When the updated FTB pack is released will you try to "recover" things from your old save file?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

thezeronumber

Jul 29, 2019
Due to the rework of item IDs in the up-coming-and-up-dated FTB pack it is going to be a nightmare for old save files to function: Items might vanish, generation could go crazy or the game might crash and this is assuming the saves would load in the first place. A new save file on a new world is the only way to guarantee smooth sailing. But what about all of the stuff on your previous file? The ores you have hoarded, the contraptions you have made, the buildings slaved over through many day and night?

Some may be disheartened but "c'est la vie" - such is life. Some might not care at all and would rather start from scratch - learn from mistakes and take a different route. Some might miss everything and could only dream of having everything back to how it was.

Regardless of how possible it may or may not be, what would you be thinking when the time comes to swap over? If you had the ability to swap anything over from your old save to the new one would you do it, what would it be and why would you choose it?

Personally, I would miss the goodies I have collected. It's hard to ignore so many hours gone caving and the countless close-shaves I have had when trying to keep said goodies and myself alive. When you have put so much effort into getting what you have got it's a bit of a kick in the teeth to wave goodbye to it all. If I could swap anything over it would have to be all of the items I have stored since day 1: The buildings, farms, machines and everything else can be re-made with enough time.

Rakankrad

Jul 29, 2019
I'm of the "oh well. it's a game" mentality. I'll just make a new world and considering that at that point, the IDs will be standardized. I won't need to make a new save anymore, I'll be able to start building something really neat. I'll just miss my Fortune 3 pickaxe for gathers.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
New start, learned alot from my first server world, hopefully improvements in the mods will help with the tick rates a bit.

Tenebrion

Jul 29, 2019
Definitely my bees. The other things you can always get within a night with the knowledge I gathered with the alpha pack but the bees since they are very much based on luck and time that'll be a pain to get back to what I got now. But hey we've changed map every 6 months since SMP came to minecraft so I'm used to it, also it'll be a worth trade for redpower!

Froghandler

Jul 29, 2019
Definitely start over :) I play for the experience of it, not for some result or product. In fact, my entire world was almost Macerated by the Advanced Machines bug, and I was not upset; I enjoy starting anew.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just kinda messing around in my current world learning various aspects. I'll prob delete the entire thing and start over. I'll definitely be bringing my vanilla world in as a mystcraft realm though..

The resources in my vanilla world... Will give a great start lol. I was working on getting a double chest of every single thing. Didn't quite finish but still have a HUGE storage area with tons of stuff :)

Chrissyhailfire

Jul 29, 2019
i'm a start fresh person. i've probibly ended up restarting maps/servers about once a month this year (fate, server going down computer incidents ect.) while it stinks it happens. each time that i do it i learn something different each time so i learn how to build my homes better and more effecent the next time around. (as well as learning how much space i really do need for wires ect.)

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
When you're forced to make a new save, you can just get back all your stuff with NEI right?

That's what i'll do I think, not done with this world yet, still plenty of stuff to make.

FMAylward

Jul 29, 2019
I will do what I have done for the past however many versions of Minecraft/other modpacks, reset the seed the creative mode remake my main base to a level close to what I had before.

enoch

Jul 29, 2019
Definitely starting a new world. It's actually fun to start fresh and punch a few trees. Allows me to take what experience I've learned and refine them in how I'm going start out this time.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still looking for some sort of confirmation from the FTB team that the updated pack will come with item ID changes that will render beta-pack worlds unusable. Everywhere I go I see people saying it, but I don't ever see anyone referencing a credible source.

What I DO see is the launcher release statement made by Slowpoke indicating that they would do their best to ensure worlds created with the beta pack would be usable through the upgrade to the release pack. So have I missed something between then and now, or are people just assuming?

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
What I've been saying is that the beta pack was made before IDs were standardized between the packs, and that there is no guarantee the Beta pack worlds will be convertible. Both of which are true, the latter in part because of the former. I've seen no guarantee that they won't be compatible either, so it is up in the air right now.

Of course, the big problems will be for those who couldn't wait for things like Logistics Pipes and used the fork(s), which won't be used in the packs due to their desire to use the versions made by the original mod authors.

thezeronumber

Jul 29, 2019
When you're forced to make a new save, you can just get back all your stuff with NEI right?

It would be a very manual process (a check-list of items?) but yes, you could probably spawn everything back in. It's something I have contemplated doing and when the time arrives I will probably "cheat" and reimburse myself for all of the stored items on the old file. Everything else can remain, regardless of how expensive or a pain in the butt it was to make.

There is one thing I will miss: A Nether Fortress 200 blocks from the portal that was made on almost perfectly-flat ground and was nice and open. Finding Wither Skeletons was a breeze on that thing.

FMAylward

Jul 29, 2019
Why not just note down the seed and use the same one? I still have and use the one from my first world created pre beta 1.8, I liked that generation more then what I currently have with normal MC but extrabioms wipes out the location for my main base with a marsh so I have disabled it.

Catarooni

Jul 29, 2019
Am I the only one who is going to try to salvage as much as possible and try to use the same save? I spent so much time on my current base. You will tear it from my COLD, DEAD HANDS.

thezeronumber

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not a huge fan of my world generation (too many floating bits on mountains and too many giant-tree biomes) but it's true that people could use the same seed if they so wished.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
I started playing Minecraft back in Alpha. The most interesting aspect of the game to me has always been that new world feel. The initial build-up of resources and taking what opportunities the RNG tosses my way to realize any refinements in my plans that experience in my last world has taught me. So I generally restart worlds every few weeks/months anyway. Major mod changes just make it an easier decision. In fact I have already gone through two FTB-esque worlds as I, in my ignorance, had turned off mods which I now far prefer to the alternatives. Mods which touched world gen. :)

So this world will join the dozens of worlds that have come before it. I will remember it as I have spent a great deal of time in it. But I look forward to what the next seed has to offer me. The only exception to this is my original alpha world. I still have that one kicking around my backups somewhere and I like popping into it from time to time. Nothing like your first world even if the ladders and railways no longer work. :)