Where is the line between contraption and exploit?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
And to be fair, with the open source, copyleft nature of EE3, even if the author does discontinue it he has in some way made efforts to ensure that other can take it up.

MachineMuse

Jul 29, 2019
And to be fair, with the open source, copyleft nature of EE3, even if the author does discontinue it he has in some way made efforts to ensure that other can take it up.
Well, exactly. Keeping EE2 closed wasn't his call because he wasn't the original creator.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Base IC2 is generally considered a bit OP anyway, but only when you add in other mods that make passive energy generation easy (e.g. pump lava from the Nether and quarry lots of coal).

It's the reactor that makes the UUM in under 24 hours for a full suit of graviton. That's base IC2.

Actually the mod maker explicitly added in that capability for anvils. It's a temporary measure until they add in something to replace it (I believe this is the future purpose for Soul Crystals, which are currently unobtainable).

The mod maker desired to add the ability to merge "Pig Shard" and "Pig Shard", not "Witch Shard" and "Pig Shard" to get a Tier5 Witch after 1 Witch kill.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Actually the mod maker explicitly added in that capability for anvils. It's a temporary measure until they add in something to replace it (I believe this is the future purpose for Soul Crystals, which are currently unobtainable).

I personally think it is a poor work around. I do hope he gets his planed system in soon. And I do hope its a bit more costly (time or mats) then the diamonds and levels right now the anvil system takes. Does not need to be GT hard just something more complex then kill 1 mod now kill 10 chickens = teir 5 spawner.

TehAnder

Jul 29, 2019
Then where does the fault(Or responsibility if you prefer that word) for a discontinued mod lay?

He chose to end the mod and thus any disappointment that comes after that falls on him. It may not seem fair to you but it comes with what he chose to do. When you choose to develop a mod all blame for anything that mod causes ultimately falls on your shoulders. It's simply a fact.

If a person ruling a country is in power when a catastrophe happens, even if it couldn't be stopped, he will be blamed. It's the same principle.
His mod, he does whatever he likes. Simple as that. We like it, we play it. We don't like it, we don't play it. He abandons it, infact he has a reason, we move along. His fault, you say? Did he ever say his mod will be eternal? That he will never abandon it? Heck, is it even his payed-job or duty or something? No. But he didn't abandon it, he's changing it. And for the good. Can't blame a person for what he hasn't done. Even IF Pahimar would have screwed something up, we should forgive him, cause everyone makes mistakes. Even mod developers.

Now, i tried to express myself as simply as possible so you could actually listen to someone, but after reading your previous posts i doubt it. Haters gonna hate. So, before i recieve your 'smart' opinions or flame on me, i'll just.. Well,**** this, i dont even care. Not from you, atleast.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
His mod, he does whatever he likes. Simple as that. We like it, we play it. We don't like it, we don't play it. He abandons it, infact he has a reason, we move along. His fault, you say? Did he ever say his mod will be eternal? That he will never abandon it? Heck, is it even his payed-job or duty or something? No. But he didn't abandon it, he's changing it. And for the good.
Now, i tried to express myself as simply as possible so you could actually listen to someone, but after reading your previous posts i doubt it. So, before i recieve your 'smart' opinions or flame, i'll just.. Well,**** this, i dont even care. Not from you, atleast.
Being responsible is not a bad thing. I don't know where you people come up with this connotation of being something terrible if you're at fault for something. Many people rejoiced that he stopped EE2 and is changing the system. That too is his fault. ANYTHING that happens with something you have control over is YOUR fault. It's a very simple matter. Whether or not it was his choice, whether he was doing it for fun, any reason at all the fault still lies with him from anything that comes from or is lost from it.

And please; don't use your petty talk with me. Don't sugar coat your words so that they appear to be PC or whatever the new term for it is now. Speak your mind.

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
And please; don't use your petty talk with me. Don't sugar coat your words so that they appear to be PC or whatever the new term for it is now. Speak your mind.

I believe they were already speaking their minds, they just don't happen to be agreeing with you.

MachineMuse

Jul 29, 2019
Being responsible is not a bad thing. I don't know where you people come up with this connotation of being something terrible if you're at fault for something. Many people rejoiced that he stopped EE2 and is changing the system. That too is his fault. ANYTHING that happens with something you have control over is YOUR fault. It's a very simple matter. Whether or not it was his choice, whether he was doing it for fun, any reason at all the fault still lies with him from anything that comes from or is lost from it.

You may wish to look up the definition of 'fault' so you can stop being objectively wrong at least.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
You may wish to look up the definition of 'fault' so you can stop being objectively wrong at least.
Weird. I'd never heard of fault being defined as something exclusively being responsible for a wrongful act. Thank you though. My point still stands that he was responsible for anything that happens during it. Good or bad. I was merely using the wrong word in areas.

Edit: Although one of the idiom definitions is finding blame with someone which is defined as holding someone responsible. Regardless I can see where the negative connotation was drawn from.

MachineMuse

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, nobody has actually corrected themselves after I told them they were objectively wrong before.

I... I'm lost and confused and don't know what to do, now.

