have found a large loss of FPS in 1.5.x. For my I lost around 15-20fps but if I so not play with Mystcraft then I get about alot of that back. I am not sure what it is what it is about the mod but even when I make a brand new world Mystcraft just slows me down...so I just play at 20ish.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
All I know is I can easily go above 256. In other games I've seen height increases slow things down from simply having more computations to perform, so I'm checking that.

My problem is that, while I know I only have 2G RAM (Windows XP), it worked fine up to Minecraft 1.4.7. After that, my game starts lagging if I get anywhere near terrain with lots of variance, like jungles. And keeps lagging for a while after I quit playing. From what little I know about things like this it seems like my computer is keeping too much in memory to run properly. I see it taking up to 1.5G of RAM. But it keeps going after I log out.

By the way, I did post this in the support forum. I'm checking specific things here to figure it out.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
All I know is I can easily go above 256. In other games I've seen height increases slow things down from simply having more computations to perform, so I'm checking that.

My problem is that, while I know I only have 2G RAM (Windows XP), it worked fine up to Minecraft 1.4.7. After that, my game starts lagging if I get anywhere near terrain with lots of variance, like jungles. And keeps lagging for a while after I quit playing. From what little I know about things like this it seems like my computer is keeping too much in memory to run properly. I see it taking up to 1.5G of RAM. But it keeps going after I log out.

By the way, I did post this in the support forum. I'm checking specific things here to figure it out.

You can fly up way above 256, and its been that way since the beginning of the universe, but you can't build past that. Nothing you can do about it :/

Frankly, at greater heights you generally have better FPS as nothing on the ground is being rendered.

Try -XX:MaxPermSize=256M.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
Then I misunderstood what was going on, thanks. I never tried flying that high except on accident, and thought 256 was a hard cap in the game.

herbycanopy

Jul 29, 2019
I did not know that there was a difference in the fly cap and build cap...Thanks for clearing that up for me Riuga.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like your GPU can't handle rendering of all the transparency and/or block surfaces. Using fast graphics for opaque leaves should help and you should lower your render distance, too. If those don't help it's your CPU being too slow instead. As long as your overall memory usage doesn't go beyond that 2G it's not the memory that is a problem.