Where are all the decent servers?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

psp

Jul 29, 2019
The last server I played for more than a week... well... That's a story. Let's just say it ended up with me banned on a server I had played on for more than a year and a half.
Haven't really done any multiplayer stuff till I played on @jordsta95 's server for a bit. I just don't see the effort being worthwhile. (Playing on a server)

Equitime

Jul 29, 2019
I have a small close knit community on my server (whitelisted). We don't build necessarily together but we all help out. The problem I find is keeping players, they just wander off. It also doesn't help if the map gets killed etc or when we decide to change modpack, I find that also puts players off. They don't stick around to see the fix/explore the new pack. Also advertising said servers needs to be improved both so servers can find good players and vice versa.

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
Recently a server I played on shut down. From that moment on I've been looking for a new server to call home.
One of them was very promising, but in the end started lagging so badly.. And with the owner not having enough time to fix it, I had to move on.
Now I've been hopping server to server with a friend, and they all have either a ridiculous amount of items banned so they can enforce towny (and promote griefing if you don't want to vote for the server daily to get enough points to keep your town up), or have an obnoxious community of people logging in, getting your taglock and messing with you through witchery, "for teh lulz".

Where are the decent servers that allow for a friendly gameplay, pvp only enabled to make pve harder (I.E. not shooting your buddies), no banned items so you can play the modpack as intended..
Right now I'm not even interested in what modpack it is, so long as no items have been banned.

So, here's my question.. Where are all the decent servers? Your turn.
I havent found a good one since stonebound twiice

Reactions: TwiiCe

TwiiCe

Jul 29, 2019
@Nefroz Might aswell start something similar up myself. I'm not sure about the costs, If only people will be willing to donate for once :p..

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
well it can get pricy for a big server, and you need a lot of ram for modded MC so you wont lag out. If you wanted something I would go for a small 10 to 20 slot server and whitelist people you know.

Reactions: RedBoss

TwiiCe

Jul 29, 2019
well it can get pricy for a big server, and you need a lot of ram for modded MC so you wont lag out. If you wanted something I would go for a small 10 to 20 slot server and whitelist people you know.
My idea exactly.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if you get your server from Websound you can get 4gb (which is pretty much all you need for what you are asking) for about £15 a month. And that's about as cheap as I have found them...
Cheaper servers are around, but if you find cheaper, you probably won't get good, if any, support.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
But I suppose you could help the problem by choosing a narrower, more balanced modpack that is more focused on exactly what you enjoy the most. Then there is the best chance that the other people playing the server feel the same way.
I just wanted to point that I am actually going to try that as I just loaded a public "private" pack that seems cool to me.
well it can get pricy for a big server, and you need a lot of ram for modded MC so you wont lag out.

I would like to kindly inform you that while Minecraft does require a decent amount of RAM, you will need decent SSDs and also a good CPU to really get a server going. An E3/E5 of at least the v2 variant should do you well for a small/medium server.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Mod packs can vary, depending on what you like. I would recommend Ingenuity, because I am biased, and would like to see people trying to learn new mods. But it all depends on what you like :)

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
But the main reason you would recommend is to advertise your own pack *whistles innocently and backs away*
Hence the bias ;)

But honestly, I don't really find playing the same mods over and over again, in the exact same manners, to be fun any more (which is why I made that pack)

But if someone hasn't been playing modded Minecraft for long (maybe they started mid-late 1.6.4) then any pack can be interesting. But most packs use the same sort of mods, that I don't have any issues with. But then those that do have stuff I don't use (for example Reikas mods) will have more mods to dissuade me than persuade me to try it (for example, having Reikas mods, and Lycanites mobs. And you need lycanites to play the pack --- I don't play with mobs, especially ones as OP as lycanites :p)

Jackcat136

Jul 29, 2019
Hence the bias ;)

But honestly, I don't really find playing the same mods over and over again, in the exact same manners, to be fun any more (which is why I made that pack)

But if someone hasn't been playing modded Minecraft for long (maybe they started mid-late 1.6.4) then any pack can be interesting. But most packs use the same sort of mods, that I don't have any issues with. But then those that do have stuff I don't use (for example Reikas mods) will have more mods to dissuade me than persuade me to try it (for example, having Reikas mods, and Lycanites mobs. And you need lycanites to play the pack --- I don't play with mobs, especially ones as OP as lycanites :p)
Is that why you added robo dinosaur laser creepers to the pack?

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Infinity or Ultimate quest pack are generally the best imo
Eh, It may be my inherit dislike of quest type packs in general; nevertheless, I don't think quest packs are good for servers unless specifically tailored for server use.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
After reading through this thread I'm thinking my first server was a lucky find. We are a small group and we would like a few other good players but we play infinity 1.4.1 with ReactorCraft and RotaryCraft added in lag free. There are no banned items nor griefing not that any of us would. We could certainly undertake more elaborate builds together but the server is still young and I expect that we will before the world resets. From where I'm sitting the solution is to find a small private server with like-minded players and undertake some large and elaborate builds preferably using new/little used mods.

Reactions: Padfoote

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, It may be my inherit dislike of quest type packs in general; nevertheless, I don't think quest packs are good for servers unless specifically tailored for server use.

Large servers no, but small community driven ones I say yes to.