Um, anyway, I guess I still stand by my opinion 'who cares who's responsible, it's up to you to make what you want happen'. or something.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Wow, nobody has actually corrected themselves after I told them they were objectively wrong before.

I... I'm lost and confused and don't know what to do, now.

I'm glad I could be the first then.

Um, anyway, I guess I still stand by my opinion 'who cares who's responsible, it's up to you to make what you want happen'. or something.

While this may be true I find it unethical in certain situations. For example I could code a perfect replicate to EE2 in end result(minus textures) without copying the code. This to me is still very unethical. I disagree with most in that I value ideas far more than code because coding is easy(to me).

More than that though the responsibility of anything that may happen with the mod, in this modpack for example, which regardless of the ability to configure it they will still be blamed for it. As a more realistic example: During the great depression in the US President Hoover was blamed for the economic downfall when in reality the errors came from his predecessors, and thus went down as one of the "worst" presidents in US history. The president after, however, received the praise for all the fixes that Hoover put in place during his administration but did not come to fruition until after it was over. So does it really mean anything? It's up to the person being held responsible. If they can withstand all the blame the community can bring to bear then it does not, but much of the time this is not the case.

MachineMuse

Jul 29, 2019
I'm glad I could be the first then.
\o/ Praise the sun!

While this may be true I find it unethical in certain situations. For example I could code a perfect replicate to EE2 in end result(minus textures) without copying the code. This to me is still very unethical. I disagree with most in that I value ideas far more than code because coding is easy(to me).
o_O ? Have you actually tried making a mod? You will change your mind pretty fast if it catches on. Whenever I post an update to MPS or a question about where to take it, it sparks people's imaginations and they start posting more and more ideas with less and less relevance, hardly any of which are ever original, until I lose my patience and make a fool of myself and it's awkward and they stop. Andrew2448 posted a thread on Reddit and it got over 200 replies in a couple days.

Or are you in the position of saying, "I would make a mod but I don't have any good ideas and I don't want to steal anyone else's?" To me that just seems like an excuse to continue being complacent and doing nothing instead of using your skills to really take part in something. If you do the same thing as someone else, but better, people will hardly think twice about switching over. That's not unethical; the question is why are they not doing it as well as you? Is it because they're unmotivated or don't have time and only maintaining the mod because so many people rely on it? Then you'd actually be doing them a favour by taking it over. Is it because they're not as skilled a coder as you? Then they should try and learn from you, not stop you. I mean, no idea is truly original and I just don't understand the mentality of treating ideas as property that can be denied someone else on the basis of you having it first.

Maybe what you meant to say is good ideas are more valuable than code, in which case I would still disagree because a good idea executed poorly is a waste of both code and ideas. To me, good design > good code > good ideas > unoriginal ideas > shoddy code > poor design.

In my case, because I seem to be doing OK on the design, code (arguably), and ideas part, it's actually art assets which have become the thing I most appreciate from others - icons, sounds, textures, and models.

More than that though the responsibility of anything that may happen with the mod, in this modpack for example, which regardless of the ability to configure it they will still be blamed for it. As a more realistic example: During the great depression in the US President Hoover was blamed for the economic downfall when in reality the errors came from his predecessors, and thus went down as one of the "worst" presidents in US history. The president after, however, received the praise for all the fixes that Hoover put in place during his administration but did not come to fruition until after it was over. So does it really mean anything? It's up to the person being held responsible. If they can withstand all the blame the community can bring to bear then it does not, but much of the time this is not the case.
I don't follow. You're saying that modders shouldn't discontinue their mods unless they are willing to face the community backlash for it? Like, what does that even mean? If someone has anxiety issues then they should keep updating their mod OR ELSE? I think we have seen an 'update your mod OR ELSE' situation before and it was pretty despicable.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
o_O ? Have you actually tried making a mod? You will change your mind pretty fast if it catches on. Whenever I post an update to MPS or a question about where to take it, it sparks people's imaginations and they start posting more and more ideas with less and less relevance, hardly any of which are ever original, until I lose my patience and make a fool of myself and it's awkward and they stop. Andrew2448 posted a thread on Reddit and it got over 200 replies in a couple days.

Or are you in the position of saying, "I would make a mod but I don't have any good ideas and I don't want to steal anyone else's?" To me that just seems like an excuse to continue being complacent and doing nothing instead of using your skills to really take part in something. If you do the same thing as someone else, but better, people will hardly think twice about switching over. That's not unethical; the question is why are they not doing it as well as you? Is it because they're unmotivated or don't have time and only maintaining the mod because so many people rely on it? Then you'd actually be doing them a favour by taking it over. Is it because they're not as skilled a coder as you? Then they should try and learn from you, not stop you. I mean, no idea is truly original and I just don't understand the mentality of treating ideas as property that can be denied someone else on the basis of you having it first.

Maybe what you meant to say is good ideas are more valuable than code, in which case I would still disagree because a good idea executed poorly is a waste of both code and ideas. To me, good design > good code > good ideas > unoriginal ideas > shoddy code > poor design.

