Where to begin in modding

Jugg3rV

Jul 29, 2019
Here's an issue:
I have a Mac. I've been trying to code for a long time but it's difficult because my computer has so many compatibility issues. Sadly, I'm only a texturer now. :p

you could still code java with a mac ... and hey, minecraft is written in java too :)

McMutton

Jul 29, 2019
First of, write down your idea.

If you plan on various recipes, write them down, look at them, set them into the context of MC or other mods.
Do not start programming unless you have you full idea written down on paper. Even then start thinking about how you will solve the problems that come with you mod, technically or in game (balance).

90% of a mod developers (game designers) job happens on the drawingboard. 65-80% of a programmers work happens on the drawingboard, too. And you need to be gamedesigner and programmer in one person.

Always ask yourself, what is the mod / recipe good for. Do people really need this, do they have some workaround? What happens to other recipes / items / gamesrules, if you really write this mod.

I would like to agree to you as everything is completely right when we're speaking of making your first public available mod.
BUT I would suggest if you're interessted in modding start with a pure testmod for yourself. Start making a simple Block and a simple Item and now start trying every method which you can find. Do anything and everything with those blocks. Try to find out what is possible in Minecraft and what isn't.
Then find out how blocks can interact with each other and the player.

But as Jugg3rV has said 90% of gamedesign happens on the drawingboard... so if you find a useful mechanic at this point and you have already your first idea how to use it: WRITE IT DOWN!

If you are at this point: I completely aggree with Jugg3rV... start planning your real mod on the drawing board and don't try to break the game. (Really, no one needs a "WIN-Button" in Minecraft)

And always keep your testmod around... I consider it to be an helpful tool for trying things out before I really add them to my mod and if nothing else: It's entertaining to do stuff while you're out of ideas without breaking anything else.

Jugg3rV

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to agree to you as everything is completely right when we're speaking of making your first public available mod.
BUT I would suggest if you're interessted in modding start with a pure testmod for yourself. Start making a simple Block and a simple Item and now start trying every method which you can find. Do anything and everything with those blocks. Try to find out what is possible in Minecraft and what isn't.
Then find out how blocks can interact with each other and the player.

But as Jugg3rV has said 90% of gamedesign happens on the drawingboard... so if you find a useful mechanic at this point and you have already your first idea how to use it: WRITE IT DOWN!

If you are at this point: I completely aggree with Jugg3rV... start planning your real mod on the drawing board and don't try to break the game. (Really, no one needs a "WIN-Button" in Minecraft)

And always keep your testmod around... I consider it to be an helpful tool for trying things out before I really add them to my mod and if nothing else: It's entertaining to do stuff while you're out of ideas without breaking anything else.

I totally agree :)
Perhaps links to tutorials would be usefull here. I am look for some myself for some time, since i know java but i don't seem to grasp where to start with forge and eclipse. I didn't put much energy into it though ;)

McMutton

Jul 29, 2019
A few general rules I've learned from fellow programmers:
- Never say you know a programming language. Since it doesn't help since still no one can guess how much experience you really have at this point and no one really knows a language in every detail.
- Put as much effort in your question, as you would expect from the answer. ;)

But if you're telling me what exactly your problem is at the moment, I'll try to look up a useful tutorial for you later this day. ("useful tutorial" equals "needle in a haystack")
As far as I'm guessing you're either stuck at setting Eclipse up (including MCP/Forge).
Or you need to know how to write the first few classes for your mod.

Jugg3rV

Jul 29, 2019
I know how to write classes, i just don't know where to put them or if i need to include classes / libraries etc ... i write it down in more detail, once i really spend time with the programming. I am more stuck with the gamedesign basics and the techtree.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
If you are getting along in Java and want to apply that knowledge to writing mods for MC you might want to look at Forge (the modding API). You need to be forge-compatible anyway since it prevents you from getting into conflicts with other mods.

It has some nice tutorials on the wiki:
http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Tutorials

soflaz

Jul 29, 2019
Here's an issue:
I have a Mac. I've been trying to code for a long time but it's difficult because my computer has so many compatibility issues. Sadly, I'm only a texturer now. :p
Compatibility issues with what? .NET? Hahaha.

Shady3

Jul 29, 2019
good grief codeacademy was fun :eek:
i got stuck there and just did allot if it and now its 1 am o_O