In my case, because I seem to be doing OK on the design, code (arguably), and ideas part, it's actually art assets which have become the thing I most appreciate from others - icons, sounds, textures, and models.

Not on minecraft because I dislike Java but on other games, yes. Replies and "ideas" are plentiful but nothing that I see as interesting. And it may be an excuse but that is my personal ethical code of conduct. I would never take an idea and do the exact same thing only more efficient. I would instead offer my help to the person who has already made that idea their own. If someone else wishes to do so then that is up to them. It doesn't make them any less in my eyes.

See for me Design and ideas are always on top. That might just be to me since I have no real good sense of either. I would also totally put textures and such WAY above everything else since I have no artistic ability whatsoever lol.

I don't follow. You're saying that modders shouldn't discontinue their mods unless they are willing to face the community backlash for it? Like, what does that even mean? If someone has anxiety issues then they should keep updating their mod OR ELSE?

They shouldn't start one in the first place if they can't. Many people can't handle criticism or handle people disagreeing with the way they want a mod to turn out. Personally this is one of the reasons I don't mod for minecraft. I dislike having people tell me what to do or having people rage at me. For example if I were the one making GT; with the amount of rage about it I would stop the mod. I don't deal well with pressure of that type. It may seem trivial to others it is not to me.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
You simply reek of a sense of entitlement.
Really now? How does telling someone if they can't handle the inevitable backlash from anything they do on a project made for the public to not make said project relate to entitlement. For the record I despise entitlement. If you don't want to do something yourself then you're left with whatever people will give you. This will not stop people from raging about it or causing backlash, though. But before I explain myself any further I'd love for to explain why you'd classify me as such.

MachineMuse

Jul 29, 2019
Not on minecraft because I dislike Java but on other games, yes. Replies and "ideas" are plentiful but nothing that I see as interesting. And it may be an excuse but that is my personal ethical code of conduct. I would never take an idea and do the exact same thing only more efficient. I would instead offer my help to the person who has already made that idea their own. If someone else wishes to do so then that is up to them. It doesn't make them any less in my eyes.
I see. Well, I think that's an important distinction. There's also the issue that the license may be incompatible. When I was first looking at modding as a thing that I might want to do, IC2's license was very proprietary and if I wanted to support it, I would have had to restrict myself to only IC2. They've since made the API open-source, but I want my mod to be open-source for many reasons. If I was to go to the IC2 team and be like, 'hey, let's make MPS part of IC2, but only if you make IC2 open-source' I somehow doubt that would go over well. (I actually tried this with Xycraft... :p the answer was a definite 'maybe...but only partly, and only when it's cleaned up internally').

To me, it seems unfair to be restricted in what I want to do, if it's within my skill and power to make it happen, just because someone else had the idea first and doesn't want to share. Making a better or different version doesn't harm the creator directly, and by that same token, they have no right to control me.

See for me Design and ideas are always on top. That might just be to me since I have no real good sense of either. I would also totally put textures and such WAY above everything else since I have no artistic ability whatsoever lol.
I guess I hear that a lot and I just can't relate because ever since I was little I've been constantly analyzing, 'why do I like these games so much? what is fun about them? what am I actually getting out of them? how could I make this better?' So to me there is a very refined sense of what things should be in terms of design - whether or not I actually meet them is another story, but it's a very clear goal to strive towards.

As for ideas, it's not hard to look at something you love and say, 'wouldn't it be great if...?' Bringing it from that nascent state to a tractable, balanced, and most importantly pleasing design is the hard part.
They shouldn't start one in the first place if they can't. Many people can't handle criticism or handle people disagreeing with the way they want a mod to turn out. Personally this is one of the reasons I don't mod for minecraft. I dislike having people tell me what to do or having people rage at me. For example if I were the one making GT; with the amount of rage about it I would stop the mod. I don't deal well with pressure of that type. It may seem trivial to others it is not to me.
See, this is a bit ironic because I'm frequently chided for not handling criticism well, but I feel like you're telling me what to do by saying I shouldn't mod if I can't deal with it. Why not? I like the positive attention that I get, and I like playing Minecraft and I like using my mod and I like seeing people using it and finding it useful. To me, that outweighs the complaining and the backlash that I get from being rude to people who complain. I also find it a little bit amusing when someone asks a stupid question and others start making jokes about running for cover because they know I'm about to blow up at the person.

So no, I think it's a lot more complex than saying, 'you shouldn't start modding if you can't handle the pressure'. People learn and grow and adapt. When someone burns out, it's sad, but the community moves on, and so do they. And I think it's inarguable that the person who burned out learned something about themselves, about people, about coding, and about life in general. Meanwhile, we mine, we fall in lava, we curse, we respawn, we make new tools, we mine some more...

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
To me, it seems unfair to be restricted in what I want to do, if it's within my skill and power to make it happen, just because someone else had the idea first and doesn't want to share. Making a better or different version doesn't harm the creator directly, and by that same token, they have no right to control me.

This here is well said. And what drives a modding community. Not any of this tip toeing around other peoples mods becuase you might offend them by being to sillumar or any of that nonsense.

Mod becuase you can. And doublely so if you think you can do something beter or diffrent then someone else.